Ferry from mainland Europe to England

popotla

I googled “ferry Europe to UK” and got nearly 31,000,000 responses. For “ferry France to England” there are a mere ten million.

Simply, I want to take my Land Rover Defender 110, a fairly long and tall vehicle, and myself, on any crossing from the Netherlands, Belgium or France to England, probably in mid August . I want to do it as cheaply as possible, night crossing no problem if that’s cheaper, prefer not to book but would do so if that saved money.

Please, any advice? Which crossing should I take? Is there a particular crossing known to cost less than the others? The websites I’ve tried work in a way different to how I’d like them to work: they ask me for route, date and time (to which I’d like to answer “not important” /”don’t know exactly”/ “doesn’t matter”; “please tell me the best price and I’ll be at that port at the right time”.

Yer Norfolk Line are good used them the last few summers.

pick your times right (ie the unsociable/stupid o'clock runs) and it can really be quite cheap

If your towing make sure they don't try and charge you extra as a commercial vehicle. As when booking via the web site they dont have an option for car trailer only caravan.

after explaining to the duty manager that we are towing across Europe for fun... and don't make a living out it they are fine :)

I agree. From Dunkirk to Dover prices start at £19 one way. The ferries are nice and new, well appointed etc. I have used then a lot and would recommend them.

Chris

I always use Norfolk lines to Dunkirk. Cheaper and quieter than Calais.

We use either SeaFrance or P&O, always Calais Dover. The sooner you book, the cheaper, and as said late or early is cheapest.

We're leaving for UK tonight, ferry at Calais at 05.05h, costs €33.

P&O does have a 1.8m height restriction for cars, so I'll have to drop the Range into access mode. :ph34r:

SeaFrance often does bargain deals, usually 2 way though.

Haven't tried Norfolkline yet, but they do seem like a good choice as well.

For the Dover Dunkirk route I have heard good things about Norfolk Line, but they have few sailings each day. For Dover Calais we tend to use P&O; if we get there early you can sometimes get on the sailing before the one you booked, likewise if you are late you can usually get on a later one. The ferries themselves are busy with people kids' coach trips etc, but you can usually find a quiet spot, or pay 5 quid for the lounge.

Sea France have good food if you can talk your way into the trucker's cafe.

For me the channel tunnel may be quick, bu it is a very dull experience.

If you just want to cross, take the tunnel. If you want to enjoy the journey, take a ferry.

Regards

Richard

• 4 weeks later...