Radiator Oil Cooler - Use for Gearbox Oil?

For those wondering where the ROW coolers are fitted, as already mentioned the TD5 ones are just a loop of pipe up alongside the engine on the drivers (RHD) side.

Wolfs have a large cooler right in front of the radiator, its supported between the A frame that supports the bonnet lock, so well above the gearbox height.

There used to be some piccies on here years ago of Wolf coolers.

T/cases get stupidly hot too, there was a recent thread on AULRO with some insane t/case temps recorded here in Oz, particuallry with an OD fitted.

I fitted a larger capacity transfer case with fins on, a cast aluminium item from Roverdrive. This was after putting it into low range after a very long motorway drive with a trailer on and the transfer box lever was hot to touch.

I couldn't say how effective it was as i've not done any strenuous jobs with it since fitting.

Dave!

TSD.

20 deg C in ZA. When were you there winter....We found the normal ambient temperature to be betweem 35 Deg C and 45 Deg C...

I haven't a temperature gauge fitted to my 380.

I have an oil cooler fitted.

As I've said many times, the biggest drop in the seatbox area was after fitting the X-Brake..

Dave.

Yes a good idea. I keep thinking about that..How much dit it cost please....

rick. What suprises me woth the Wolf gearbox oil cooler is the size and how much it covers the radiator. I've not checked to see if the Wolf has a different radiator to the 300Tdi...

For those wondering where the ROW coolers are fitted, as already mentioned the TD5 ones are just a loop of pipe up alongside the engine on the drivers (RHD) side.

Wolfs have a large cooler right in front of the radiator, its supported between the A frame that supports the bonnet lock, so well above the gearbox height.

There used to be some piccies on here years ago of Wolf coolers.

T/cases get stupidly hot too, there was a recent thread on AULRO with some insane t/case temps recorded here in Oz, particuallry with an OD fitted.

The Wolf's R380 Oil Cooler uses the same style mount as early V8 Engine Oil Coolers.

Here's some parts pics -

post-148-0-70471800-1327139632_thumb.jpg . post-148-0-53690400-1327139647_thumb.jpg

Civvy R380 "Oil Cooler" for comparison -

post-148-0-19521900-1327139676_thumb.jpg

I am using one of these as oil cooler for trans in my 90 (auto) but would work well for manual , it sits in same position as wolf unit , and they are usually quite reasonable price :rolleyes:

In OZ , TNT were having to replace diff oil every trip Perth /Darwin in road train in summer, untill they went over to Redline synthetic , high temps kill oil real quick , reason for lots of 4x4 gearbox failures ,which i ended up recovering in Australia .

(I have no connection with Redline other than as customer)

Oil temp what I think what TJ said caused the gearbox failure in his 130 James.

If the cooler already in the rad isn't suitable... how about one of the RRC 'bog-brush' coolers?

Indeed. The gearbox will be under more stress than normal, and combining that with the possibility of operation in hot climates means it will be getting a cooler one way or another.

If the radiator cooler doesn't work out then I'll probably just fit the 2.8 Petrol cooler that I linked above. Long and thin and will fit under the rad behind the lower vented part of the front panel. Basically in front of the gap between front crossmemeber and radiator frame.

The Wolf's R380 Oil Cooler uses the same style mount as early V8 Engine Oil Coolers.

Here's some parts pics -

Civvy R380 "Oil Cooler" for comparison -

Excellent, thanks for that Paul.

Mike, I can't believe the size of the bleed hole in the divider plate of a stock radiator, no wonder 300Tdi's are a bit marginal in cooling capacity here in summer.

I still haven't fitted my cooler yet, only had the t/stat housing and pipes for seven years......

The fix here is to run Castrol Syntrans 75W-85, and even that can thin out too much in the top end (Top of WA. NT, Qld) behind a TD5 towing.

It's a tougher trans fluid than MTF94, which isn't available here anyway.

I've gone to Motul Gear 300. Solves the high temp issues.

I've not seen inside a 300Tdi left tank.....

I believe that a ZA mod is to add another devider plate another third up the tank.

IMO the 300Tdi rad is a shambles. They should have used the same rad as the 200Tdi and taken the pipe across the bottom of the engine. That way you'd have had a proper crossflow radiator......Then a devidor plate wouldn't have been necessary....

A couple of years ago I aquired a 200Tdi rad to fit into mine. The stumbleing block at the time was pipework....

i think oil to coolant works fine for what you describe. i have an oil to coolant cooler (laminova) on my autobox (tgv) and it works well with a restirctor in it.

things to consider. if engine or box get too hot they heat the other.

Failure of the cooler can bugger things up nicely for both.

• 1 year later...

Old thread revival time!

I was thinking of doing this for my project. Lexus V8 on R380.Has anyone done it? Does anyone know the normal operating temperature of the oil in an R380 or of the water coming out of a radiator? I know there is a few variables. Just wondering if anyone has actually measured these to work out if its viable? or has anyone done it before?

Cheers

Jad

I dont see why this would be any problem , you are effectively doing the same with autobox , and that is more susceptible to o/heat damage than a manual box, the same oil was specced for 380 originally . The only question mark would be the heat capacity of the radiator , but if it handles an auto should be able to deal with a manual , as i would expect that to be cooler running . Less heat generated thru slippage etc JMHO .

FWIW I logged some g/box temps a few years ago.

IIRC (and the memory isn't quite what it used to be...) I think I hit 75*C or so 7km from home just cruising up the highway @ 100km/h. Can't recall the ambient, but it was only a mild day.

The t/stat is rated @74*C........

I'd use a dedicated air/oil cooler.

That was taken with a thermocouple attached to the pump transfer pipe on the outside rear of the R380.

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. Hadnt realised there were any cos I didnt get an e-mail..... The thing I wasnt quite sure about was if the coolant on the cold side of the radiator was going to be lower than the temp of the gearbox oil. Obviously its not much use as a cooler if what you are trying to cool with is hotter than what you are cooling! Anybody have an idea of what the temperature of coolant exiting the radiator is on a V8?

cheers

Jad