metal folders??

Landy-Novice

hello all, i thinking in buying a metal folder which is capable of folding 2mm(14sgw) steel but had no luck so far! i was thinking would a Clarke thingy do it? http://www.machinema...et-metal-folder

i no it says .7mm but theres always a 'safety cousin' has someone got one that has done this? of could experiment for me? or any other suggestions? thank you.

:D james

Well I guess it ultimately depends on the width of the piece as well as the thickness, but if you were to try a full width piece of 2mm I think those hinge pins would break off.... even if they held the centre part would be unlikely to fold neatly as the bender would flex.

I think you would be wasting your money expecting that to work .... JMHO

Well I guess it ultimately depends on the width of the piece as well as the thickness, but if you were to try a full width piece of 2mm I think those hinge pins would break off.... even if they held the centre part would be unlikely to fold neatly as the bender would flex. I think you would be wasting your money expecting that to work .... JMHO

I agree, especially the coment about centre flex, which is a problem ,even on good machines

i have one of those clarke ones and its rubbish - it wont bend 1.2mm cleanly - the thing flexes too much, and so the ends bend at 90 degrees, but it curves out in the middle, so you end up with a curved edge that you end up havng to hammer and dolly to get straight.

2mm just wouldnt work in one of them i;m afraid!

Jon

You could try building something like the one here http://www.old.bd-4....ndingbrake.html

I would also add adjustable bracing like on the one here http://www.ablett.jp..._me_a_brake.htm

Don't make it any wider than needed as that will just increase the likelihood of centre flex, and use the heaviest gauge steel you can find .......

Or you could take Nige's approach and buy a 50 ton press and make nice hydraulic folder :)

BTW There is a reason that decent ones cost a lot of money ;)

What do you plan on making with it? If it's for a one of job you may finder it cheaper/easier to go to a sheet metal place and get them to fold it for you.....

Good luck with the searching, 2mm steel is quite a thick sheet to bend so whatever plans you do find uprate the thickness of any plate or angle if you can .... it won't do any harm and increased rigidity will increase your chances of a proper neat bend :)

I bought a wolf branded one a few years ago found it far better value than the clark, It has a larger capacity and cheaper. Had a look an found them still for sale @ (http://www.ukhs.tv/Workshop/Other-Workshop-Equipment-Tools/Bench-Top-Sheet-Metal-Folder ) maybe worth a look. although I haven't bent much with it and no where near 2mm.

just gunna get a price for some angle, im gunna make a 36inch one, and i think the thinness should be 50x50x8mm, does this sound right?

Depends on the design you use, 3ft of 8mm sounds a bit light to me if it's not braced. But you could always build it unbraced and try, if/when it flexes just add bracing till it doesn't. Or if the metal you are bending isn't particularly deep you may be able to just use some G-clamps to stop flexing.