Isuzu or 300tdi engine in a 110?

the time will come in the not too distant future to swap the 200tdi out and replace it with something with a bit more gutso.

a mate of mine has a diahatsu 2.8 in his 90 trialer and says it performs pretty well and some other people have put Isuzu engines in.my question is which out of the Isuzu range to go for,2.8,3.0,3.1,3.2?

any words of wisdom or warnings would be gratefully recieved.

many thanks

Ralph

I don't think you'd notice much if any difference in power with a 300TDi.

For other engines -- as the saying goes, there's no substitute for cubic inches...

2.8 timing chain engine. Very reliable

Some of the larger engines were not so good - they smoked and weren't so good.

2.8 timing chain engine. Very reliable

Some of the larger engines were not so good - they smoked and weren't so good.

Erm thought they where either toothbelt or gears! chain is new to me, from what application are the chain ones?

Kind regards

Ole

Another thing to remember is a 110 with a 300tdi in it will be alot cheaper to insure than a 110 with an izuzu engine

I had a 200 tdi in a range rover , when I bought It ,it had a f tranny engine in it and looked at all sorts of engines to replace it and the Landy one was best for several reasons

not really fussed insurance wise.just want some more grunt.Td5 is an option if i can get a reasonably priced one.easy to tune and pretty economical.

the 110 is starting to put on weight when we go away and i don't want to have to thrash the nuts off it to get to a decent speed.

3.0 Isuzus should be avoided, very unreliable. Isuzu here in Ireland were offering €7500 scrappage on 3.0 Troopers last year to try and get sales back, farmers were hauling them out of hedges everywhere :lol:

M&D Engineering (here) do the conversion parts, I think their kit uses quite an expensive clutch which you can only get from them. I did read somewhere that parts availability for the engine is sketchy, but could not verify it myself. Filters etc. should be available from your local factors at least.

The engines aren't cheap, but plenty of power and good (25-35 mpg) is not unheard of. Put "Mazda 3.5 SLTi Land Rover" into Google and read away!

I'm sure someone on here has one in a Land Rover, can't remember who though :(