suitable electric fan

Easiest thing, without giving a list of all the cars that might be in your local scrapyard, is to use a tape measure on your car, and then use it again on the cars at the scrapyard. Also look at how the fans mount, some are in horrible funny shaped cowlings, others can be modified to fit quite nicely with minimal hassle.

Easiest thing, without giving a list of all the cars that might be in your local scrapyard, is to use a tape measure on your car, and then use it again on the cars at the scrapyard. Also look at how the fans mount, some are in horrible funny shaped cowlings, others can be modified to fit quite nicely with minimal hassle.

In an "old fashioned" scrap yard maybe... but the one round here don't let you go prodding around yourself :( thourghly disapointing..

I have a Mondeo Electric fan attached to the rear of my 200 tdi Rad and it really shift's some air when I switch it on-so Much so that when I hold a piece of A4 paper to the front grill it' holds the paper to the grill-this is through the full width intercooler too by the way

HTH

John

Do you fit the Mondeo plastic cowling as well and does it anywhere match the Land Rover radiator size?

From looking at eBay it looks like some Mondeos had twin fans which would work nicely with the Xfan controller.

David

There are 2 models of fan unit double and single, one might be related to petrol models of Mondeo the other diesel?, I stand to be corrected, but when I was doing some investigation I found the twin fan set up would be a bit of a tight squeeze around the intercooler output, opted for the single fan and with very little modification to the mondeo main fan outer assembly, its very similar size to the Land rover radiator size.

From my experience on fitting leccy fans to my V8 Rangie, the twin fan Mondeo setup is supposed to be from a V6 model with aircon, though of course may be fitted to other variants. The twin setup fits a Rangie/Disco radiator VERY well, but I would think it would be way too large for a defender one, especially with the intercooler hoses in the way etc.

well it sounds like mondeo it is then :-)

my local scrappers dont allow you to go prodding around either you tell them what you want they tell you how many DAYS it will take for them to get it off. it is rather disapointing id love to do it myself.

my local scrappers dont allow you to go prodding around either you tell them what you want they tell you how many DAYS it will take for them to get it off. it is rather disapointing id love to do it myself.

Have you tried Dewsbury Road scrappers in Ossett? As far as i know they still let you have a nosey. Remember changing radiator on my capri outside there many moons ago

• 4 weeks later...

Ayup Gaz, how did you get on with the fan?

I forgot to mention that Cooper Bridge scrappers is now a building site!

There is also a scrap yard in Horbury opposite from Ship pub between taxi place and granite worktop showroom.

Let me know how you get on as i'm thinking about doing same thing to mine.

When weather gets a little milder that is.

Cheers Chris

Dewsbury Road scrappers definitely let you prod about for the more obscure parts they dont normally take off the vehicles - but they do remove a large amount and have it on shelves in the main building now.

Love going there, plus i recommend Express Tyres next door to the scrappies for any work on your landy that you dont have time / cant do yourself. Couple of the chaps in there are time served landy mechanics from dealers and places like 4+4 in leeds and they really know what they're doing.

Nick, are you in Ossett with a black n red 90?

If so i bought them tyres off you t'other month off t-ebay!

I used to use express tyres years ago- for tyres.

I didn't know they did repairs.

Don't forget Simon Services n all, can't praise him enough.

He's pressed bushes n gave me a few freebies too and he even opens sundays!

Hey Gaz, what defender have you got is it a tdi?

Know what you mean bout the little jobs.

My list is ever increasing.

Keeps us out of mischief though eh?

Cheers Chris

hi

try a cavalier 1.7td fan-fits my 300tdi disco very well and only cost me a few quid from my breakers as nobody has cavalier diesels any more so parts are not needed!!

you can use the cavalier cowling aswell but needs a bit of cutting to fit. works very well on mine and pulls loads of air-it sounds like its gonna take off when its running!! wired through a 70a relay and 40a maxi fuse to a switch inside and never had any problems. relay bout a fiver on ebay or from a scrap rover 200 diesel(glow plug relay) and maxi fuse from any scrapper

Nick, are you in Ossett with a black n red 90?

If so i bought them tyres off you t'other month off t-ebay!

Cheers Chris

thats is i - guilty as charged!!!

yeah, express tyres do alot of landrover repairs and also MOTs. Dewsbury 4x4 send their customers to express tyres for MOTs too. They even have a rovacom for resetting stupid electrics on the wifes D2 etc.