I just got myself a Pillar drill what else have I been missing out on?

Thanks everyone - look at the list I now have to buy :rolleyes:

I bought a second hand 25 and ton hydraulic press last year and it is brilliant! I spent hours getting a set of hockey stick bushes out last year without it, changed a set last week with it in just over ten mins!

As we’re now talking about smaller thules:

Air-driven drill. Fantastic power-to-weight ratio. Will drill holes in tight spaces, and not complain about being ‘throttled back’ for slower RPMs required for drilling metal. A lot more robust than a battery drill too, and you can stall it with minimal damage.

BUT, make sure your compressor is man enough for the job. And by that I don’t mean the nominal CFM quoted on the tool.

When I worked as a fitter in a large workshop, my air drill was perfect. I could crawl into allsorts of tight spaces underneath trucks and drill mounting holes components. When I got a desk job, however, and I took the drill home, my little wolf compressor was just not man enough to power it without stalling. This is despite the fact the free air delivery of the compressor is nominally enough to power the drill.

Oh, and hearing protection is a must!

Drill bit sharpener. I have a small bench grinder. What make of sharpening device do you all suggest please. Price IS a consideration.

This type works well ..... if you read the instructions

http://www.axminster...ment-prod21271/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370602121264

sure I've seen them cheaper elsewhere

EDIT: yep cheapest where Vulcan Bomber said http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/dga1-drill-grinding-attachment?da=1&TC=GS-060221110

• 4 weeks later...

So I have today realised another item i have been missing I brought a Hydraulic crimper and whilst not the cheapest tool in the world I am so impressed I brought it to do the battery lugs on the storage unit but this evening have been using it to do standard crimp connections. One word WOW, why have I been messing around with hand crimps using the smaller die made a great job of crimping connections, battery lugs and anything else I did. It made a really professional job and of wiring an investment I would recommend to all.

...yet you've used the pillar drill 30 times in three days......you'd use it, trust me!! Brother has one which we were using years ago, found no end of uses for it. Once the upheaval with Kettle has all settled down, I have a small inheritance that came out of the blue which I said would be for the workshop. Frosts have one I thought it would stretch too. Believe me, the number of times I've cursed not having access to one still!

I bought a plasma cutter and love it its like cutting with a pen...well a very hot pen.

Thanks for the warning fozsug. I don't think I'll bother. I'll keep taking the exercise with the Lazy Tongs.

I'll add to the maching vice. Makes drilling easier. I only have a bench drill but what a difference to drilling. Now to get the 3metre X 100mm X 50mm X 6mm channel to that drill. on second thoughts the hand drill might be easier.

img04341p.th.jpg

I made this hinge using the chop saw and the belt sander.

Very nice job ;)

Any chance of a close up of one of the crimps it did and a close up of the smallest die Please? :) Oh and if you are feeling generous a gratuitous shot of the battery crimp ;)

I will take some more photos in the morning the photo below is poor quality phone photo due to the light, I will take some more photos tomorrow.

Jason.

img00371201205061926.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-05-06

A Donkeysaw

I bought this about 2 years ago :

£100 was the scrap value, paid £120 for it and delivery, big 1/2 HP single phase motor, coolant pump and built like a

proverbial, cheap as chips, cuts dead straight inc Tube (even thin stuff) Plate, sheet angle and "Lumps" - I have cut up a 75mmx75mm "Lump" into chunks for

helping hold things whilst welding them up - I use this so often now worth every penny and them some

Blades last for ages, and are cheap. cuts angles and they turn up on ebay now and again and can be cheap esp 3 phase and they are dead easy to

chnage to single phase...Kin heavy (hence scrap value)

post-22-0-48624400-1336339420_thumb.jpg

But I Just love it :)

Nige

A Donkey saw always cuts dead straight whereas band saws tend to wander a bit. They can often cut much bigger lumps of metal than a band saw of similar size.

However, small band saws can be used vertically for cutting profiles. They also tend to be a fair bit faster.

I have a small bandsaw but would like to replace it with a bigger one as I'm finding the 125mm max cut diameter a bit limiting. I can always use the plasma for cutting profiles when needed.

Si

A Donkeysaw

I bought this about 2 years ago :

£100 was the scrap value, paid £120 for it and delivery, big 1/2 HP single phase motor, coolant pump and built like a

proverbial, cheap as chips, cuts dead straight inc Tube (even thin stuff) Plate, sheet angle and "Lumps" - I have cut up a 75mmx75mm "Lump" into chunks for

helping hold things whilst welding them up - I use this so often now worth every penny and them some

Blades last for ages, and are cheap. cuts angles and they turn up on ebay now and again and can be cheap esp 3 phase and they are dead easy to

chnage to single phase...Kin heavy (hence scrap value)

post-22-0-48624400-1336339420_thumb.jpg

But I Just love it :)

Nige

Be carefull with it... My dad lost the end of one of his fingers on 1 of them things!

We don't have much trouble with our bandsaw anymore, the trouble is they always get neglected, and the muppets don't know how to use it. They're forever complaining its not cutting vertical, then when I go and look at it, they've got the roller stand too high, so the material isn't sitting flat on the bed so of course it won't cut straight! We've just replaced all the guide bearings which were knackered, its even better now, and keeping a sharp blade in it helps, ours tends to lose its kerf on one side of the blade, and then it starts wandering to that side. New blade usually cures it.

Cheers for that Jason, always good to see some that someone else has done .... it'll make it more obvious when I've messed one up :) Mine is due to arrive tomorrow :)

Have you tried destruction testing any of the crimps you have done?

Cheers for that Jason, always good to see some that someone else has done .... it'll make it more obvious when I've messed one up :) Mine is due to arrive tomorrow :)

It's fairly difficult to mess up, although I think I used a smaller die than I should have on a couple now if I am not sure I go big and then reduce the size.

Have you tried destruction testing any of the crimps you have done?

What do you think Barry!!! It was the first thing I did :unsure: The only way I could pull the cable out was by cutting the crimp with a disk!! I have noted on other crimper's it just crimps one point where these crimp 360 degrees so seem to grab the cable more securely. I would normally fill the lug with solder first and then melt the cable in but it is really not required.

Jason.