Pre 1960's MOT exemption

CwazyWabbit

I'm obviously very late to the party here but this caught my eye today

http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/statements/penning-20111103/

Looks like they are planning to make pre 1960 vehicles exempt from MOT's so Series 1 owners and a few Series 2 owners won't have to see Mr MOT man each year. Obviously you still have to keep the vehicle roadworthy and legal.

Reading that info, i think you are being a bit optimistic. It reads "certain vehicles operated or used in exceptional conditions and vehicles which are never, or hardly ever, used on public highways,"

So, yes for a show vehicle or similar it could happen, but it doesnt seem likely that a 'daily driver' will be exempt.

Reading that info, i think you are being a bit optimistic. It reads "certain vehicles operated or used in exceptional conditions and vehicles which are never, or hardly ever, used on public highways,"

So, yes for a show vehicle or similar it could happen, but it doesnt seem likely that a 'daily driver' will be exempt.

which if you kept it in good nick, there couldnt tell? :huh:

The part you are quoting is the EU directive, our Secretary of State for Transport has said

'The Department for Transport has today published a consultation on a proposal to exempt vehicles of historic interest (vehicles manufactured prior to 1 January 1960) in Great Britain (GB) from statutory MoT test, as allowed under Article 4(2) of the EU Directive 2009/40/EC.'

'Whilst it is important to ensure that vehicles are safe to use on the highway, it is also important to ensure that regulations imposed are not excessive. Currently, both the age and the categories of vehicles requiring the MoT test in GB go further than the EU Directive on roadworthiness test 2009/40/EC, which only subjects post-1960 registered vehicles to a compulsory roadworthiness test and does not require motorcycles of any age to do a statutory roadworthiness test.'

So the directive that allows the exemption of "certain vehicles operated or used in exceptional conditions and vehicles which are never, or hardly ever, used on public highways," also "only subjects post-1960 registered vehicles to a compulsory roadworthiness test"

obviously just my interpretation though

Show vehicle is not something that's a bit shiny, it refers to Showman's vehicles - EG fairground trucks, tractors, steam engines, that sort of thing. The historic military vehicile boys are very into this with their tanks & transporters etc.

Also - why avoid a £30 annual safety check? If your car can't pass it then you shouldn't be on the road.

I wasn't thinking of it in an avoidance way, I was thinking more along the lines of the issues that come up on here from time to time where the MOT man is more used to dealing with euroboxes and tries applying the same criteria to a car that is older than him, even when the vehicle is exempted from those.

I wasn't thinking of it in an avoidance way, I was thinking more along the lines of the issues that come up on here from time to time where the MOT man is more used to dealing with euroboxes and tries applying the same criteria to a car that is older than him, even when the vehicle is exempted from those.

I think that counts for everything not just older cars, I'd wager that above 50% of testers are appling rfrs incorrectly to everything they test, the changes this year really haven't helped matters either.

Two garages round the corner from me in competition - one is £25, one is £19.99.

Reducing the test fee by more than 15% means the vts will recieve penalty points, i think if you discount below 50% you get even more.

Vosa really don't like vts's reducing the test fee, their thinking is the the reducion in test fee equals a reduction in the quality of the test.

And i have to say that my experiances support this. Think about it if they're testing at a loss, how do they make up the short fall? in items that should be a pass an advise becoming failures in order to get the repairs.

I think that counts for everything not just older cars, I'd wager that above 50% of testers are appling rfrs incorrectly to everything they test.

Indeed, having my landy tested for 10 years in the UK, I got 10 different stories from different testers at several stations.

Daan

Reducing the test fee by more than 15% means the vts will recieve penalty points, i think if you discount below 50% you get even more.

Vosa really don't like vts's reducing the test fee, their thinking is the the reducion in test fee equals a reduction in the quality of the test.

And i have to say that my experiances support this. Think about it if they're testing at a loss, how do they make up the short fall? in items that should be a pass an advise becoming failures in order to get the repairs.

There's an MOT station near me that only charges if a vehicle passes the test, and no sign of VOSA being camped outside or anything suspicious goings on. They are however, very strict, but then there are a few garages that are, so perhaps they do make their money on doing the repairs necessary to get the car a ticket.

VOSA check how long it takes to do the test by checking the length of time the tester is logged into the system for each vehicle, and if the time is too short, then they enquire as to why that is or even pay the garage a visit.

Les.