Bulkhead buggers

Weather has been nice today. Wish it bloody rained tho, as I wouldn't have been proding the bulhead top corners with a screwdriver. Now got 2 repair panels on the way. Please confirm that I can weld them on without having to remove the wings, the rot does not get any closer than 1cm to the top of the wing (that make sense?) - battered the living bejesus out of the metal in this area so I know it's solid. Also hoping to get away without having to remove windscreen surround (??????). Did see a thread with lots of lovely photos on how to do this, but as usual, can't find the bugger... I am not looking forward to this.....

Jeff, leave the wing on by all means but you'll find that you have more room if you remove it, it's not hard is it ? :)

The rail underneath the windscreen to bulkhead seal will be rotten, best pull the windscreen out too :)

Good luck :)

Mo

Been, seen, T-shirt, twice now ;)

The cause of the rot is either the screen seal or the sealing strip. It might be wise to remove the screen so that you can find even more lovely welding to do :)

Les.

Then WAXOIL it heavily, please.

G.

post-25095-0-19317700-1301062425_thumb.jpgpost-25095-0-65170600-1301062430_thumb.jpgpost-25095-0-15545800-1301062434_thumb.jpgpost-25095-0-11378400-1301062438_thumb.jpgBeen taking some piccies! Not as bad as I initially thought, if one shoves a bore scope (can't get pfotos from that)in through the holes, there is only surface rust - can reach that with a paintbrush and rust killer. Still, repair panels arrived, now need to find just were on earth I stashed the new door hinges... Oh and bought a new fire extinguisher.

Well thats the passenger side finished and looking good. Drivers side will take a wee bit longer... just need to let my left index finger get better. Did you know that machinemart 1mm cutting discs cause self cauterising wounds? I do now. Moral is ON NO F8CKING ACCOUNT TAKE THE SAFETY GUARD OFF AN ANGLE GRINDER SO AS YOU CAN REACH THAT LAST LITTLE BIT OF F8UCKIN METAL, it not only cuts down to the bone (is reaaly white, live bone is, but not for long) but it will also trash your spiffing new welding gloves...........

"self cauterizing" :P been there a few times :lol: takes ages for the groove to disappear

...new flap wheels can be quite a suprise too , but don't ever try an Arbortech carving disc ...I saw tendons, cartilege and bone the last time I ever used one :o

I now have a "special right little finger" that would make a good engineers square at the last knuckle :blink:

Fingers crossed , I'm a little older and wiser now , but every damage free day is a good day...

cheers

Steveb

Yup, it's a Nige. Filling the groove with superglue failed miserably (and hurt like a bast*rd), still you can't see the bone now and the nail is a rite off, not sure what the black **** is though, probably bits of grinding disc...

post-25095-0-40679900-1301423920_thumb.jpg

Now that looks painfull. :o The black will probably be bits of the disc and whatever you where grinding mixed in with bits of mushed tissue. Is your tetanus upto date? Might be worth letting a doctor look at it as you don't want it to get infected, just to check.

Shouldn't the picture say "attached fingernail" not thumbnail!? :lol:

Tetanus is definately up to date! Black stuff turned out to burnt flesh, oxidised metal and grinding disc - no infection probable as I flushed the lot out with Milton Sterilisation Fluid - f*ck me, that hurt more than cut.