Part number: AMR 4956

Sorry should be AMR 3687

Have acquired a brand new - still in a sealed bag - V8 EFi wiring loom today.

Part number is AMR 3687. It's absolutely no use to me whatsoever so is anyone here able to confirm what the hell it's for so I can get the eBay description accurate!

Cheers

Kev

Have acquired a brand new - still in a sealed bag - V8 EFi wiring loom today.

Part number is AMR 4956. It's absolutely no use to me whatsoever so is anyone here able to confirm what the hell it's for so I can get the eBay description accurate!

Cheers

Kev

Just stuffed that number into EPC it tells me this --------------------

Discovery from VIN FA393361 to WA799999

body electrics

ancillaries

alarms & immobilisation

AMR4956 -- harness console -- illumination

hope that helps :i-m_so_happy:

Great!

Shame I gave you the wrong bloody part number.

What I really meant was AMR 3687.

Go on then, how fast this time....

:rolleyes: EPC doesn't have that one, it must be a newer number than my EPC. not in my Jan 2005 Microcat either. :rolleyes:

I did this the old fashioned way, called 'Ring the Dealers Parts Department'. I did it early before he got overwhelmed and or bored by the day.

You may think asking the Dealer is boring, but in this case it proved 'interesting' but also left a trail to follow up, should anyone apart from Kev B care!

AMR 3687 does not appear on the Dealers Microcat, even looking across all catalogues.

It DOES appear on the LR Database, and is the superceeding part for AMR 3606.

AMR 3606 also does not appear on the Dealers Microcat, and when entered on the LR Database it points to the later part.

However, AMR 3606 is described as an Engine Harness (which engine I didn't enquire).

AMR3687 is described as a 'Wiring Assembly, Brake Skid Control'.

On the face of it, these parts don't match, but my reasoning is that they are both Engine Bay Harnesses, but the later one has more / different connections to cater for this Brake Skid Control.

Now the LR Database doesn't say what car the part fits, but 'Brake Skid Control' must, I feel, belong to one of the later models that allows for seperate braking of individual wheels to reduce the Yaw experienced when a car starts to skid sideways under braking that is too heavy for the road conditions.

I don't keep up with the modern Land Rovers, so don't know which models have Brake Skid Control, at least one of them must have. One of the RR Sport perhaps? 'V8 EFi' may be a bit wide of the mark. I'd start with checking the number of cylinders / injector connectors.

Somebody must have been a bloody big lunch box, that's all I can say.

Oh yes, ebay price.

Given the above, I'm not sure how big the market is for the actual product, unless it's treated as 'lots of wires, all tied together, with some connectors that will never fit anything you have'.

As a guide, Land Rover sell this bunch of wires for £860.73, plus VAT.

HTH, and please post the ebay Item Code for the sale, it should be good for a laugh :-)

Having flattened the original query, I'll drift off sideways.

Microcat Men.

Are you sure you are looking at the month / year database you say you are?

I understood the early Microcat versions came with a modified dll file to enable operation. After several updates of the database this dll file was no longer effective. Later versions of the software came with some replacement files, which were used to overwrite the files deposited by the installation off the CD.

These replacement files seem to date from much earlier, say 2002, and I wonder if the data you see is actually 2005? At that date I'd expect you to see the L322 and Sport Range Rovers, perhaps the LR3 as well. Can parts information for these actually be viewed?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Kev,

Now you've got all this information (and so have we :D ), get prepared for some mega vague and wild questions via "Ask sellera question" once you get it listed on EBay... :P

"Hi, I've got a 1986 Defender which formerly had a NA Diesel but now has a V8 on LPG can you confirm that ths harness will fit my Range Rover?" :huh:

Cheers for the invesgative work David!

Given that Defenders were never fitted with V8s and ABS (I'm almost certain) that rules the Defender out.

My guess is 'Brake Skid Control' is Land Rover fancy speak for ABS, rather than EBD.

Could be a V8 Discovery or a RR loom?

Given that Defenders were never fitted with V8s and ABS (I'm almost certain) that rules the Defender out.

AIUI, latest defenders have brake controlled traction control so why don't they have ABS? Same thing really.

AIUI, latest defenders have brake controlled traction control so why don't they have ABS? Same thing really.

Latest Defenders are indeed available with traction control and ABS package, but these upgrades came along after V8 Defender production ceased.

"My guess is 'Brake Skid Control' is Land Rover fancy speak for ABS, rather than EBD."

My instinct is to disagree, in that reading about the 38A or Disco II I see reference to ABS, but not Brake Skid Control. I haven't done much reading about the L322 and later models.

It gets better.

Google for "Brake Skid Control" (include the " ") and most of the returns refer to the NASA Shuttle design!!

However, further down page 2 we find references to it in relation to parts for the Ford Explorer.

So, I guess it's Ford inspired fancy speak for a feature on the latest LRs, that Ford have obviously had a hand in.

I do believe that's my last throw of the dice. We need an inside contact now!

Cheers, and good night.

Having flattened the original query, I'll drift off sideways.

Microcat Men.

Are you sure you are looking at the month / year database you say you are?

I understood the early Microcat versions came with a modified dll file to enable operation. After several updates of the database this dll file was no longer effective. Later versions of the software came with some replacement files, which were used to overwrite the files deposited by the installation off the CD.

These replacement files seem to date from much earlier, say 2002, and I wonder if the data you see is actually 2005? At that date I'd expect you to see the L322 and Sport Range Rovers, perhaps the LR3 as well. Can parts information for these actually be viewed?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

to use my upto Jan 2005 Microcat, I have to reset my PC's date to 5th Jan 2005, then I can open Microcat & use it like any other program, if I don't adjust the date, Microcat starts then chucks up a error message saying

'the version of microcat you are running is out of date & will not continue to run' 'please update the application & data by installing with the latest version of microcat' then I just click the 'OK' box to make the error disappear, then adjust the date as above to let it run.

Thanks Western for your Microcat response. I'll have to sort through the information I have and reconsider my approach.

I confess that in the past when I've 'date changed' in order to run software, I often fail to change the date back, then people complain of Mis-dated emails :-)

Having said "I do believe that's my last throw of the dice. " I now find something else to add.

Ebay UK item 4645963309

I know it's not the same loom (YMG000660), but it gives a price guide to follow.

RETAILS AT £425.35

Bidding starts at £69.99

I like his patter:

100% BRAND NEW GENUINE RANGE ROVER PART

VERY RARE FIND INDEED