I want one of these

disco_al

Quite a few modern engines are cheap enough second hand - let's face it, they don't wear out these days so unless they go pop the car is usually in the scrapper because it's been bent or gone rusty before the engine's done any work. Local scrapper was punting BMW 4.4 V8's for around £300 a while back.

Of course, very few people will buy 'em because they have ELECTRICS on them and therefore are completely impregnable to the average spanner monkey. This is where Megasquirt comes in to its own, if it's a petrol engine you're pretty much guaranteed to be able to make it run.

I'm sure when someone can be bothered to put the work in they'll crack it for diesels too, the problem is the R&D relies on people who are willing to tinker and are willing to risk an engine or three to get the bugs ironed out. In the meantime, JE and the like can charge through the nose for their stuff as they have put the effort in to gather the knowledge.

Any links? Interested to see what gearbox was used etc.

Thanks.

ZULU Defender Conversion

Application: The Zulu conversion can be carried out on any post 1998 90" or 110” wheelbase Defender.

Engine: 4.2 litre supercharged TOHC 32valve JLR V8. Modified by JE Engineering to incorporate larger h/t exhaust valves, gas flowed cylinder heads and induction tracts, modified supercharger drive and JE Stage 1 electronic mapping. The vehicle is normally produced with a stainless steel exhaust system incorporating 200 cell sports catalysts. Where noise or pollution issues are not paramount it can be supplied with either 100 cell units or catalyst free.

Power: 420 - 480 bhp (depending on specification) Torque: 550Nm

Transmission: 6-speed h/d manual gearbox or 4-speed ZF automatic transmission. Special uprated prop shafts with heavy-duty cv joints, uprated ½ shafts, both axles up rated with 4 pin front and Quaife rear differential incorporating Dakar spec cwp locater.

Brakes: APRacing

• Front: 350mm grooved ventilated discs with 6pot calipers.
  • Rear: grooved discs with uprated lining material.

Suspension: Full JE system incorporating modified springs, anti-roll bar and uprated dampers. Rallyraid spec dampers incorporating remote, cooled fluid reservoir, to choice

Wheels: 18” Cast alloy 5spoke fitted with 265.60x18 A/T tyres as standard. Image Billet 3-piece wheels at extra cost and road tyres to choice

Guide price: (Standard vehicle with only mildly upgraded trim)

Conversion: 37,400 GBP + Taxes (Does not include donor vehicle)

Huge range of extras - see brochure

Quite a few modern engines are cheap enough second hand - let's face it, they don't wear out these days so unless they go pop the car is usually in the scrapper because it's been bent or gone rusty before the engine's done any work. Local scrapper was punting BMW 4.4 V8's for around £300 a while back.

Of course, very few people will buy 'em because they have ELECTRICS on them and therefore are completely impregnable to the average spanner monkey. This is where Megasquirt comes in to its own, if it's a petrol engine you're pretty much guaranteed to be able to make it run.

I'm sure when someone can be bothered to put the work in they'll crack it for diesels too, the problem is the R&D relies on people who are willing to tinker and are willing to risk an engine or three to get the bugs ironed out. In the meantime, JE and the like can charge through the nose for their stuff as they have put the effort in to gather the knowledge.

I've got some thoughts rattling around my head on this. I've got my eye on a Merc OM606 engine for my series. These have an electronically controlled FIP - all the timing etc is handled mechanically, but the fuel rack is electrical. It would not be that difficult at all to get MS to drive the fuel rack.

You'd need to add a governor of sorts for idle/max rpm, and the code would need tweaking to output a PWM signal on the injector driver - which would drive the actuator on the rack very nicely.

You'd also need a tweak to get power demand from the throttle pedal.

Otherwise, the majority of the MS code could stay put.

From there, to get MS to drive a common rail diesel isn't such a big step.

ZULU Defender Conversion

Quaife rear differential incorporating Dakar spec cwp locater.

Rallyraid spec dampers incorporating remote, cooled fluid reservoir, to choice

WTF is Dakar & Rallyraid spec other than marketing guff? And even if there were a Rallyraid spec for dampers you certainly wouldn't want it on a 400hp road car.

I've read the conversion is very professionally though.

Jesus Fridge, tell me now why dontcha!! :lol:

Phil

Oh...someone else had to buy at full price did they!! Cost me a fortune to sort my L322 out in the end, but now it does have a brand new engine and runs sweet as a nut (running off to touch some wood..quick!)

No no. Id just have considered using one instead of the RV8 if i knew they were that price! :lol:

TBH by the time you've done a conversion and faffed about you're not gaining a massive amount over the far easier RV8 option. Every time I look at engine swaps, when you really look at all the factors it's very hard to beat the drop-in RV8 option.

TBH by the time you've done a conversion and faffed about you're not gaining a massive amount over the far easier RV8 option. Every time I look at engine swaps, when you really look at all the factors it's very hard to beat the drop-in RV8 option.

You need to listern to fridge as he is a class 1 FIGJAM :-)