Which A frame ball joint

options options, decisions decisions!

I like the idea of buying one pressed into the housing but has anyone had one for any length of time? MPS do one for £60, Gwyn Lewis ~£90. These are unbranded.

adjustable and greasable? any need for this?

I can pick up a Delphi for less than £20 delivered so I am tempted to 'have a go' myself (yes I have read the threads :blink: ).

I just want to know how long the unbranded ones are likely to last and is the delphi a better/safer bet?

cheers knowlegable ones!

G

I'm no expert in this as I've never done one, but I'd be tempted to go for the greasable one as it'll could give you longer service, but then again, if your truck is only a weekend toy, then go tfor the Delphi one, seeing as you can buy 3 delphi ones for a Gwn Lewis one!

steer clear of unbranded ones IMO, you might be able to take the delphi one apart anyway and fit a grease nipple yourself actually if it were me, I'd go for the Delphi one and see if I could modify it.

Can't say for sure but I suspect when you buy one already pressed in it is likely to be the delphi one (or in Gwen Lewis's case a better quality greasable one) the rest of the cost is for sourcing a housing (exchange unit?), pressing the old joint out, cleaning and painting the housing then pressing the new unit, getting that done for £40 is not that bad.

If you try and do it your self it really is easiest to take the housing and joint to a garage or engineering shop and get them to change it for you, if you ask nicely you may get some one to do it for a few quid cash during there lunch break.

Can't say for sure but I suspect when you buy one already pressed in it is likely to be the delphi one (or in Gwen Lewis's case a better quality greasable one)

thats what im trying to establish. is it actually better quality?

G

i got an unbranded one for £10 and fitted it a fornight ago, bit of a pain to change, the best method was to leave the fulcrum in the fire for 5 min before knocking the old one out! as for longevity i can only tell you its lasted a fornight.

as i dont do too much extreme stuff off road i decided a cheapo unit would do

I'd personally get a delphi one (and I did). There was an adjustable one in there before (didn't know it was), but I laugh at the notion that it was adjustable, having seen the state of it.

Unbranded ones (britpart and the like) are a complete waste of time and effort.

I am replacing my ball joint tomorrow. Just ordered part number DA1129 that the ball joint already fitted into the fulcrum, quoted £44.40 inc VAT. Will put this on as I haven't time to get one pressed in. Intend to install a Heavy duty/ greasable joint to the old fulcrum, as I don't have a press will make changing more convenient. Worth doing if you intend keeping your vehicle a while I.M.H.O.

Changed mine on Wednesday. It cost £43.80 came in a britpart box but was a genuine item.

Could you see that the joint was genuine/delphi? or just the housing?

I have put my hand in my pocket and bought a Delphi with new bolts for £25 delivered.

let the hammering commence!

G

Yeah it's defo genuine as the independant dealer where I got it had never had one In before. We compared the ball joint with britpart and genuine from his stock, and it's defo genuine.Was pleased I forgot to ask as I forgot to ask brand when I ordered. Hope this helps

Also forgot to mention that the fulcrum was powder coated too.

• 2 weeks later...

it took 15.6 tons at my local engineering shop to press mine in... good luck with the hammer!

I must be one of the chosen few :D a couple of dozen hammer blows and it came out in 1 piece. Didn't even need to touch the bolts.

Now I just need to get the old bushes out and push in my new Superpro ones.

Glad I got on with this now, the joint boot had split and there wasn't much grease in it and the bushes are pretty bad. I suppose it has all been on for >16 years!

G

Mine came out with a very large hammer also...but i did manage to smash the vice off the bench at the same time!

no such luxury for me.

A block of wood and the floor is all I have to work with. Still, when it comes to bush repairs atleast I dont know any different!

bushes are being stubborn now. going to burn them out.

Did the new joint go in easy enough Boris?

G

no such luxury for me.

A block of wood and the floor is all I have to work with. Still, when it comes to bush repairs atleast I dont know any different!

bushes are being stubborn now. going to burn them out.

Did the new joint go in easy enough Boris?

G

Getting it out took a real pounding so I didn't try to fit the new one with the vice, popped down to the local ag supplier and used his nice 46t press! It took the best part of 4 minutes.

Harry

• 3 years later...

Gwyn Lewis A frame ball joints are just standard ones , drilled and a grease nipple fitted. How do I know.!

I rang him up and asked if they were they specially made for him and he said NO, just standard and he drills them and fits a grease nipple.

MY advice ( Buy a standard one, drill it thread it and fit your own grease nipple) Simples

• 1 month later...

I fitted a bearmach one that was already fitted to the fulcrum it's the greasable / adjustable wide angle one but its only been on for about 6 months and for 3 months the 90 was in bits whilst we replaced the chassis but up to now it's been ok

Graham

Where did you get this from Graham? Looking to get one just now but hard to establish if the BJ is Bearmach or some lesser quality thing made from toffee.