How the hell did ARB Win the Locker war when McNamara was out there

http://www.facebook....262992553742834

Unsure if the Linky above will work, but hope it does :blink:

It shows a diff that was in for rebuild recently, what a SUPERB bit of kit.

The McNamara in my Humble knocks spots off any ARB in so many ways - seem before, but Steve and I were both

serioulsy impressed when its in bits and you can see the workings, clever clever Diff ....

Simple - the locking arrangement is hugely stong (no plastic cage) and robust simple and hugely effective

Strong - no ARB seals nonsense, a locking lever controlled by a Piston / Spring combo powered by Air

Same casing fitting as an ARB (NPT) but Better Brass fitting assembly :)

Kin Heavy (diff boynged the scales built at a Staggering 35+KGs !

Just lovely

If I ever see one of these up for sale I will grab it, I am sick of ARB probs, inc my own, seals leaking, cages breaking, flanges ovaling etc etc

How the hell did ARB beat this, was it just money + Advertsing or was the McNamara hugely more expensive ? dead Curious

Seen here rebuilt + Ashcroft Monster HD 3.5 CW&P into a Megasquirt Pegged Unit

What a b e a u tea full unit :D

Me don't wnat to ship it, me want to keep it :rofl:

Nige

PS Off to see if licky works ................ :blink:

IMHO the ashcroft locker is the best New unit out there new

I THINK McNamara are not made any more so s/h might be less than a new ashlocker

I would not buy a new arb at any money !

If a McNamara turns up for the right money I would snap it up otherwise my money would be a ashlocker when my arb dies again its already on borrowed time .....squared !

Are McNamara still going or not ?

Nige

There was an agent here in Malta who is a friend of mine (does not trade anymore it seems) as well, they always had neat and indestructable stuff. Chance of getting them is if you know anyone down under.

Thier toy conversions sold well here.

I have been on the hunt for thier manual locker for the salisbury unit for years now.

Communications with mr macnamara are rather difficult if not impossible from what i heard.

G

Are McNamara still going or not ?

McNamara are still very much on the go. However i contacted Jeff at McNamara as a mate of mine has had dealings with him before, and apparently although they designed and built the 'pro-locker' they have sold the rights to TJM of Brisbane.

So to answer: yes McNamara diff lockers are still available to buy through TJM

I nearly bought McNamara diffs when I changed from Quaife diffs, wanting "proper" locking diffs. I really liked the look of them and was quite keen to buy. The reason I didn't and ended up going with ARBs was simply because ARBs were easily available in the UK, had spares and warranty support and weren't stupid money. McNamara at the time met none of the above criteria and were, at best, reluctant to talk to potential customers and, at worst, they were downright rude.

From my experience I would say that the reason ARB "won" the diff wars was that, not being the best doesn't matter when you're the only real player.

Not sure about the scrapiron influence as my experience was before scrapiron appeared on the scene but I doubt scrapiron made them any cheaper. Price wise, regardless of customer service issues, I vaguely remember the McNamara coming it at around £1100 each and the ARB around £450 at the time. Most of that cost was because they had no European distributors.

A lot of it was down to price. they were even more here in Australia

It is the same as with maxi drive unit is also a lot better but a lot more expensive than ARB. And they had the and in my mine still have the strongest shafts and Nige you You have first hand experience of what used to do to them.

I am just about to get my self a set of Maxi Drive shafts and looking at a diff locker from them. Although they are not called Maxi drive but Hi Tough it is still the same stuff.

(null)