Additional security rear door lock

Im after an additional external rear door lock for my 110 HT, I dont want a padlock and hasp style and I dont like the round discus style lock ones as they are too big for a Defender door;

http://www.bermick.co.uk/Van-Security/

but I saw one in a recent-ish LR magazine that was a smaller square-ish shape that caught my attention but I cant remember or seem to find it anywhere.

Anybody got any ideas?

Ta muchly.

There is these ones too, they are from here

I used tthese on all the doors and then got 5 locks keyed the same, the only down side is they are a tad sharp if you catch them.

The round locks fit perfect.

he did state quite plainly

I dont want a padlock and hasp style and I dont like the round discus style lock ones

Those ERA block locks look like they are only attached to the door frame, so if a thief has a couple of minutes (depends where it's parked) he could just undo the hinge pins on the rear door and then even with the check strap on it would move over enough to get around the block lock wouldn't it? Although it will of course slow him down which may encourage him to look elsewhere.

I suppose if you added two pins to the hinge side you could make it stay captive even if the hinges were completely removed, like they add to house front doors to increase security. The pins could be as simple as two bolts and a few holes in the frame...

I'm not making myself very clear here am I? It's a monday ;-)

Those ERA block locks look like they are only attached to the door frame, so if a thief has a couple of minutes (depends where it's parked) he could just undo the hinge pins on the rear door and then even with the check strap on it would move over enough to get around the block lock wouldn't it? Although it will of course slow him down which may encourage him to look elsewhere.

I suppose if you added two pins to the hinge side you could make it stay captive even if the hinges were completely removed, like they add to house front doors to increase security. The pins could be as simple as two bolts and a few holes in the frame...

I'm not making myself very clear here am I? It's a monday ;-)

Well I understood you :P

The items you're referring to are called 'Hinge Bolts'

They can be made quite easily, or domestic items can be adapted to suit -

30917.jpg

BD0503HingeBoltsACTION.jpg

The method of entry that you've described, is a weakness of the Defender design :(

On a more positive note - have you ever tried to undo the hinges :lol:

Yep, that's exactly the thing I was thinking of, but couldn't find as I had the wrong name stuck in my head.

Undoing the hinges is in the ever growing list of things to do as I have to change my brass balls.... :blink:

No doubt I'll be feeling far more secure afterwards! Maybe I'll knock up some hinge bolts while I'm at it :)

• 1 year later...

Sorry to water on the fire so to speak, but do you think that adding these are worth it? What are you trying to prevent? or are you just after a visual deterrent I understand why people fit these on hardened Van doors with a bulkhead between the load bay and cab but on a Defender?

Non of the doors are hardened so they can be bent over, which will break the glass and allow for entry, failing that they will just brake the glass to gain entry neither will bother them or cause that much noise.

Personally I would prefer to come back to my truck with the doors still in shape and the glass in the windows and spend my money on making sure the truck was still there for me to come back to.

If you are trying to lock things away a decent dog guard/load barrier with window guards would be a good start.

Jason.

Sadly, Jason is right!

I looked at the cost of securing the exterior of the vehicle. Door locks, window guards and reinforcing the doors such that they cannot be bent. Then laminated glass for the doors - and ended up with a potential bill of over £1k. I concluded it was better just to spend the money on a decent cubby box (FCX.me or MSS) and a MSS Store Draw and not bother locking the doors at all.

Also, I think the window guards made out of mesh make the vehicle look like there is something worth stealing inside. I looked at getting the same thing made in Polycarbonate (so it's near invisible) - but that would have cost even more!

Si

I went the LOAD guard not dog guard route. Yes I have window guards fitted on the inside of all windows. The guards stop you cleaning the glass so people don't notice them unless they really look.

I have a simple hasp and staple on my back door. Not that the Land Rover lock works to lock.

Simon is right, I remember reading , years ago, in a classic car magazine, IIRC mg, and the concensus was NOT to lock the doors at all, as the potential damage done gaining entry, outweighed the value of anything left in there, Obviously secure the vehicle from theft via, s/w lock, imobiliser et al.. After all if you have a soft top, whats the point of locking the door!

However if you leave the doors unlocked, your insurer will love the opportunity to wriggle out of paying out for your missing vehicle :(

I'm pretty sure my policy has a clause tucked in there about the car must be secured, i.e. doors locked, windows closed etc.

Steering locks, pedal locks and what have you count for little in their eyes, although I hope the aforementioned items will prevent anyone people involved in a claim.

However if you leave the doors unlocked, your insurer will love the opportunity to wriggle out of paying out for your missing vehicle :(

However, when you can unlock most doors with the blunt end of a spoon - how will they ever know?

Si

I know from my brothers experience that you are not insured for theft if they think you didn't lock the doors. (Softop with no external handles, never mind locks, he won the argument in the end)

However I also think that extra strong locks etc are a waste of money, we have removable hinges, fragile toughened glass windows, and door tops that a five year old could bend down to gain access. I have external mesh on my back windows, but only because I never shut them in the summer months and it stops the dog decapitating himself. I dont leave valuables in the car, and rely on other security to try and stop them getting the vehicle itself.