trailing arms

mudmagnet

Because, regardless of whether they do/don't work/break/fail horrendously, the prospect of having to stand up in court and say 'Well I bought them off some bloke off ebay' just doesn't bear thinking about.

Buying aftermarket parts from known businesses, with R&D and Insurance is one thing, buying structural components made in some stranger's garage is quite another, IMHO.

Luke

Fair point, I am not a solicitor, however, common sense would surely denote that a court would firstly have to prove that the parts fitted were the cause of any accident and then secondly prove that the part was substandard before anyone is liable? Surely any insurance a parts supplier may have to cover their products is only valid under warranty as gaining proof that appropriate maintenance of their product has been carried out, and thus the manufacture was substandard, is going to be ni on impossible. No single case can prove a products unsuitability for purpose. For this to hold up, multiple reported failures would need to have occurred.

• 2 weeks later...

No single case can prove a products unsuitability for purpose. For this to hold up, multiple reported failures would need to have occurred.

Not true in the slightest, as hinted above, there has been a very well publicised case of a LR nut that got jailed for a not inconsiderate time after a modification on his LR failed and resulted in the death of 4 of his kids. The jail thing seems pretty meaningless now doesn't it?

Bolt anything to your vehicle that causes it to fail/maim/kill and YOU are responsible.

Not true in the slightest, as hinted above, there has been a very well publicised case of a LR nut that got jailed for a not inconsiderate time after a modification on his LR failed and resulted in the death of 4 of his kids. The jail thing seems pretty meaningless now doesn't it?

Bolt anything to your vehicle that causes it to fail/maim/kill and YOU are responsible.

That isn't quite right is it? IIRC The reports were that he was travelling too fast, had mismatched front calipers, and a rotten rear axle mounting point. When he braked it caused him to swerve up a bank the stresses of which ripped the mounting from the chassis sending the 110 off into the river. The prosecution was for death by dangerous driving. (this of course is based on newspaper reports which invariably misquote everything, so my apologies if I am perpetuating some myth)

Personally I'd be wary of buying safety critical parts from 'a bloke in his garage'. Not saying they won't be far better than the big names, just you won't know till it's too late.

That isn't quite right is it? IIRC The reports were that he was travelling too fast, had mismatched front calipers, and a rotten rear axle mounting point. When he braked it caused him to swerve up a bank the stresses of which ripped the mounting from the chassis sending the 110 off into the river. The prosecution was for death by dangerous driving. (this of course is based on newspaper reports which invariably misquote everything, so my apologies if I am perpetuating some myth)

Personally I'd be wary of buying safety critical parts from 'a bloke in his garage'. Not saying they won't be far better than the big names, just you won't know till it's too late.

Discussion on this has been done a billion times over, and I'm not going to go any further into it. If you want to know more, do your own research and draw your own conclusions.

Not being arsey, just don't want to open that can of worms all over again.

:)