Well I nearly died!

Bigant

Dear All

Following on from my recent post "best suspension set up for trialling" thanks to all for the advice and suggestions, my wife, whilst reading my latest copy of LRO, dropped the most amazing bombshell when she said, "why don't you do these winching events"

I have now recovered, and as I was able to record the comment I am now looking for advice on the following;

Whats the best suspension set up for a vehicle that will compete in both trialling and challenge events?

For a beginner, what sort of front winch should I look for?

Is there a series of events for beginners?

Will I need a winch on the back as well as on the front?

Am I right in thinking I will need an MSA licence?

Are helmets compulsory in winching events?

My trialler has a V8 engine should I be considering a change to 200 or 300 tdi diesel?

Thanks in advance

Bigant

descrive your truck re suspension suggestions a a start

Buy wifey some flowers - keep her on the right track of whats good :D

Nige

Hi Nige

Its based on an early 1970's range rover chassis shortened to 88" wheel base. Series rear tub with a defender style flat front. Truck cab with full roll cage. 3.5 V8 engine on carbs mated to 4 speed manual RR gearbox. Rear suspension layout is early RR in terms of rear shocks. Currently sitting on standard height standard coil springs.

Hope this helps

Bigant

The best suspension to start with is the one youve got,cause youve got it and its free!! get out there do some events ,think about whats happening then you can decide what you need plus you will have had some fun in the mean time.You need a licience for challenges organized by MSA afiliated clubs but not usually trials. Winch needs to pull the weight of your truck by a good margin and personally i would get the best i could affoard as it saves wasting money upgrading later and at the end of the day if you pack in a modded 8274 (not the only good winch just a easy one to start with) will recoup your money.

Ooooo Yes, spark control only :)

Keep carbs and bin dizzy and be waterproof

Nige

Interesting, thanks for the heads up on this, once I have got my suspension etc sorted I will be down to see you! Is the kit to do the conversion expensive?

Bigant

Hi Nige

Its based on an early 1970's range rover chassis shortened to 88" wheel base. Series rear tub with a defender style flat front. Truck cab with full roll cage. 3.5 V8 engine on carbs mated to 4 speed manual RR gearbox. Rear suspension layout is early RR in terms of rear shocks. Currently sitting on standard height standard coil springs.

Hope this helps

Bigant

My thoughts are that the 88" wheel base is a bit short for a challenge truck, standard 90 length (93"?) or some people go for 100" as they are more stable on hills.

Also if you do a suspension lift your prop angles are probably going to cause a problem.

A V8 can quite good in water, what to watch out for is water in the fuel (that got me twice, as engine running with standard fuel cap under water = water in fuel and engines of any type don't run on water).

Also the other one is ECU under water (but you don't have one), I've never really had a problem with a good coil and 9 and 3 finger rubber gloves (always something else first).

The AWDC Challenger 4x4 series is aimed at newcomers to the sport and provides a good social side as well as encouragement and help from more experienced competitors. There is a handicap system in place so as a Novice you have a fighting chance of honours on the day.

Full details are HERE

For this series you will need an MSA Clubmans license, you don't need helmets or an MSA spec roll cage if it is a hardtop vehicle.

Plus as you are in Surrey, the organisers are not far away if you want to take your vehicle along for a chat about what might need doing to make it compliant.

HTH

I and some others on here can reccomend the AWDC Challenger series, They are mainly local (ish) events with a very good selection of punches, Some punches are tough and some are pretty much driveable without winching,

Either bite the bullet and enter or come and watch a round ?

Also a great selection of vehicles and A really friendly vibe about the whole event

We started with a bog standard 200TDi 90 truckcab with a 2" lift running 265 Grizzly Claws, a Warn XD9000 winch on the front, and a standard external cage on the truck cab.

Next up was a Gwyn Lewis suspension kit, and 34" Simex Jungle trekkers.

This allowed us to run in standard class, (class 3) for 18 months.

This did us for a while, until a big winter re-build where the cage was extended to include tree sliders down the tub and remove the rear stays to chassis, loose the tail gate and put in more tubes for the wings and rear tub protection. straightened the rear chassis, and put in a tubular rear bumper.

Then 2x modded 8274 winches and a center winch. Tyres went to 35" Simex, beadlocked and synthethic ropes.

Finally, ARB's and Ashcroft shafts with a engine tweek for more black smoke.

with these mods, we were now in modified or class 2.

You can enter any series of events, or pick and choose ones close to you. I would recommend going to watch a couple first!!

You will probably need an MSA license, but check with the organisers first.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would add an update following all of the suggestions, help and advice.

So, I bought a EP9 Goodwinch with a plasma rope which I thought would be a good starting point, then I went down to spectate at the Mud Monsters/GigglePin Challenge event at Slindon and realised I would need a more powerful winch for the front. (The plan now is to use the EP9 as a rear winch)

So I am now the proud owner of a Warn 8274 so whats the best way to attach the 8274, will I need a specific winch bumper?

Is there a "plate" that you can buy that sits between the chassis legs?

The new suspension is fitted, all bar the front shocks as I need some front turrets, see my wanted ad, and although it will be a while before I eneter my first winch challenge, my vehicle will get its first outing on its new suspension next Sunday in a CCV trial.

Cheers

Bigant

unless you can fabricate and have access to a folder there are loads of people selling winch mounting plates, some are better than others some are better than others too

off the top of my head for winch plates try:

Gigglepin 4x4

Gwyn Lewis 4x4

Whitbread Offroad

Devon 4x4

North Off Road

Off Road Armoury

if ive missed any one who does supply them im sorry

its up to you if you keep your bumper it depends on how quick you want to progress but not many people use them now due to them digging in on approach or fitting through tight gaps

Bigant i have some winches for sale and am based in farnham surrey if you want to PM me 1 is a husky in new condition the other an 8274 in standard form.

thanks

Will

Hi will

I have the winches I need for now, its the mounting plates, brackets, bumpers that I need now.

Thanks for the reply

Bigant

unless you can fabricate and have access to a folder there are loads of people selling winch mounting plates, some are better than others some are better than others too

off the top of my head for winch plates try:

Gigglepin 4x4

Gwyn Lewis 4x4

Whitbread Offroad

Devon 4x4

North Off Road

Off Road Armoury

if ive missed any one who does supply them im sorry

its up to you if you keep your bumper it depends on how quick you want to progress but not many people use them now due to them digging in on approach or fitting through tight gaps

Thanks for the guidance and the suggestions, I will check them out and I get an idea of what I need and what it will cost!

Cheers

Bigant