Changing Oils.

Well Anaconda I bought a reco PAS box from a reputable dealer and its been fitted and it is also leaking now.. more than the one I took out

^^^ Another good reason to find out before you go :P

Funny enough my PAS box is Disco2 and has never leaked, shame they only fit Disco2's really.

Very nice! However, every time i see pics of welding you or Les have done, it makes me quite jealous and realise that i really need to practice more!

That's all it is - practice and being able to criticise your own work and admit to yourself when you should cut it off & start again, rather than "f*** it, that'll do".

That's all it is - practice and being able to criticise your own work and admit to yourself when you should cut it off & start again, rather than "f*** it, that'll do".

but all of the UK is built on the "f*** it, that'll do" attitude. How can we hope to succeed as a nation if we loose our core work ethic ? Do you mean we should take pride and do things correctly and professionally.

That'll never catch on :lol:

but all of the UK is built on the "f*** it, that'll do" attitude. How can we hope to succeed as a nation if we loose our core work ethic ? Do you mean we should take pride and do things correctly and professionally.

But then you're discriminating against the people who do things wrong

Honestly, as you will likely be using is for EP80/90, I have found them next to useless, they leak air past the seals meaning you struggle for ages to pull the plunger out and then when you push it into the diff/gearbox it's onyl about 1/4 full *AND* its still running down your arm after the dozen or so attempts to fill your diff.

I'm going to take it with me for the diffs and trans to make sure they are topped up. I can't imagine the gearbox will need doing on trip and if/when it does on the big trip i'll get it done in a garage. I will flush it when i do the service on my drive and use it on the finer oils first even then.

BTW its got a much suck as a sucky thing so i can't imagine it will run down my arm. Seems pretty sealed to me and yes, i've had it to bits already. ;) The piston seal is a double lipped rubber thing about 15mm thick. It was £14 so worth every penny.

As other have said, change the box, don't take the new one with you knowing the old one is faulty!!

My 1992 200tdi 90 does not leak oil, apart from a weap from the rear diff input shaft oil seal. This is because the bearings are on their way out, and the seal doesn't last long - I know it needs sorting, time/money situation as usual.

In short, if there's a leak, why? and why hasn't it been fixed?!

Landrovers do not need to leak!!!

These bottles have always worked fine for me....long tube inside the bottle, easy to refill if you buy oil in larger bottles, or of different makes (like if you are on a tour). Just keep the oil in a warm place some time before squeezing... <_<

spirax.jpg

Regards,

Bo

For filling my axles and gearboxes I bought two cheap £12 Lidl garden sprayers. | use one for ATF and the other for EP90. I have had them for three or four years and they have never let me down when refilling the gearbox, transfer box or axles. The bonus is that I don't get oil all over my arms as I used to with those bottles. I have never had a problem with getting pressure and flow with them, even with EP90 in the winter.

What I have done is drill a hole in two synthetic corks, make sure the instead of the holes is clean and then use these as stoppers on the end of the fillers so that they do not get crud in them when they are being stored.

Peter

All good info. I did the front diff today as i was changing the PAS box. I was under the impression their was a drain plug on the front?? Mine doesn't have one so i had to suck it out with the gadget i got. Is this normal?

anyho...changing was easy with the extra large syringe.