front underwing auxiliary fuel tank

smokeyone

I may have my wires crossed but I understand it is possible to install

a underwing fuel tank under the front wheel arch - do I have this correct....

Is this something you have to weld up yourself or does someone sell them

and do they just bolt up through the wing or is there a bit more to it.

Thanks

I may have my wires crossed but I understand it is possible to install

a underwing fuel tank under the front wheel arch - do I have this correct....

Is this something you have to weld up yourself or does someone sell them

and do they just bolt up through the wing or is there a bit more to it.

Thanks

Never heard of one - which means nothing, but I'd be wary of such a thing, imagine a series of stones spraying on the tank as a wheel was spinning.

The tank would have to be very well built.

The traditional way of boosting range would be to fit a tank under the front seats.

G.

I have seen something similar done on a Merc G Wagen for water storage, but never for fuel.. I think its too vulnerable to damage from the wheel and from accidents, and also think that it'd be to heavy for the relatively weak aluminium skin to support if the tank was big enough to be worthwhile.

I second the under-seat tank solution. MoD Series LRs have tin under-seat tanks, and LR offered it as an option on civilian vehicles, including rear-tank 109s. Special Vehicles even used the Series top-filled military/optional extra tanks under the right seat of the Tierra del Fuego Camel Trophy 110s (at least on the support vehicles). I have a pair of those tanks, like a MoD 109, in addition to the original rear tank, giving a total of 42 gallons of fuel capacity.

I thought it was usually under the rear wing, opposite side to the stowage locker. Lots of expedition stuff uses under wing/under sill tanks for water / fuel, can't see being under the front wing is any worse than the rear for stones/debris etc.

You can always do under-seat tanks if you haven't already got one under both seats, the H14 hydro winch tank goes under the driver's seat.

I made my own tanks for diesel and hyd. oil using 2.5mm steel , one of the diesel tanks is behind the rear wheel on one side and the other rear wheel box contains the hyd. oil tank , I've had no probs with damage from stuff coming off the wheels. To protect the plastic sight tube on the oil tank I welded a shield around it and have sheet rubber - an inner arch mudflap - between it and the wheel .

If you are looking for under seat tanks pm me :)

cheers

Steveb

I don't think wheel-debris damage is likely to be an initial issue, but stone chipping of protective coverings followed by rusting could be a problem. The sides facing the tyre would have to be thickly double-skinned, like the undersides of Series' fuel tanks to make sure that large stones didn't cause significant damage.

My concerns are still that the location is too prone to accident damage, while the areas under the seats and behind rear wheel arches used for after-market 110 expedition tanks are less frequently damaged, and that the volume of space available doesn't justify the cost and trouble of fitting fuel tanks to these areas.

Since the under-seat tanks can be fitted and serviced, repaired or eventually replaced with off-the-shelf parts, and they carry 12 Gal each, they are a much more practical solution. You would need to fit the out riggers that support the front ends of the tanks to the chassis, but the optional parts catalogue shows these as being fitted with rivnuts and bolts, so you'd be able to do that yourself even if you can't weld.

On the series vehicle there was a hyd tank that was fitted under l/h front wing IIRC but most options used a hyd tank 5 gals under l/h rear wheel box at rear end . As previous mentioned under driver seat tank was an option using top fill mil tank 11 gallon , you could use standard tank with 3 door and a standard filler , and mod standard filler hose with short metal pipe . but not possible on SW . Some Oz series had a under driver seat tank of 16 galls (front end extended under floor). The 110 o/s under wing tank should work with series . Ther is a n/s rear underwing tank for water marketed as well.

My 110 csw has under driver seat top fill tank (50L)and the under rear wheel arch aux tank (48L) as well as the standard rear 90L , yes its a V8 ! The aux tank has been under there since 87 its been no problem with rust, stones and its had to deal with lot of dirt roads etc inc 11yrs in OZ . HTSH

Yes you can fit tank on passenger side as well , if HT then you can even use the standard filler (obviously not possible with SW asthats where door is ) Mil use twin tanks . I had 3 tank setup on my 109 HT rear and one under each seat . I used pump from each front to rear main to prevent any air leak probs with switchover system (diesel)

• 2 weeks later...