200tdi running cool.

Hi All

I have a disco 200tdi in my 1988 110.

It had an electric fan fitted when it first arrived but this was strapped directly to the radiator and had holed it.

I swapped the radiator and fabricated a frame for the fan to bolt onto.

The problem was it had one of those copper thermostats that is stuffed into the radiator hose and I could not get it to seal properly.

So I fitted one of these:

http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-Fan.asp

I also have what appears to be a TIM temp gauge and (presumably) matched sender.

With the old thermostat set-up my temp gauge always sat very low. It would read about 70c and then the fan would kick in and it would drop down to 65c.

With the new X-fan set-up my engine gets warmer but now the fan never kicks in.

The temp gauge reads around 75-80c but it has never got over 80c.

Reading the x-fan thermostats info it says that it does not kick in until 88 degrees C which might explain why the fan has not come on yet.

The problem is I am doubting either the x-fan themostat or the gauge and sender but not sure which is right?

Does 75c-80c sound right for a 200tdi for this time of year? Will it only get to 88c when towing or something?

Cheers!

I have a 110 CSW that used to have a 2.5TD, now has a 200Tdi. It has a Kenlowe fan fitted. Through the winter I blanked off half the radiator (I must get around to removing it!). Last week I towed a well laden 3.5T twin axle trailer. Temperature gauge was only fractionally higher than normal and I still haven't seen my fan come on yet!

I wouldn't worry, the cooling systems are very well spec'd on these beasts!

Cheers

Peter

I had an x-eng sensor in my old 200tdi and an electric fan. Don't think the fan has come on once while on-road driving, including trekking up and down the Alps in the summer.

As Peter says, completely over-cooled beasts.

My 90 with Disco 200tdi spent the whole of winter with the needle not leaving the blue segment of my td5 gauge (matched sender and gauge). Only now with the warmer weather is it making it's way to in the white area of the gauge (approx 1/2 way between full left and full vertical)

I also have a kenlowe fitted since the replacement engine was fitted (6000miles ago) and have never had it come on.

Check the engine thermostat, the engine should get up to operating temperature (just left of middle on a L/R gauge) regardless of weather conditions. My 200Tdi was nice and toasty in the snow last December, temperature gauge in the middle and good heat out of the heater.

If the engine thermostat is leaking it will allow the radiator to over-cool the engine and it will never reach operating temperature, this is a bad thing for efficiency, wear and heater performance! Fit a new stat, they're only £11 or so genuine (plus a gasket) and take a few minutes to do :)

My old 200tdi disco used to only reach the right temp when driven, and ideally under load, just tickling along it would start getting cool, and (daft as it sounds) when left at idle as i sometimes do when trialing, the temp would actually fall right off, as the rad was loosing more heat than the engine was making.............

As you've just fitted a new rad, i wouldn;t be at-all surprised if it was in effect over cooling the engine, try driving up a really long hill laden and see if the fan then kicks in....... i too had the x eng switch in my disco, but i cunningly put a light in the cab so i knew when the fan came on......... i also had a switch for it, auto/off/on, so i could manually take control if need be, of switch it off for wading.........

Hi guys

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like my fan behaviour is not that unusual!

I reckon I will swap the thermostat just to be sure.

Can someone confirm these are the correct parts for my 110 with disco 200tdi:

ERR2803 - thermostat 88c

ERR3682 - Gasket

Do I need to buy genuine on this or can I risk pattern?

Thanks

part numbers are correct for a Discovery spec 200tdi, you can check them here >>>> http://www.numcat.ru/landrover/p/32/45543/

I've order a gen thermostat and gasket from Land-Rover-Parts, with postage came to £12.14. So we will see if they are any good.

I believe the gen thermostat is made by WAXSTAT (correct me if i'm wrong).

Western,

btw...part 5 on that link

5 PRC3359 Switch-engine thermostat,Зеленый,Engine Code 12L 2.5 TDI Manual - Gemini

5 ERR338 Switch-engine thermostat,Engine Code 12L 2.5 TDI Manual - Gemini

What are they for? alot of ancilleries on my engine are from the 12L (Disco 200tdi block), that blew up with the faulty oil sensor, and my current engine is an 11L (just found out this is a Defender 200tdi block) one. and it doesn't have one of these fitted.

