weight

ianl1

i'm looking at weights of landrovers,

i've found the specs for the current models which all seem to show GVW at 2500kg or more

does anyone know of a landrover (or other 4x4) that has a GVW of under 2200kg but weighs more than 1400kg empty

I've been given the (i believe imposible) task of finding a vehicle to tow with on only a car licence

How about a freelander? Kerb weight is just over 1400kg, and GVW 1960 / 2050kg according to this site... http://www.myfreelan...comparisong.htm shows a list of 4x4 weights and towing capacities.

Kev

Edit: I think the XC70 from Volvo and probably similar cars fit in the category too. Let me guess though, you also want to be able to insure 18-25 year olds on it right?

Edited by MrKev

Anything "proper" is pretty much 2ton, defender/disco/RR. Freelander is probably your best bet, mind you I got stopped towing the FL on a twinaxle trailer behind the 109 and the copper suggested towing the 109 behind the FL instead (so close to 3.5t), he was shocked when I told him that would be illegal :o he was convinced anything with a green oval was rated to tow 3.5t.

(Reason for stoppage was the 109's MOT had expired, my calendar was a week out)

'tis a silly bunch of rules, IMHO. Problem I have is that my caravan is too heavy for the mrs to tow on the landrover legally, but legal on the back of the normal car (at the time, a 1.9 Tdi Audi), just rubbish. The law is forcing inexperienced towers (by definition, as they don't have a towing licence, therefore can't tow so many combinations) to tow close to the 100% vehicle to trailer ratio, that it's possibly more dangerous than allowing what went before.

Kev

You need to be careful towing with the freelander - I know several horsey types who have been pulled for towing twin horseboxes on them, which puts them overweight. One of the reasons the FL2 is a bigger car is to get the toing weight up for the equestrian brigade.

You need to be careful towing with the freelander - I know several horsey types who have been pulled for towing twin horseboxes on them, which puts them overweight. One of the reasons the FL2 is a bigger car is to get the toing weight up for the equestrian brigade.

what do you mean by puts them overweight? over the gross train weight? or over the 3500kg of a standard driving licence? or something else?

its finding a vehicle with a low enough gvw i'm strugling with

Hmm looks like my answer didnt apear. Its a dive boat, weighs 1300kg on the trailer plus a bit of kit and fuel, so i,m alowing 1400kg.

However i need to check what the max rated weight of the trailer is which may make the whole thing redundant

Its the max weights that come into play without the trailer license :(.

Hmm looks like my answer didnt apear. Its a dive boat, weighs 1300kg on the trailer plus a bit of kit and fuel, so i,m alowing 1400kg.

However i need to check what the max rated weight of the trailer is which may make the whole thing redundant

Its the max weights that come into play without the trailer license :(.