Power steering conversion

Haulie

Thanks :mellow: nowadays being continuously unemployed is a trend around here...
Maybe one day I'll win the lotto and open an art studio in some better country...

Hi Michele,

That makes 2 of us... though your location sounds fantastic, care to trade with a hot, loud Med island?

I've heard of a power steering system fitted to late Series 3's that attached to the exisitng steering rod, rather than to the chassis as the 90 is.

Anyone else heard of this or was my leg being pulled?

Steve

Off topic, most people in work are being screwed over but vicious managers - my colleagues and I are having problems with being rostered to work on days off - but the annoyance caused by vindictive and bullying bosses must be easier than the financial worries you're facing. That said, I was less stressed when I was made redundant from my second big company than I was working at my first... Good luck anyway.

Back on topic..............

Steve, series 3's never had PS not even as an option. What you are talking about is a Ram assist unit.

I have seen a few fitted, some were custom jobs from trucks or cars. I was going that route once upon a time, first with a modified granada unit, then with a mustang PS ram and valve. I then scrapped the idea and went with a 4 bolt disco box, best thing i ever did!!

You can get a ram assist from heystee, but they are spendy....................or get one from TDZ directly..................

G

OT,

well I won't comment about my manager... :angry2:

Off topic, most people in work are being screwed over but vicious managers (...) Good luck anyway.

Thanks.

@ Steve, sorry but Malta is not amongst my dream offroad places :closedeyes::P

Steering column confirmed, waiting for a shipment quote.

No here is no good if you love offroad!

g

I hear that you have some reasonable rock crawling over there?

Off topic and a long shot, but my cousin married a Maltese bloke many years ago, and they moved from Australia to Malta I guess about 10 years or so back. Do by chance either Grem or Stevema know a Lewis and Iris Debatista?

Hi bill, well yes we do have a good offroad scene, with several big buggies and a many well equipped defenders, but it become very limited due to a specific law passed against offroading unless in an organised event!! so if we get caught offroading in non designated routes, its trouble (if you get caught). Before the law it was great, as we used to go when we felt like and drove some brilliant trails!

This situation has ruined the little space we have where we used to go and enjoy using our vehicles. Its a bid sad, but thats the way we ended up here.

As to Knowing the people you mention, yes its a long shot, we are small but we do know everybody (hitting the 400,000 pop, on this little rock!)

G

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I feel there is a simpler way of achieving power assisted steering, namely hydraulic, it operates on the premise of a hydraulic ram connected to steering linkage and a hydraulic pump on the steering wheel. I've seen photos of it, but for the life of me I can't remember where, but when I do remember, I'll post full details. Good luck, Norm.

There's full hydro, most of which are not only illegal but horrible as they have no feedback and no operation if the pump dies / belt falls off.

There's also the assistance rams made in Spain or somewhere like that, which cost a lot more than just fitting an LR PAS system.

Heystee do the 'assistance' type, but sit down for the price:

http://www.heystee-automotive.com/parts/pas/pas.htm

I am sure something could be engineered a LOT cheaper, even if you didn't want to use a LR PAS box.

Then there is the option to make your own and use a Corsa electric power steering column....

The problem with the Corsa electric power steering is that your still at the end of the day, using all the old components from the steering relay to all the worn out tie rod ends. The LR PAS box conversion is best and well documented here.

You shouldn't really be running around with worn out tie rod ends ;)

But agree with the steering box of course, they seem to regular attention, and are obsolete/so expensive they may as well be obsolete!

I can't wait to upgrade to P38 powersteering ^_^

Can't see any better choice (especially for my wallet), if everything goes as I hope I should be able to do the conversion this fall/winter.

Can't wait!

^_^

I can't wait to upgrade to P38 powersteering ^_^

Can't see any better choice (especially for my wallet), if everything goes as I hope I should be able to do the conversion this fall/winter.

Can't wait!

^_^

Agreed.. cheap and simple. I bought a used steeringbox for 50pounds including the steering shaft. The steering shaft fits straight onto a tdi defender steering column. Fitting it to the chassis is also a breeze. I went for hella strong and boxed the chassis rail with 5mm thick steel plate.

IMG_8691.jpg

Steering rod is easy to make. What to use for a pump I don't know, I used a factory PAS pump setup on my Toyota engine...