Whats the best method for cleaning parts......

I'm about to embark on some maintenance and servicing now I've got some time off work. I've just got the track rod off to replac the TREs and I thought (along with many other parts) that while it's off I'd like to clean the track rod up and re-paint it. Easy task I thought but then my track rod is layered with mud/dirt on the outside and multi-year layers of waxoyl. Without a sandblaster I wondered whats the easiest and best way to get all this off as well as any surface rusk that may exist underneath the waxoyl such that I have a well primed surface fpr repainting and then re-applying fresh waxoyl? I was thinking one of those heavy guage wire rotating brushes that fit into a drill may be an efficient and effective method?

I'd remove the goo first, if there wasn't a hose pipe ban I'd pressure wash then degreaseer then pressure wash again and when I knew what I was dealing with probably move on to a twisted knot wire brush on the angle grinder followed by a light rub with some abrasive paper.

Without the pressure washer it's a similar process just more scrubbing.

If you soak the steel parts in a good strong solution of oxalic acid after degreasing that works well on thick rust or even phosphoric acid if you can get it but keep an eye on it and wash any residue off later.

Both poison by the way as you would expect!

PS I think you can get oxalic on eBay :unsure:

If you soak the steel parts in a good strong solution of oxalic acid after degreasing that works well on thick rust or even phosphoric acid if you can get it but keep an eye on it and wash any residue off later.

Both poison by the way as you would expect!

PS I think you can get oxalic on eBay :unsure:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-Oxalic-Acid-Hull-Deck-GRP-Cleaner-Rust-Remover-/270765110076?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item3f0adbb33c#ht_1555wt_698

Citric acid or electrolysis also work well for rust removal but I wouldn't use them on safety critical items, mainly because a lot of people go on about hydrogen embrittlement being caused by these processes. Whilst I haven't seen any scientific testing of this I don't fancy being the guinea pig. That said they do make a lovely job of cleaning stuff up, especially ferrous castings.

Great comments as always. Dishwasher just aint quite big enough!

Esssentially then get the old waxoyl off first. Will pressure washing even get it off. What about of I dunked it in a bath of hot water first all will that make things messier? I guess the old paint scraper and elbow grease is first then. Can you burn the stuff off?

Surley all that oil and waxy stuff is a better rust preventative than any paint?

Otherwise scrape then a wipe with rags and the wire brush on the angle grinder.

Will (not brave enough for the dishwasher)

Great comments as always. Dishwasher just aint quite big enough!

Esssentially then get the old waxoyl off first. Will pressure washing even get it off. What about of I dunked it in a bath of hot water first all will that make things messier? I guess the old paint scraper and elbow grease is first then. Can you burn the stuff off?

Depends how strong your pressure washer is, a cousin of mine had one that would cut wood :blink: The reason I said to pressure wash before degreaser was to get mud and carp off so as to not have to use as much degreaser .....

When I cleaned my replacement engine that was caked in carp and oil I just pressure washed, blasted water off with compressed air then sprayed degreaser on left to soak in then pressure washed again.

A bit of white spirit brushed into waxoyl should help to disolve it......

A bit of white spirit brushed into waxoyl should help to disolve it......

I used White/Methylated spirits, Jizer & scouring pads to clean a full 90 Chassis & Axles of Waxoyl, much more effective (and much harder/time consuming) than Pressure Washing or Steam Cleaning - which i tired first.

Spray/Brush on Spirits, aggitate with Scouring Pad, Spray on Jizer, wipe off with rag.

Only took a full week :blink::blush: