Detachable Tow Bar

John_T

Due to departure angle problems I am considering fitting a detachable tow bar. However, Southdown tell me they don't do one for a TD5 90 due to type approval issues. Making your own is (I understand) a no no because of insurance/legal issues and the only other type I can find is from those of whom we do not speak and is probably orange.

Any other ideas?

Due to departure angle problems I am considering fitting a detachable tow bar. However, Southdown tell me they don't do one for a TD5 90 due to type approval issues. Making your own is (I understand) a no no because of insurance/legal issues and the only other type I can find is from those of whom we do not speak and is probably orange.

Any other ideas?

Fit a proper NAS rear step with 2 inch receptor. The Anniversary 50, for comparison, had an Anglised version with 2 holes to accept a normal UK spec swan neck tow ball.

However, finding an American hitch with 50mm towball is the problem since they mostly use 2inch. I made a 50mm tow ball to fit the receptor, which is 2inches internal square cross section and has a Ø0.625inch pin with locking clip to hold the towball. I also made a pulling hitch to take a shackle, very useful for off-roading since there is more ground clearance. Only problem might be the insurance angle but since it is made by Land Rover I guess it has type approval for any Defender 90?

Email me if you want some pictures.

I am sure that I read somewhere that the Defender comes under the heading of commercial and therefor is exempt from the need for E marked towing equipment. IIRC, the Defender is either a commercial vehicle or a commercial vehicle adapted for the carriage of passengers - depending on the model. Don't quote me on that.

Chris

Maybe Dave sells them as a tank guard with detachable recovery hitch fo off road use only, if you want to attach a tow ball then that would be your choice.

From the Southdown website:-

"Southdown's Unique Detachable Towing System combines a Rear Fuel Tank Guards with a Removable Drop Plate. Thus eliminating the Ploughing effect that is so often experienced with standard towing equipment.

All of our Detachable Tow Packs are rated to 3500kg in their Standard Format. Available in Black or Zinc Plated 5mm Steel with 10mm Bracketry."

Given this statement they must be happy with their product liability cover.

As JohnT says they don't do one for TD5's.

John

Thanks for all the replies/info guys.

Even trickier than I had at first thought this tow bar thing! My truck is a 1999 model which started out as a hardtop but I have fitted windows and rear seats so I am not sure how this affects anything. I see from the link posted by Western that 1998 is the type approval date (hence Southdown's non manufacture for the TD5) but perhaps I need to check out if my truck is "passenger carrying" according to the law given that they have it as a hardtop.

Thanks for all the replies/info guys.

Even trickier than I had at first thought this tow bar thing! My truck is a 1999 model which started out as a hardtop but I have fitted windows and rear seats so I am not sure how this affects anything. I see from the link posted by Western that 1998 is the type approval date (hence Southdown's non manufacture for the TD5) but perhaps I need to check out if my truck is "passenger carrying" according to the law given that they have it as a hardtop.

You can actually buy one from Land Rover...

They do two types: Part number: STC8051

Which requires a nut and bolt to remove the swan neck tow hitch (the same type as used on a Disco 3) But you are still left with a drop plate that hangs down.

But they also do one for the Australian spec Td5's.

Which looks vitually the same as the one from Scorpian's.... LR part number: RAA621 - your local dealer should be able to order one... I keep meaning to try just out of a matter of interest.

The thing is it comes as a reciever type hitch (same a NAS) so you could either get one of the those bolt on type ball sockets... or I think (but would need to check) you could use the drop plate assembly off a RR - as one of the UK type tow hitches uses a very similar looking NAS type reciever hitch.

Which is part number: VUB000720 (or try someone like Equicar)

Ian

The thing is it comes as a reciever type hitch (same a NAS) so you could either get one of the those bolt on type ball sockets...

See my reply at top, if it is a genuine LR part it should be type approved, except possibly the TD5 needs a new approval?