Block-Heater

twizzle

you can get the Phillips/Temro 3100087 - however it's going to be 120V, not sure if an equivalent 240V one is available

http://www.phillipsandtemro.com/heating_technology/coolant_oil.asp

there are also generic ones available over here that go in the lower coolant hose as well as the magnetic oil heaters you stick on the sump

It seems to me there a 2 different things being talked about here.

1. Water jacket heaters (as OP asked)

2. Oil pan heaters

As i understand the water jacket heaters are meant to be used overnight in VERY cold climates to stop the block freezing, and they probably have some benefit on starting. They are used very much in scandinavia etc, and come as standard on most cars sold in those climates.

But, I dont see how oil pan coolers will get enough heat up into the engine to stop water freezing. Of course they will greatly aid starting & reduce wear.

It seems to me there a 2 different things being talked about here.

1. Water jacket heaters (as OP asked)

2. Oil pan heaters

As i understand the water jacket heaters are meant to be used overnight in VERY cold climates to stop the block freezing, and they probably have some benefit on starting. They are used very much in scandinavia etc, and come as standard on most cars sold in those climates.

But, I dont see how oil pan coolers will get enough heat up into the engine to stop water freezing. Of course they will greatly aid starting & reduce wear.

Very good point, I assumed (probably incorrectly) that as the OP was in the UK that it was for ease of starting, which is an area where oil pan heaters would help more (and require less power apparently). So I am the one to blame for sending this in the wrong direction, appologies.

My water jacket heater (diesel powered Webasto) is brilliant for cold starting, and you can turn it on anywhere, anything that involves electricery could be a pain if you leave it anywhere other than your driveway - hence why i went the self sustaining route. Any kind of pre engine heater is the way forward in my book, been running mine 2 months now and you can hear the difference on the starter motor between cold and pre heated.

Mav

I bought one of the Wolverine heaters from Canada. It was quoted as being 230v - but still managed to melt itself!

I guess that at -40C it would be fine but it was generating more heat than it seemed to be able to pass on to the sump.

Nick & I both bought low cost water heaters (that appear to be Russian made) from eBay. Unfortunately neither of them lasted more than a few weeks use before fizzing themselves. They replace them - and the replacement does the same. It gets to the point that it's not worth the hassle!

The heater in my Electric Freelander (no engine, so almost no heat) is actually a 2.4kw dishwasher heater plus a webasto 12v pump - and it has worked faultlessly for two years. All together it cost half what the cheap water heater did. I'm going to order another one!

Si

Didn't we have a discussion about 'stick-on' plate sump heaters a bit back? Written off as 50% of their surface is exposed to atmosphere at ambient temperature...distinctly remember having the discussion somewhere....

Dishwasher heater...now there's an idea...

In Norway, and rest of Scandiavia, DEFA heaters are widely used. They are known to be the best ones. You can read about it here.

They warm up the coolant that again heat up the block, oil, and give a little heat to the coupe. The coolant we use here is able to handle temperatures down to about -50C, so frozen coolant should not be a problem problem if you regulary check how much cold it can handle.

I have a Webasto heater in my Def110, and it is to good help, but it really drains the battery if used without the motor running. I use the Webasto only when I drive, cause the motor gives poor heathing to the coupe. Besides, the Webasto can be a pain to start if it's really cold.

So it's not unusual to have ice on the inside of the windows. Luckily the cars sent to Scandinavia have a Northern Climate Pack, with contains heated front and rear window, heated front seats and bigger alternator and battery.

I plan to put in a complete DEFA system in my own car soon. I have had it in my earlier cars, and it really is helpful.

I don't live in the coldest part of Scandinavia, but from time to time we have down to 30-35 below, and to get in the cold car at 6.oo in the morning is not just a pleasure. Last winter we had one night at 43,8 below. My 110 Td5 refused to start that morning. Even with the new 115 amp/h battery I had. But luckily I live on the top of a loooong hill, so I managed to rollstart it. But it was a very cold start of the day before I got to job.

Ronny S