Rear floor section (aluminium) advice please

willfromsussex

Rear floor section in 2 door rangie, looks like the guys at the factory just cut it from a sheet of corrugated aluminium. Its just a rectangle of profiled sheet, do you think they got that stuff in from somewhere (already used for something else industrial etc) or is it a bespoke part do you think?

Mine is full of holes mostly started where the rivets are , I could get someone to TIG all the holes up but there are so many it would cost a small fortune. I guess using just flat sheet would be too weak/noisey/unsuitable, I missed out on a new old stock floor the other day on e-bane, what have other people done, or anyone got a half decent floor?

Ta

Later cars had steel floors which you can still get.

Do you have a link please?

When I looked you could only get steel floors for Discos (which are shorter) - I was unable to find one for an RRC. It would be great if somebody has started up making them (or has found a source)

Later cars had steel floors which you can still get.

News to me, I was under the impression that only Disco panels were still available & that you had to 'join' two together to replace a RRC floor. I stand corrected if I have been mis-informed.

Rear floor section in 2 door rangie, looks like the guys at the factory just cut it from a sheet of corrugated aluminium. Its just a rectangle of profiled sheet, do you think they got that stuff in from somewhere (already used for something else industrial etc) or is it a bespoke part do you think?

Mine is full of holes mostly started where the rivets are , I could get someone to TIG all the holes up but there are so many it would cost a small fortune. I guess using just flat sheet would be too weak/noisey/unsuitable, I missed out on a new old stock floor the other day on e-bane, what have other people done, or anyone got a half decent floor?

Ta

Make one - with the pattern hammered or rolled into a flat sheet.

Do a web search on a pullmax (or similar type machine) machine and use beading dies. If you can find someone with one of those you are sorted.

I just recently bought a mahcine liek this for £200 but I'm in Ireland and I don;t have it up and running yet.

I'd say if you put a call out on http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/ there would be someone on there who could make one. I know there is at least one guy on there with a Trumpf reciprocating machine.

• 2 months later...

Got the floor (thanks James) Just tried the floor for size, too short! Now I realise the 'old' floor was the wrong one with the car (car was in bits) . I guess the 4 door has a shorter floor. Maybe I could cut the best end off my old one and get it welded to the new one! (or I could a bit of a bodge and cut them both so the join is where one of those support beams goes across, and rivet both pieces to the support!

Aaaah, interesting. The width of the valleys on the top one seems pretty spot on, (just measured mine) but too tall (Range Rover only 15mm)

The bottom one with 12.7mm height is closer, but no width is given. Do you think it is the same as the top one?

And 2.28 metres wide, can be cut down, but I wonder if the low points land exactly in the right place ?

How long is each bit?

And how much are they ? :)

Will