new rebuild project advice needed

bobrick

hello everyone

i am curently restoring a 1960 series 2 (A Suffix)

so far i have managed to get the tub off and repair all the the back end aft of centre cross member and replace the clutch.

the bulkhead has been taken of ready for prep and weld however i have a few questions i hope some of you may be able to answer (i have attached a bulkhead picture for you to view)

1. what is the best way to repair/weld around the vents i was planning on welding against a brass block to fill in the holes

2. does any one know where i could get hold of a drain channel that sits on the front of the bulkhead between bulkhead and bonnet.

3. how do i identify the carb, i think it may be a solex but it doesent look exactly like any pictures i can find. and i dont think the engine is original

finally i dont think the clutch is set right, when i tested it the slave cylinder blew its piston before the pressure plate was disengaged. when i removed the gearbox i removed the acuating bracket and rod so there may be a chance i refitted it 180 degress out where the actuating rod connects to the release bearing rod (hope that makes sense) ill try and find a picture from a manual later

cheers for looking

a new bulkhead is not an option

will

post-10116-0-25535800-1318708220_thumb.jpg

2. does any one know where i could get hold of a drain channel that sits on the front of the bulkhead between bulkhead and bonnet.

i've never seen one but that doesn't mean they dont exist, cant you make one up?its only folded, buy a piece of channel from steel merchants? no it wont be the same, buy repairing a bulkhead in that nick, it wouldnt show.. :rolleyes:

to be honest looking at the photo, i would say thats fit for a scrap yard! :( when you say new isnt an option, what about second hand, but one that isn't so bad? something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Series-2-Bulkhead-Plus-New-Footwell-Panels-/220872022889?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item336cff9b69 and it right on your door step!!! :D

3. how do i identify the carb, i think it may be a solex but it doesent look exactly like any pictures i can find. and i dont think the engine is original

what makes you think its not original? is it a 2.25 or 2.5? look here, it could be a zenith.

thanks for the replys guys,

apart from the rot in the picture the rest of the bulkhead is sound with minor welding required on passengar door pillar. all the rot is concentrated around the drivers side and both of the footwells are sound, but thanks for the ebay link ill keep my eye on that.

i thought about folding a piece of steel for the drain channel however i dont know how to get the curve into it whith it folded or fold it after its curved, i will email ashtree and andover bulkhead restorers and see if they may be able to help me out.

wrt the carb, it is mounted on a curved spacer (about 6"long). the fuel inlet banjo is closest to the bulkhead, i have had a look at the glencoyne page already but i cant see how it resembles and of the ones in the pictures, i managed to find a picture of it though.

post-10116-0-80519700-1318716400_thumb.jpg

cheers western & robotman

i suppose the nest question is is it the correct type, looking at the glencoyne site its not a weber, solex or zenith so i suppose not. i still need to get the number off the block but the initial number has a 7 in it so im leaning towards a 17 prefix block the suffix letter is b i'll have a definate number tomorrow.

will

all the wiring will be replaced by a new loom from auto sparks

Maybe the pic is taken from the bulkhead side -looks like it to me ;)

It's not the 'correct' carb for the engine whatever, SUs were never fitted as factory option to a Land Rover (except maybe the V8s at some obscure point), to my knowledge anyways.

The SU is however seen as an aftermarket upgrade, but that one on there at the moment looks rather small, IIRC the 1 3/4" Metro/Maestro/Ital/Montego SUs were a much better size, and gave a small performance boost at the same time.

cheers for all the input

i have since been down the workshop and i can confirm the sengine serial number starts 901 which according to the glencoyne site makes it a series 3, 3 main bearing petrol 2286.

ill leave the carb as it is for the moment as it does appear to work.

bowie what do you mean by a 1.75" carb is that a new unit or larger needle

cheersw for all your help

will

I don't want to sound dismissive but having just tried to repair my own bulkhead and failed which was, judging from the pic in slightly better condition, I think it might be easier to weld corn flakes :ph34r::) .

The problem I had with mine is that the available repair panels aren't quite long enough to cover all the rot and it is a lot of work to make the other sections. It may be more cost effective to try and source a secondhand bulkhead. If you really want to salvage yours, I still have my old bulkhead but I won't have access to it until later this month (It's in sheffield I'm in salisbury). I can see if I can remove the drain channel in one piece and if so your welcome to it.

Rich

Rich

cheers for the offer of the drain channel even if you have to remove it in sections ill still be interested. i think its just welded along the join at intervals. Please PM me if you have any luck salvaging it.

ref the repair, so far all is going well all the rot on the front has been cut out and im in the process of fabricating the repair panels and the backing angles for the repait to sit on. i spent yesterday am building my self a folder with scrap i had lying arround to speed things up a bit so today well see how we go. ill try and get some more pics of repair in process

will

The channel is held on with numerous spot welds. I think the best way to get it off would be to cut the back panel away all round then grind it off from behind. I think drilling the spot welds out will damage the channel to much. They're rather difficult to paint round - especially underneath and so some crafty priming and sealing before spraying may help preserve the new one.

Repairs round the vents are what condemns most rusty bulkheads. If I were doing it I'd bend what I could and try and loose welds in the folds where possible. (I'd also be happy to swap my MIG for gas welding for that job.)

• 3 weeks later...