Turbo boost guage

Chris Davies

Hi Chris,

I have a gauge from 0 to 1 BAR the disco, as the pressure goes from 0 to (roughly) 0,80 BAR. It is not properly installed, just lays behind the windscreen and a small rag helps to keep it in place. I plan to make a better install in the defender. Unfortunately there is no provision for backlight, so it only works during the day. Maybe one day I will modify it to add a LED or something like this. It is really cheap.

There are some gauges for petrol engines running from negative values (vacuum) to pressures well above the tdi/td5 levels. All this stuff works in your vehicle too, but my needle trips from one side (0) to another (0.80) with great detail, while the petrol gauges needles only show small movements from idle to full throttle, with the same resolution of the banana fuel gauge in the defender.

I find pressure gauge much more useful than a rev counter, as you have a good estimation of the magnitude of the effort done by the engine. I use to drive guided by the gauge, from 0,4 to 0,5 in cruise, and from 0,5 to 0,7 when I'm in a hurry. 0,8 just overtaking, not mantained longer than half a minute.

Regards,

Carlos

I found a -1 to +2 boost gauge on ebay, works fine, plumbed it into the boost pipe at the Turbo/wastegate actuator T joint.

I thought i read on a tech topic on here, but can find it now :huh: , that it was better to plumb it into the inlet manifold, to get a more accurate boost pressure reading?

ive just plumbed my waste gate pipe into the manifold and t'ed off that to a gauge. i then blanked off the pipe going to the wastegate and left the fuel pump pipe on there. working well so far. thats on my 300tdi though. hamish

Have you got any pictures?

• 7 months later...

So looking to fit some gauges and one of those I want to fit is a boost to my 200tdi, but not sure where everyone is talking about fitting a t piece, and can someone suggest where I can get the T piece etc. to do it. Want ot use a VDO guage to keep with Defender style.

Am I right in thinking that the T piece will go into the Hose Turbo Actuator - RTC5099?

Cheers,

James

So looking to fit some gauges and one of those I want to fit is a boost to my 200tdi, but not sure where everyone is talking about fitting a t piece, and can someone suggest where I can get the T piece etc. to do it. Want ot use a VDO guage to keep with Defender style.

Am I right in thinking that the T piece will go into the Hose Turbo Actuator - RTC5099?

Cheers,

James

photo's of connection point in this link

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2104&st=0&p=21513&hl=boost%20gauge&fromsearch=1entry21513

Hi ,I`ve just fitted a VDO 0-3 Bar gauge.I fitted a T piece into the hose to the fuel injection pump,just before the pump,so the hose has a nice easy route up to the bulkhead avoiding manifolds and turbo.

Various fitting kits are available that include T piece and hose,demon tweeks or merlin motorsport can supply.

I'm using a 0-15 PSI VDO boost gauge and I plumbed it to the manifold using some spare air-locker line. The Toyota CT-20 Turbo I use in the 110 runs 10 PSI at max boost so I get a reasonable sweep from the needle. I put full set of VDO gauges (Air tank PSI, Volts, Boost, Tacho) in a Raptor Console I picked up at Billing '09. They are a good match with the originals and with better illumination.

Ray

NZ