Transporting a Rover V8 in an Audi A3

Jon W

Hi all I am aiming to pick up a rover V8 from a forum member, but having sold my discovery I only have an audi A3 hatchback to pick it up in, now loading should be ok as he has said he has an engine crane and it should fit if I am careful.

However the problem I have is that when I get back to Newport shropshire, I only have a mate with a telly handler. and risk takign the roof off the company car!

So any suggestions or any help appreciated, has anyone got a engine crane I can borrow close to me TF10

Cheers

Jon

hello, i am in harper and have already replied on your facebook post.

the only problem being the uni dont let their tools out anymore to us so i cant help you like that, plus my brakes are shot, i can be around though as long as its not this weekend for an extra pair of hands whatever way its getting unloaded.

telehandler forks are probably not quite long enough to clear the boot lid with the headstock unless you use an extension

I'm not sure you'll have enough headroom for either an engine crane or a telehandler. The engine is pretty tall and you'll need the height of the engine plus at least 6 inches to allow for the lifting arm/straps. With an engine crane you need to bear in mind that the arm of the crane will likely be angled down to get under the roof which will limit things even more.

I've done similar tasks in the past and I've ended up using scaffolding planks to make a long ramp and sliding the engine on it's sump, takes at least two people to safely drag the engine and keep it stable but the engine can be loaded and unloaded that way, just be VERY careful. If the engine is any distance away it might be a lot simpler and cheaper to get it strapped to a pallet and collected/delivered via one of the pallet shippers (I normally use parcel2go).

I would not advise taking an engine in the back of a normal car, but if you must then at least try to strap it to the tow-ball or something strong (even if it means leaving the tailgate partly open), otherwise any frontal impact at over about 20mph and you are dead. *

When loading/unloading by whatever means wear toe-capped boots and welders gloves. I recently got a V8 into a trailer with a short ramp-like affair and two people lifting, with a third ready to help - all went well until I pushed the engine to slide it forward and trapped the helper's shin. Luckily not too much damage done but he hopped around a bit.

Take care - a lot of it - and think through every move, and you will be ok. Good luck.

Roger

* In a 25mph crash, assuming the car stopped in about 4ft and hence you had stopped before the engine reached you - then the impact would be the equivalent of somebody dropping it from about 30ft onto your back... And while I am preaching - everyone should think about that loose spare wheel and toolkit in the same light!

I concure with Dave W and ThreeSheds.

In terms of loading/unloading engines in normal cars, I once loaded a Ford Pinto engine into the boot of my Granada saloon by hand. It went in OK, lifted by only 2 people, but I couldn't get in around it to lift it out again. I ended up driving around for a month with it in the boot until I could arrange for a friend with an engine crane to come round and help unload it. Then we had to take the boot lid off to get enough height for the lift.

In terms of safety, just a couple of weeks ago I had an un-secured LT230 transfer box in the boot of my Volvo S40 and had to brake hard in traffic on the motorway. The 'box actually came through the rear seat, breaking the folding mechanism. The other bad thing in this case is the release of oil when the engine or box falls over. I ruined a Mondeo rear seat that way.

I used to do the kind of thing you're suggesting all the time with engines and 'boxes and wouldn't say it's not possible. You just need to think about safe loading, unloading and securing.

When I was moving around my replacement 300tdi I knocked up a little stand to bolt it to so it would stay upright. I did this as when I collected it I had stood it on the sump with a few supporting blocks and ratchet strapped it down, when I went around a corner it shifted with quite a bang that 'scared me somewhat'. The little stand added about half inch to the height but gave a much bigger foot print to stop it wobbling/falling over.

Although I guess this is probably not practical unless you have a V8 kicking around to get the position of the bolt holes, you could probably take some blocks of wood to support it but learning from my mistake also take some plywood to nail/screw them to so they don't move! :)

Hmmm yer think it will be easier to arrange a pallet courier to pick it up, to save the hassle and the damage to the company vehicle to be honest, unless my mate can pop it on his trailer.

Cheers for the help and good point made on the safety side of things.

Jon