Have Defenders Become Cool?!

stuck

Gent's,

Had a drive to York today to pick up a new shotgun, whilst driving in the Ripon / Harrogate area I saw lot's of very shiny Pumas being driven by trendy types wearing shades, not one of them returned the Land Rover wave nor did they seem impressed by my very muddy 110 :P

I will admit I haven't read Vogue for a while so have Defender's become fashionable or something?!

Cheers,

Mick.

Have you looked at a new Defender?

They scream bling :P

Really - you can still buy base models. Granted things like the SVX and other so called limited editions are not to my taste nor would they be much use to me but each to their own ...but at least later models have a reasonable motorway ability ..and decent heater. In x number of years time these will be the very motors that perhaps the fourth and fifth owners will be hacking about.

The heater in my Puma is lovely and toasty.

The heater in my 200Tdi is also lovely and toasty, the only difference is that you didn't have to fix yours to make it so :P

Really - you can still buy base models. Granted things like the SVX and other so called limited editions are not to my taste nor would they be much use to me but each to their own ...but at least later models have a reasonable motorway ability ..and decent heater. In x number of years time these will be the very motors that perhaps the fourth and fifth owners will be hacking about.

Yes, you're right. It's more the bling models like the god-awful SVX and the Fire/Ice or Black or whatever tasteless s***e they're peddling this month that I don't like.

As far as the future's concerned, I'm not totally convinced that in 40 years time people will see Pumas in the way we currently see Series IIs. It will be interesting to see anyhow :)

When I was about 20 I borrowed one of my dads 110 it was a white county 12 seater. I was driving it for a week or so and as a young bloke I noticed the ladies liked it ...

so thay have been cool for a very long time as far as I'm conserend.

When I was about 20 I borrowed one of my dads 110 it was a white county 12 seater. I was driving it for a week or so and as a young bloke I noticed the ladies liked it ...

so thay have been cool for a very long time as far as I'm conserend.

Yeah agree with you Jules

Easy to pull in a defender

They are still cool and held in high regard even here in Australia

I can't get the wife with 10 feet of my disco, my kids on the other hand think my disco is the best car in the world. They think its cool and thats all that matters. You are right about york. Loads of nice clean hi spec off roadsers with road tyres on. Think its all this outdoor adventure stuff on TV. They do't seem to look at my muddy disco with the same light when I park it outside in the city centre.

... You are right about york. Loads of nice clean hi spec off roadsers with road tyres on. Think its all this outdoor adventure stuff on TV. ....

but this is a good thing, all those nice sorted trucks (that will never see mud or bash into trees etc) will come on the market after 5-10 years and make ideal base vehicles for us triallers/offroaders!

I think Defenders have always been cool because they're a classless vehicle, they've been used by everyone from new drivers looking for a cheap, easily fixed runabout, farmers and tree surgeons right up to the early rich expeditioners and royalty.

Really if you see someone in a Defender it could be anyone, they might have ten quid in their pocket or a good few million in the bank, but they all appreciate the vehicle for what it is.

There does seem to have been a bit of a change in the last ten years with the huge array of toys, add-ons and bling available, so there is now more of a gap, and it is possible to differentiate between the type of people driving, there are more (and i hate to use this phrase) 'new money' types who buy defenders because they're looking for the landed gentry look, and think a nice new defender will fit in with their new tweed jacket and Holland & Holland shotgun! and they're the ones who seem to spend more money on toys and bling which never get used.

But even when we arrive at the very sad demise of the Defender in a few years due to the fools at the EU, i think it will always be seen and remembered as classless, anti-style, a huge symbol of british motoring and above all, very, very cool!

IMHO :)