Suggested new Moderators

Les Henson

There's a couple of vacancies for new Moderators for the Getting out there forum, and the Tools/Fabrication forum. There's also the additional benefit of new blood in the team to help keep this website as popular as it is.

The present moderators have discussed this matter for a while now, and we would like to recommend the following (subject to general approval).

Chris Watts (GBMUD) as Moderator of the Getting Out There forum. He has already shown his abilities in this field on several occasions.

Nige (Hybrid-from-Hell) as Moderator of the Tools/Fabrication forum because he's bonkers!

Any suggestions or other nominations please. They may be other moderator position/s in the future, and this is how it will be handled in the future.

This post will remain sticky for 5-days to give you all an opportunity to read/respond.

Les. :)

Just while we're on the subject of moderators, whats expected of one?

Only reason I ask is having just had a quick look at who the mods are i noticed the moderator "Bob" for the military forum. Sorry Bob if you're reading, I have no idea who you are, but your profile shows you with only 6 posts and having last logged on on the 4th December 2005!

Surely if a mod has not logged on to this forum for more than 6 months he's not doing his job properly??

Jon

Jon who knows :)

BOB was keen to join but has disappeared it seems

so a new Military mod will be required too it seems

other than that just trying to keep it ticking along removing obvious spam/expleives and moving posts in the wrong place.

Nige (Hybrid-from-Hell) as Moderator of the Tools/Fabrication forum because he's bonkers!
Dirtydiesel or Jez (dolleylwt) for tools Fabrication

Why not Nige AND Dirtydiesel AND Jez ?

I would just like to add though, I am (on 4 other forums not LR related) a moderator and administrator, it is hard work, requires dedication and commitment if it is to be done correctly.

If people are considering becoming a mod, they should bear (bare?) that in mind, the rewards are few!

Bob is Bob Morrison - Journo for LRM (?). No he hasn't been on here since that date, and we've had no explanantion as to why that is, considering that a lot of people on here supported the 'Bring back Bob' campaign on the old LRE site, I feel this is a bit rude to be honest. If he was ill or somesuch, I would have thought we would have heard about it before now. A new moderator for that forum would be a good idea, as I think it has a lot of potential - Military vehicles being as popular as they are. If anyone feels they can moderate that forum, then they are welcome to nominate themselves for the job.

What makes a good moderator?, well nothing in particular. A bit of patience definitely, thick skin, able to look in on your forum fairly often, once or twice a week is good (Admins can keep an eye on all the forums whenever it's respective moderator happens to be absent).

Les. :)

I nominate Chris for the out there forum and either Paul Wightman or Nick Watts for the tools & fab.

I think a mod often needs to be level headed in responding. One or two of those suggested seem to have a habit of flying off the handle a bit with little provocation when either lubricated by drink or just having a bad day!

Si

Im flattered by the nomination but as Si rightly points out it needs someone with politically correct views, Im too socially insensitive to be a mod, my recommendation as far as the tools and fab goes is that it should go to someone with a broad engineering backround, open to new ideas and not just following the same old path, I really would like to see a culture of positivity towards new approaches to old problems - I think personally DirtyWeasel fits the bill, much more level headed than I ever will be and (a from my point of view) a highly respected fabricator (if you're reading this dont go getting a big head mogboy :lol: )

Why not Nige AND Dirtydiesel AND Jez ?

Rog - can you honestly see us agree on anything??? he's wrong anyway :D

I reserve the right to thoroughly take the mick at any opportunity though (should the northern shed monkey be put in the driving seat)

Ive got a lot of wierdness to build this year so would welcome being able to post stuff that may not be either LR based or have much relevance to the UK scene- not sure how well that would go down??

whoever gets a mod job - my best wishes and good luck - an underated position but without their work we wouldnt have a playground (just please stay neutral!)

now wheres my hoody....... <_<

General comment, directed at no one in particular: I think a lot of the suggestions for mods are based on those who are best placed / most experienced to give advice on the subject of the forum, IMHO this isn't the same as moderating the forum. You don't need to be a mod to give advice / answer questions, and you don't need to be the most experinced in the subject to moderate the forum.

I see no one has put my name forward :unsure:

Or if they have Les has deleted their post :lol:

I'd agree with Chris and Nige for the posts. All the others suggested for the tools and fab forum are more than qualified BUT, Nige is the only one who doesn't fabricate on a professional or semi professional basis. Everyone else on the list has a large workshop at their disposal which I don't think really represents the large majority of the members.

Ah as they don't need experience, I nominate Mark90 then! ;););););););)

Good point Mark, I was thinking the same. No expertise required, what they really need is a sad git that has nothing better to do than be online all the time. ;);):lol:

Steve :P

To be fair i don't really want to moderate the tools and fabrication forum, mainly because i feel i don't have the time to look after such an active forum.

I would however like the chance to moderate the members vehicles forum,

For a few reasons;

It's the forum i spend most of my time in,

It's nice and quiet(ie little work req)

It often doesn't get looked at as often as it could.

The above is in no way a dig at tony or will, who after all have plenty to do elsewhere on here.

On a different note,

I think nige would be ideal.

Not sure about chris watts nothing personal, but i've jut never seen any particulaly tools and fabs type techy posts from him.

What about MARK, MOGLITE, JULES or MARK90, all level headed forum members who (in my opinion) post really well on tech threads

But as said above anyone with a commercial interest should not be considered for the position.

General comment, directed at no one in particular: I think a lot of the suggestions for mods are based on those who are best placed / most experienced to give advice on the subject of the forum, IMHO this isn't the same as moderating the forum. You don't need to be a mod to give advice / answer questions, and you don't need to be the most experinced in the subject to moderate the forum.

I see no one has put my name forward :unsure:

Or if they have Les has deleted their post :lol:

I think a good knowledge of what is being posted is esential for good and proper moderation, afterall you wouldn't want a muppet with no understanding whatsoever moderating the forum would you?

And i put your name forwards before i read your post.

I'd agree with Chris and Nige for the posts. All the others suggested for the tools and fab forum are more than qualified BUT, Nige is the only one who doesn't fabricate on a professional or semi professional basis. Everyone else on the list has a large workshop at their disposal which I don't think really represents the large majority of the members.

I don't fabricate on a profesional basis, it's my hobby.........now :P .

My workshop isn't that big (15"x30")and i share it with rog (898kor).

I don't see that it matters a tiddle anyway, it's not as if i've always had a nicely prepared workshop.

I built my first 2 cars outside with almost no tools, and i'm sure most of the others started off in a similar way.