pointers in the right direction

hey guys and girls have any of you made a spare wheel carrier for the bonnet that accepts a alloy wheel if so could you give me some pointers of the best way to reinforce my standard bonnet or if any one knows of a off the self one even better i did see a mantec bonnet wheel carrier (not sure whether it was for a alloy wheel) a while back but have not been able to find it anywhere on there new site

many thanks

daz

far as I know the LR genuine bonnet spare carrier is common to both steel & alloy wheels, but most vehicles fitted with alloys just have the rear door carrier, Td5 bonets aren't strong enough for a spare carrier & LR say they don't fit them as the gap between engine/bonnet isn't big enough & to prevent damage to the injection system/top of engine.

Can't help with your question, but regarding the gap under the bonnet, if you remove the engine cover (soundproofing) you'll give yourself at least 1" if not 2" extra space for strengthening.

That's if TD5 Defenders come with the engine cover on??

I have got a bonnet mounted spare and the strengthening bars are just bits of channel that fit into the frame of the bonnet, either side of the fixing plate for the mount.

It seems a little feeble but must work as they are factory mounted like this. They are expensive to buy I think they are about £18 each side for a bit of shaped channel and this is spot welded to the bonnet.

Cheers

Defender bonnets dont like having a spare wheel fitted reinforced or not, the earlier bonnets eg90/110 are stronger (as are rest of panels :ph34r: ) JMHE

Thats true as my 86 bonnet is much sturdier than the newer defender bonnets I have seen on friends trucks...economy measures and keeping cost down I supose.

Land rover never made a spare wheel carrier for the bonnet suitable for alloy wheels. The only type of bonnet mount I know of uses the centre hole of the steelie to mount through. For the 1(?) year that the Camel Trophy used alloy wheels they just used a normal rear door wheel carrier bolted to the bonnet. Guessing they had some extra strengtheners under there somewhere :)

Land rover never made a spare wheel carrier for the bonnet suitable for alloy wheels...

They did make a kit for alloy wheels, the kit was part number STC7686, as opposed to STC7633 for steel wheels.

STC7686 is now listed as NLA, while STC7633 has been replaced (according to LRSeries) by LRSBOSPW, see here -

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=50756&view=findpost&p=458267

However, the retaining ring for alloy wheels is still listed in Microcat -

post-148-091815100 1290445145_thumb.jpg

These pages from the instructions for STC7633 show the kit contents and the method of retaining a steel wheel -

post-148-003437700 1290445186_thumb.jpg . post-148-076080900 1290445178_thumb.jpg

These pages from the instructions for STC7686 show the kit contents and the method of retaining an alloy wheel -

post-148-031071300 1290445238_thumb.jpg . post-148-082016300 1290445255_thumb.jpg

They did make a kit for alloy wheels, the kit was part number STC7686, as opposed to STC7633 for steel wheels.

STC7686 is now listed as NLA, while STC7633 has been replaced (according to LRSeries) by LRSBOSPW, see here -

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=50756&view=findpost&p=458267

However, the retaining ring for alloy wheels is still listed in Microcat -

post-148-091815100 1290445145_thumb.jpg

These pages from the instructions for STC7633 show the kit contents and the method of retaining a steel wheel -

post-148-003437700 1290445186_thumb.jpg . post-148-076080900 1290445178_thumb.jpg

These pages from the instructions for STC7686 show the kit contents and the method of retaining an alloy wheel -

post-148-031071300 1290445238_thumb.jpg . post-148-082016300 1290445255_thumb.jpg

well well thanks very much for the detailed info paul you have got me thinking now

Land rover never made a spare wheel carrier for the bonnet suitable for alloy wheels. The only type of bonnet mount I know of uses the centre hole of the steelie to mount through. For the 1(?) year that the Camel Trophy used alloy wheels they just used a normal rear door wheel carrier bolted to the bonnet. Guessing they had some extra strengtheners under there somewhere :)

interesting im going to have a look at this in more detail and work out how much work it would take to make it secure thanks L.F.E for input

That link from Ralph to the difflock article got me interested too, but I've contacted the manufacturer RR Concept in France, and it is no longer made. I think it looks to be the best solution I've seen to mount a spare to the bonnet. Just an aside on the pressed steel standard LR wheel carriers on later defender rear doors, we used a td5 hire fleet in 2003 in the Balkans with most of the driving on rough tracks and on every single truck the mounting points sheared off through vibrational fatigue.