My Defender 110 tdi has clocked 300 000 kms. I have now changed the oil more that 50 times, the cambelt 4 times, etc. The engine still starts fine although I own all the parts for a full overhaul. I'll wait until the compression goes or it starts using a lot of oil.

And in this time, apart from 'service parts' I have changed the rear wheel bearings (self-inflicted), blown 2 alternators (caused by a short of sorts in the cable) and one UJ.

I also changed the rings and big end bearings at 160k after a disastrous experience with a K&N non-"filter".

All the cooling system is still original including the hoses.

Yesterday one front hub cap (those placky things) broke and flung grease all over the front wheel.

Turbo is original, possibly helped by all the oil changes and an EGT gauge so that I never switch off until the temp drops to 200c

Happy Days!

227k miles on mine in 16 years as well. Had 2 transfer boxes and one main gearbox though. I think it also it had the original engine blow up due to the 300Tdi timing belt issue at the time. Had a LR service replacement engine fitted before I got it though.

Body work and chassis not to clever though. Think next year for its 250k mile milestone it is going to be rebuild on new galv chassis. I have a new (TD5) bulkhead waiting to be galved for it as well...

Well that kinda sticks two fingers up at the Defenders reputation for being unreliable. Shows that if you maintain them they won't let you down :)

My philosophy on my 110 now. Plus the rate that I'm racking up the miles on it ~30k in 18 months although I've only just crossed the 100k boundary the sights are definitely set on the 200k. Although since it's an early 300Tdi it's suffering from the common gearbox input shaft / 4th gear synchro issues. Trying to decide what's better a rebuilt or simply get a recon unit - unfortunately it's my main form of transport so downtime is a major factor. Major items shopping list include - sort the gearbox, locker for at least the rear, perhaps the front as well. Some higher driving lights would be nice - predominantly to avoid the recent near misses I've had with a few sheep in the Beacons.

Aiming to do as much preventative maintenance as I can though. The next major fix will be the gearbox, although I suspect I can get another 100k out of it it's getting a little trickier with the colder weather. Become pretty damn good at double de-clutching though! ^_^ To be fair it has had a new turbo through no fault of it or me (see an old thread on here where a garage that did a service dropped a sump-plug washer on the wrong side of the air-filter. Needless to say that the turbo damage was pretty spectacular.

Although I think my 110 has decided that it's the pack leader and there's nothing anyone else can do cause it doesn't feel the need to mark it's territory like any other Landy.

227k miles on mine in 16 years as well. Had 2 transfer boxes and one main gearbox though. I think it also it had the original engine blow up due to the 300Tdi timing belt issue at the time. Had a LR service replacement engine fitted before I got it though.

Body work and chassis not to clever though. Think next year for its 250k mile milestone it is going to be rebuild on new galv chassis. I have a new (TD5) bulkhead waiting to be galved for it as well...

You have a drivetrain like Trigger's broom ;)

Mo

I must admit that my 110 will last me for ever as it was built with a galvanized chassis by AAD in Cape Town. After BMW took over the chassis were made in the UK and just assembled here.

Possibly my R380 has lasted so long because I early on stopped using ATF and switched to MTF94 and - the greatest - to a fully synthetic. I also change gear very carefully in two movements. I did have a very worrying time many years ago when the 5th-4th change became impossible but it was due to those springs on top of the box being out of adjustment. It was quite weird in that when I adjusted it strange things would happen like no 1st or 2nd or no 5th or reverse. I adjusted it as per the manual but eventually just mucked about until it was correct and have left it alone ever since.

I was worried about the wear on the mainshaft so fitted the early LR mod which is a sort-of top-hat alloy thing to keep the oil in the top pinion of the transfer box. I have thought about fitting the cross-drilled pinion but the early mod seems to work even after all this time.

And I don't drive fast, hardly ever more than 109km/h on the GPS (68mph). Mostly I toodle around at 110 on the speedo which is a mere 103km/h on the GPS.