Engine Crane - Best values ?

I bought one of these eBay a year ago and expected it to be rubbish - but I'm really impressed with it.

Nick amongst others seemed to think I was dumb for buying one as it's cheaper to borrow one - but when I've needed a crane, nobody has been falling over themselves to lend me one. I decided that buying a cheap one would be a good compromise.

I would buy the same one again like a shot.

Si

Looks a very close copy of a draper I have, http://www.toolbox.co.uk/draper-02611-2-tonne-folding-2133-120672 good price as well, may not fold up as small as the original one linked, but it can handle the weight with 4 positions/lengths 2000, 1500, 1000 and 500kg on full reach. draper model 02611.

I originally started building my own - but even the steel to build it was going to cost as much as a bought one. When I built my Eleccy Freelander, I needed one quick. Nobody could lend me one - so I bought the cheapest one that would lift the weight required. It turned out to be 10x better than I expected and have used it a great deal ever since.

I've lifted the battery pack out of my Forklift (which weighs over a ton) on full extension - which was clearly overloading it. It didn't bend, break or even complain. Maybe not something I'd recommend doing - but it seems to be up to the job.

Si

I bought one of these eBay a year ago and expected it to be rubbish - but I'm really impressed with it.

Nick amongst others seemed to think I was dumb for buying one as it's cheaper to borrow one - but when I've needed a crane, nobody has been falling over themselves to lend me one. I decided that buying a cheap one would be a good compromise.

I would buy the same one again like a shot.

Si

Another vote for the 2 ton chinese one, I got one of these earlier on in the year. Works well and doesn't fall over when folded, mine came with a load leveller to which makes lining up clutch/gearbox far easier.

Another vote for the 2 ton chinese one, I got one of these earlier on in the year. Works well and doesn't fall over when folded, mine came with a load leveller to which makes lining up clutch/gearbox far easier.

Another vote for this type, I've got the sealey version but it probably came out of the same factory. The small castors do make it hard to move on tarmac, but the instructions say not to use it on tarmac anyway.

All terrain tyres on an engine crane doesn't sound safe to me.

When I swapped gearboxes in the 88, I dropped the gearbox on the floor, then lifted the whole motor out the way with the 3t OHT crane at work.....

Got a galvanised chassis and the gearbox cross-member is welded on so not an option for me. My method worked surprisingly well and chuffed to pieces that (after a quick bit of re-wiring on the winch remote) I managed to do it completely by myself.