How to stop your wheels getting nicked?

reggie

For some reason I've just developed a paranoia about my wheels (steel modulars) getting nicked off the Rangie. It's been sat on the drive for nearly three years & they haven't been touched but you know when you get that funny feeling & it happens.............................well I have that feeling. I was also just out talking to my neighbor who told me his mate with a disco just had his wheel & tyres & also his winch nicked off his disco on the drive. They jacked it up & just dropped in on the floor, W**KERS!

What can you do apart from using these http://www.devon4x4....emart&Itemid=14

Anybody got any extra ideas apart from the obvious of taking them off every night? I've also thought about the whole thing getting nicked for the bits, it only has the standard alarm right now.

If it's sitting aroud long term I think I'd find a set of 'service' wheels that were less attractive to the thieving scum. Also remove any winch and store it indoors/locked away.

Also maybe disable the engine by removing some simple but critical part. Hopefully this will stop anyone simply driving it away too easily.

I have thought about using two sets, think that's what I'll do to start with for sure. I like the idea if using a chain somehow but don't think I would get one to pass through the wheels. I also thinking of where it was parked over this last three years, on my gravel parking area right up against the front on the house. I should start parking it back there when I've finished the jobs & got it back on the road. If I park it close to the house they won't be able to get a jack in the one side & would be a pain on gravel + noisy.

Let the air out of the ones not against the house, so they appear punctured, flat, useless? And dont wash it so the whole ensemble draws looks of distain and disgust, rather than envy.. The idea of welding a shopping trolley to each wheel should complete the look. There goes the neighbourhood!

If the car is unused why not remove the wheels, store them in the garage and leave the car on axle stands? This will make theft of either the car or the wheels difficult. RangeRovers are not nearly such a popular theft target as Defenders so I should not worry too much.

RangeRovers are not nearly such a popular theft target as Defenders so I should not worry too much.

To be honest this is why I haven't worried too much about it before, but there is still lots of people using discos to offroad & the bits for the rangie are the same, so they fit a disco. Also it was a disco localy that had his wheels nicked!

If the car is unused why not remove the wheels, store them in the garage and leave the car on axle stands? This will make theft of either the car or the wheels difficult. RangeRovers are not nearly such a popular theft target as Defenders so I should not worry too much.

But if you do that, the potential thief goes 'someone else had the wheels, I have the winch' type thing. The problem with wheel locks is that one day you have a flat and you find the key is missing. Still they are the solution to your problem.

Daan

Instead of chain, I'd use a length of 11mm steel cable (old winch cable would do the trick) with eyelets on each end and a good sized padlock. Concrete a loop into the drive and there's your anti-theft too. Thread it into a length of garden hose to prevent damage to your paint, before your put the eyelet on both ends.

• 2 weeks later...

Gravel is a good idea, it makes it noisey and insafe to jack up, let's be honest they can't even walk over gravel quietly. If it's parked against a wall they can't nick the whole set and 1 pair is worth a lot less than a full set.

You can also stamp your reg number into the rims and painting your rims to match your truck makes them less desireable too.

If you leave it on stands then take steps to protect the brakes, I'd push the callipers right back in and tie a bucket over the disk, I find tarpaulins are as much trouble as they save so I let the disks rust evenly. If you fit a set of storage wheels you can buy plastic disk sheilds for very little money that protect the brakes form the elements.

Wheels will be staying on as I will be getting it back on the road hopefully this month. I have bought two different sets of locking nuts to make it more difficult & once it running I'll be parking it back on the gravel against the wall. It will also have one of our cars blocking it in & parked close to it so should be a real pain in the arse if they want to nick it or take the wheels.