Winch Question

stuck

I've just had to make this decision my self. My choices were.

1. stick with the 8274's i have with upgrade mainshafts and freespool drums. spend another 2000-2500 on top housings, 4 motors, 24v alternator, 3 oddysey PC1500's, wiring, alrbrights, etc etc.

2. Go for saley winches front and rear with a goodwinch in centre (which is already fitted). For a fully working system with good quality leavers and crank driven 30cc pump (this allows drive assist) it is going to cost between £5500-£6000.

I have gone for option number two. My reasons are.

1. I really don't think hydraulic is as complex as i first did.

2. The cost. Im getting 2 brand new winches for £6000 maximum. I would not see much change out of £8000 if i went a brought 2 brand new GP84's.

3. I run a 3.5 mazda slt35 290 pound ft of torque and its mated up to an auto box (this combination if used properly will allow drive assist and stop me stalling.

4. well to be honest i just like to be a little bit diffrent lol.

For me the red winch wasnt even a consideration, no freespool and no air switchover between the 2 speeds. Also the electric equivalents have proved time and time again that low line winch does not handle large lengths of plasma as well as an 8274/saley configured winch will.

Thanks for reading guys. Chayten

P.S excuse the spelling gents.

saleys winch is engine driven not pto so drive assist is all possible. Plus due to alot of time and calculations it goes at the same speed as the winch. a very well put together winch with fernominal power.

Barney read it again

He is saying hydraulics to drive the wheels

Well, I've stayed out of this up to now, as everyone's opinion is different on this matter, but its only right that I should try and correct utter nonsense when I see it. So....

1. Of course an electric winch could have pulled out Chris's Hybrid. Otherwise, all the equally-weighted challenge trucks out there would never get out of similar situations with their electric winches! I will caveat that by saying that some may need a double line pull; however, this only shows that the Red winch has a greater pull, not necessarily all that relevant in a thread about competition winches...

True Chris got into the bog using his winch and drive assistance, coming out however with no drive assistance is a very different matter, sure saying a electric winch couldn't do it was over the top, I blame the wine, tho I do think more then some would need to do a double line pull.

2. Once again you have forgotten that we are talking about competition winching here. Of course you want to use drive assist, for a whole number of reasons that have already been eluded to. We all understand that you can use drive assist with a hydro system, the point that is being made is that it can be more difficult to achieve depending on how the pump for the system is driven.

Several posters made the comment you could not drive assist with hydraulic winches, I was pointing out this was not the case.

3. "Enuf" is not a word. Picky I know, but now I've started.....

Oh dear.

4. Your information on the Jackal is wrong, a point I have made at least half a dozen times now, both on forums and in person to Red Winch representatives. The vast majority of Jackals in theatre have superwinches. This is not a slight on your product nor a recommendation for Superwinch, just plain fact. Go on, ask me how I know...

Not my product, I don't work for Red just a happy customer.

I am lead to believe the Jackals are being retro fitted with Red winches, if you know different, then I am very happy for you.

Barney read it again

He is saying hydraulics to drive the wheels

I wrote this with kids in my ear and suddenly realising I was late for work and I don't think my eye's were really open.

lesson don't check lr4x4 before giong to work and think that you can comment. it just goes wrong :lol:

I have a gp twin motor and Ashcroft underdrive, on long steep pulls my 35" Fedimas (8psi) turn at exactly the speed as my winch drum when in low underdrive. Without underdrive it was like riding a kangeroo, either that or a new clutch every six months.

Out of interest, who on the challenge scene is running red winchs, just to compare them pound for pound in a real competition situation,

Carl.

Take the answer to be none then,

I remember a bitching match a few years back with my winch is better than yours,no real conclusion was made,

In truth, The only top end competition winchs are saley hydraulic winch and gigglepin twin set up,both can be drive assisted with what ever gear box you have, its been done for many seasons, PTO like on bath tub are in a different category so cant be compared against the winchs in question, its all about personal choice, you want a saley winch ring saley, if you want a gigglepin rin them, they will give you all the help and advise on respective winchs,

Carl.

So go on then, how much is a Saley winch? We all know the prices of GP's and others?

(if it is already published somewhere ive missed it completely :ph34r: )

Saley winch c/w freespools pneumatic switches motor and whatever size drum you require within reason ie. 10" 12" 14"

£2000 each.

Saley winch c/w freespools pneumatic switches motor and whatever size drum you require within reason ie. 10" 12" 14"

£2000 each.

so you then need pump, pump drive,clutch assembly,oil tank, pipework, filter assembly, one way valve ,pressure gauge.£?

I know you need alternators £100-£200, alternator bracket and belt £50, battery's x2 £150-£300, cabling £30-£100, isolators £15-£60, albrights x 2 £40-£100.

So electric on top of winch could be additional £385-£810 depending on resourcelessness, quality of parts and preferred finished spec.

obviously you could put a winch on and leave everything std and just cable direct to battery but it wouldn't be up to comp spec. it would be suitable for occasional recovery/road vehicle.

custom oil tank £80

manual 1 bank lever £80

over centre valve £40

dog clutch £150

chain/sprockets £60

pump £80

filter and housing £40

guage £10

pipes x7 £140

total £680

John, can you supply all this? I appreciate not pipes as they will be different on most vehicles.

And once you have one winch, to add another saley winch its only going to cost you £2000 (not sure if thats inc. VAT) for the winch and then another manual spool valve £80 and pipes £100ish. (total £2180)

basically, why wouldnt you buy a set? For £4860 you can have an absolutely bullet proof top spec competition winch setup.

for two GP84's its £7380 (inc. VAT) and then you have to add cables, isolators, battery's and alternators.

People seem to be scared of hydraulics, for what reason I don't know. I work and live on a farm, every vehicle and implement we use has some kind of hydraulics on it. They very very very rarely fail. The most common failure is pipe fatigue and splitting due to not mounting and protecting the pipes correctly. That is completely avoidable by making sure everything is protected.

What do you guys use for securing the hydraulic pipes? I've found some giant cable ties that up to it - though I don't know where they came from and I've only got 2 !

We use cable ties with bases for the Hydraulic pipes on the tail boards of the horseboxes, seem to hold fine.

post-22735-0-25946900-1297173596_thumb.jpg

Get ours from here in bulk..http://www.cabletiesonline.co.uk/index.php

We use cable ties with bases for the Hydraulic pipes on the tail boards of the horseboxes, seem to hold fine.

Get ours from here in bulk..http://www.cabletiesonline.co.uk/index.php

Thanks!

They sell in larger quantities than I want - but I hadn't thought of the bases, so I'll look out for some. :)