Can you spot the genuine caliper seals?

Not being sarcastic, but i'm geuninely interested if someone can highlight to me which caliper seals they think are the better quality.

I bought a stainless steel piston kit, which came with a seal kit, and a separate "Genuine" seal kit (which I intended to use instead). Anyway, the "Genuine" kit (ominously) turned up in a couple of freezer bags, so I compared it to the other kit to see if it was any different.

And they are quite different. All the 1's came from the same kit and ditto the 2's.

Metal retainer

1. Left, rounded in profiile

2. Right, squarer in profile and taller

post-18025-0-03626500-1317927994_thumb.jpg

Dust seal

1. Left, shinier rubber, thicker

2. Right, duller rubber

post-18025-0-48902300-1317928003_thumb.jpg

Wiper seal

1. Left, thinner, duller

2. Right, thicker, shinier

post-18025-0-66253100-1317928011_thumb.jpg

Wiper seal, inside edges

1. Left, larger gap, thinner edges

2.Right, smaller gap, thicker edges

post-18025-0-39155400-1317928023_thumb.jpg

Wiper seal, side on

1. Top, thinner

2. Bottom, thicker

post-18025-0-15498200-1317928040_thumb.jpg

The No.2 dust seal goes into the retainer after about 30 seconds of jiggling. No. 1 dust seal won't actually fit in any retainer after 5 mins of trying (it's a larger diameter). Should it be that hard to fit?

The fact that the seals are a different feel of material is ponderous. I always associated shiny rubber with Britpart....

I know which one is "Geunine" and which isn't, but on comparing directly it cast doubt in my mind as to which was the better quality. Now i'd like to know, based purely on what they look like, which one would you fit?

I'd say number 2 is the genuine, I'm basing this on the retainer ring having a larger contact area so more likely to be retained, and the fact the wiper seal fits and having thicker edges will last longer....

EDIT: I'd fit number two in case you didn't guess from my comments :)

Edited by CwazyWabbit

or how about mix n match? :P

It's quite a possibility. I can agree that the no.2 retainer looks better, but the wiper seal - not sure if thinner means more accurately made??

Or if the larger diameter dust seal means it'll fit tigher (if it ever fits)

I'm doing the same job at the moment, and I'll be using genuine parts seals etc. out of a genuine Land Rover bag. Nothing else!

I was hoping for the same thing when I bought Genuine from here !

Number 1 retainer looks like britpart rubbish that i tried to fit once. I only needed the retainer, hence i bought the 'cheap' kit. Spent four hours fiddling in the end and result was four bent retainers. I went and bought a genuine (in a LR marked bag) kit for less money than i'd been charged elsewhere for the briptart rubbish and i was back on the road after 10 minutes of fiddling.

Fit number 2. You are going to tell us that no.1 is genuine now arent you?!

I've just fitted new pots and seals in my front calipers. The kit was bearmach and seemed good quality although the retainers were a bit of a tight fit and wouldn't sit in position without being knocked in with a small piece of wood and hammer. I knocked them in by pushing the retainer in half way round (as it wouldn't fully go home) then sit a piece of wood squarely over the retainer and tap firmly once and Bob's your Uncle. Did 8 without bending one.

I meant to add, when fitting the retainers, its quite useful to use one of the old ones under a stiff peice of metal to push the new one home (this is about all the britpart ones i had were good for!). If you dont want to split the caliper, you can use the metal plate and old retainer and clamp it home using a ball joint seperator. Unlike most g clamps, the ball joint seperator jaws fit in between the caliper halves - tighten it up and clamp the metal and retainer down.

Yep no.1 was the "Genuine", which got me pondering.

Either the "Genuine" is right and that is what they should be like (doubtful) or I was fobbed off with Britpart as Genuine and the seal kit that came with the pistons isn't half bad.

I think i'll contact LRseries to get their side of the story

Turns out it was a picking error and they're sending me some new Genuine kits on Monday for no extra charge.

I know some people slate the customer service at LRSeries, but I sent an email and got the resolution I wanted within 40 minutes.

Thanks to all for confirming my gut instinct!

Cost difference between Britpart and Genuine seals: £2.04. Knowing that your brakes won't fail at any moment: Priceless.

When you recieve the Genuine 'Genuine' seals can you repeat the photo shoot with all 3 sets? or at least the new set and the set which came with the pistons? This is of course just out of curiosity so if you don't have the time/energy no worries :)

When you recieve the Genuine 'Genuine' seals can you repeat the photo shoot with all 3 sets? or at least the new set and the set which came with the pistons? This is of course just out of curiosity so if you don't have the time/energy no worries :)

it will be interesting to see if there is any difference!

Bit late to find this thread, but I was going to say No2 retainer was genuine.

As for seal dimensions, they look quite different. I would go for the one that actually fits! I would expect installation attempts to make it obvious enough which one fits. They shouldn't be a struggle to get into place.

It's absolutely years since I rebuilt my front calipers with new pistons and seals. I used genuine parts, and I seem to recall they weren't cheap... 90 odd quid rings a bell. They're still in there though.

Be interested to see the pictures later :)

So here we go. 3 kits of varying quality and their differences

These are the kits in question:

1. Unknown brand, sent in error instead of Genuine. I can suppose it's Britpart

2. Unknown brand, came with a stainless steel piston kit from EAC Parts

3. Genuine Land Rover STC1270

post-18025-0-39305100-1318357067_thumb.jpg

2 seems better than 1 and almost as good quality as 3. I would think 2 is a better Replacement brand, but still not Genuine.

Retainers

The quality of the metal is quite different.

1. quite scabby, and rounded

2. is squarer

3. is squarer and a rough texture and a darker colour. it flares slightly at the edge

post-18025-0-92931800-1318357031_thumb.jpg

2 and 3 are quite similar in cross section

post-18025-0-89713200-1318357037_thumb.jpg

Wiper seal (goes into the retainer)

1 is very flimsy and has thin edges. 2 and 3 have thicker edges. 3 is not as floppy as the others

post-18025-0-99402800-1318357075_thumb.jpg

2 and 3 are slightly thicker than 1 from the top

post-18025-0-17380200-1318357089_thumb.jpg

2 and 3 are slightly thicker than 1 from the side

post-18025-0-84838000-1318357082_thumb.jpg

Fluid seals (thick and square)

2 and 3 are duller rubber than 1. 3 has coloured bands on it

post-18025-0-72246600-1318356996_thumb.jpg

1 has a larger diameter than 2 and 3. 3 has a more refined appearance

post-18025-0-22216400-1318356987_thumb.jpg

Wiper seal in retainer

The seals in 1 protrude more than in 2. The seal was harder to fit into 1 as it is floppier. The seal in 2 is almost flush to the retainer edge

post-18025-0-80075600-1318357013_thumb.jpg

3 has more seal protruding from the retainer and is slightly thinner than 2

post-18025-0-07302500-1318357022_thumb.jpg

All three side by side

post-18025-0-59755600-1318357043_thumb.jpg

The diameter of wiper seal 1 is larger than that of 2 and 3. It would be a looser fit on the piston.

post-18025-0-78318900-1318357052_thumb.jpg

The gallery seals in the Lockheed caliper I just disassembled have coloured bands on just like that, though obviously on a smaller scale. Perhaps it's an identifying mark of the manufacturer, or delineates the 'model' of seal as it were?

Anyway, the difference in quality is quite apparent. Thanks for getting those photos - it has reinforced my decision to use Genuine parts, though I'll be buying mine direct from Land Rover!