(Sorry for thread hijack!)

Edited by crclifford

Well that was NOT fun!

So today I decided to pop the new thermostat in my 200 tdi.

All was going to plan - bolts came out with out shearing - cleaned up the surfaces - new thermostat and gasket in.

...tighten it all up being very careful as we are dealing with alloy - gasket still leaking so give it a nip - and strip the thread off the lower casing!

A panicky call to the garage reveals two things - they are booked up for a week and the lower thermostat housings for 200 tdi's are not made any more!?!.

Then a bit of luck - I had stripped the front of the three bolts and this is the only one that has space underneath and had a hole going all the way through..

So with a longer bolt with a nut on the end I managed to get the thermostat and gasket to seal.

And the result? Big difference - the engine comes up to temperature much quicker, gets hotter 80+C, and sounds and feels smoother.

My fan even kicked in!

So questions:

I really did not crank hard on the bolt but still managed to strip the thread. Do these things deteriorate with age?

Is the 200tdi lower thermostat housing really that hard to replace. The part number is ERR492 - does anyone stock it? There is also ERR1499 which is the defender version would that fit?

Well that was NOT fun!

So today I decided to pop the new thermostat in my 200 tdi.

All was going to plan - bolts came out with out shearing - cleaned up the surfaces - new thermostat and gasket in.

...tighten it all up being very careful as we are dealing with alloy - gasket still leaking so give it a nip - and strip the thread off the lower casing!

A panicky call to the garage reveals two things - they are booked up for a week and the lower thermostat housings for 200 tdi's are not made any more!?!.

Then a bit of luck - I had stripped the front of the three bolts and this is the only one that has space underneath and had a hole going all the way through..

So with a longer bolt with a nut on the end I managed to get the thermostat and gasket to seal.

And the result? Big difference - the engine comes up to temperature much quicker, gets hotter 80+C, and sounds and feels smoother.

My fan even kicked in!

So questions:

I really did not crank hard on the bolt but still managed to strip the thread. Do these things deteriorate with age?

Is the 200tdi lower thermostat housing really that hard to replace. The part number is ERR492 - does anyone stock it? There is also ERR1499 which is the defender version would that fit?

Defender 200Tdi thermostat lower section has a different part number --->> http://www.numcat.ru/landrover/p/31/53165/

But uses the same gasket to cylinder head, so the water gallery is the same shape/size, I don't know if the Defender part will fit your Discovery 200Tdi engine -->> http://www.numcat.ru/landrover/p/32/45543/

the cooling system hoses will be different too

Both are now obsolete parts, unless some dealers are sat on 'new' old stock.

Thanks guys.

I think for now I have got away with it as my bolt and nut seems to be holding.

I just concerns me that:

a) Not all parts on my 110 are easily replaced. I had just presumed that everything would be replaceable off the shelf - even bits for the engine.

b) It is so easy to strip the threads on the engine!

Anyway I live and learn. Have just looked up helicoil - it looks like that could be the answer if I have to revisit the thermostat housing.

Cheers

a) Not all parts on my 110 are easily replaced. I had just presumed that everything would be replaceable off the shelf - even bits for the engine.

b) It is so easy to strip the threads on the engine!

Service items are still easily available along with many common parts. Better than any other 10-15 year old car I'd say. For block parts, then you'll have to keep an eye on ebay / local scrappy /friends / here / etc..

I had a 200tdi for 6 years. The thermostat and the water pump where the only parts I found susceptible to stripping as it's a steel bolt in a water filled ally hole :( Now you know for when you have to do the timing belt. :) The solution is lots of copperslip when re-assembling.

Anyway, buy a helicoil. It's an easily accessible place to learn how to fit one. :D

I replaced the lower part of the stat housing a few months back - about £80 I think, possibly from britcar, but was easy to find via google. New part looked like a cheap pattern part and needed some cleaning up before it was fit to use!

Not had to resort to scouring scrappies yet - what can't be sourced from online traders usually turns up on ebay.

Dave.

• 1 year later...

I replaced the lower part of the stat housing a few months back

Dave.

Small thread revival...

I need to change the gasket between the head and the thermostat housing. Will this come off with the head and timing chest in place?