Electronic Ignition

Hi all. This question has probably been asked before if so appologies. I want to fit electronic ignition to my petrol 90 and am looking for recommendations. There seem to be a lot of options. I`m discounting the Chinese ones as I`ve heard bad things about them. There is a Britpart one that looks quite good. All feedback gratefully received. Cheers WES

Megasquirt / Megajolt with EDIS would be top bang for buck.

On the cheaperer end, a Maplins electronic ignition amp is about the only thing worth the money as it does 90% of the job and takes the load off the points, the rest (Lumenition, MSD etc.) are very spendy really - once you're spending £100+ you may as well look at Megajolt+EDIS and get the massive benefit of doing away with the dizzy altogether.

I think that you could do it cheaper by getting mainly 2nd hand parts from a scrappy - everything except the actual Megajolt ECU can be had from various mid 90s UK Fords:

Coilpack, plug leads, EDIS unit, VR sensor and all connectors from an Orion/Exscort

Trigger wheel you can get from a petrol Transit (but the ones from Trigger-Wheels.com are good and so cheap so you might as well buy new)

The Coilpack, EDIS unit and VR sensor are SO reliable it is not (in my opinion) worth buying new. Some people even say that the earlier coilpacks have better HT connectors.

Other Benefits include dual ignition map (if you want to run LPG, having the ability to set an auto-switching LPG map makes a huge difference to the way it runs), and the final clincher - the system it completely waterproof - this EDIS bits will run under water, and you can easily remote mount the MJ ECU high in the cab so that it is kept dry.

MJ would be a bit of a learning curve but there is LOADS of help available right here.

Roger

p.s.

I was actually wondering why you want electronic ignition? My brother-in-law has a petrol series that runs like a Swiss watch on the standard dizzy!

if we know why you want to go electronic we could perhaps give better suggestions... :)

Edited - it took a while to find it but here is what EDIS can do:

jolt2.jpg

Hi All. Thanks for all the replies. The Megajolt looks good and would make a great project, also lots of info available on the web. In answere to Three Sheds question. My 90 starts well and runs fine untill it reaches normal temperature then its a bugger to start. I consider myself quite good at the tuning bit and have checked all obvious problem areas ie. wear in the dizzy fuel flow etc. Also its recently had a new factory replacement

cylinder head fitted. My old series three which had a 2.5 petrol engine ran like a dream. Thought a bit of extra spark might help. Wes

My megajolt build on the 2.5 petrol (LPG) in my S1 88" cost me £125.00.

The EDIS parts came from ebay, trigger wheel from triggerwheels.com, and a few brackets made by a local engineering place. It really is a great setup, and you can leave all the old stuff on while you build and test the MJ. I was using the S1 every day for a 50-mile commute while I fitted Megajolt.

Hi,

I know you are discounting the 'cheaper' ones but I bought a cheap electronic lucas 44D from ebay (from 'dandjset' for about £40 IIRC) and have been really pleased with it (my old dizzy was so worn with lateral play in the shaft making the engine run poorly).

Let me know if you'd like me to see if I can find out any more about it. However, if you can install Megajolt for £125 that would be my choice.

Regards

MW

Thanks for all the replies. I will probably opt for Megajolt. There`s a couple of good scrappys nearby, one that deals only in Fords so should be oable to scource a lot of the bits. Cheers Wes.

Should point out that Megajolt is no longer available as a DIY kit, :( you can only buy them prebuilt, so it may not be as cheap as it once was. Check out the autosportlabs site as they'll have the current prices on there.