swapping wheels and delamination??

discomikey

i swapped all the wheels round on dads D4 today just to keep the tyre tread even as the front left has had a bit of a hammering from roundabouts. so i did it like i normally would. front left to back right, front right to back left. and rear left to front left, rear right to front right.

then the person i do labouring work for comes into the yard and says that your not supposed to run a tyre in the opposite direction from what it has done since it was put on, apparently it could delaminate.

i carnt see how this works at all, as its a round tyre, not a remould. so i says to him im not sure about that. i could possibly see why with a remould but then again i think it would be very unlikely. the only time i can see swapping them from one side to another is a problem is if they were directional and they would end up backwards. can someone shed me some light on this subject?

Crossply tyres (at least race slicks) have to be put on a certain way round. Different ways for front, rear and four wheel drive this because if you get it wrong you peel the tyres apart. Radials don't have this problem unless directional and that's a grip thing.

Mike

It is my understanding that modern road tyres are not supposed to be swapped from one side to the other because the rubber takes on a 'set' in terms of the tread wear. Although not immediately obvious with a casual glance, the tread wears in a certain way due to the characteristics of the directional load (tread blocks can wear to a different height front to rear for example).

Vehicle manufacturers and tyre fitters recommend that the tyres should only be swapped on the same side because the tyres 'may' cause handling problems when swapped to the 'other side'. There 'may' also be accelerated wear to the tread when tyres are swapped to the other side.

Regards,

Diff.

Does this not create an issue with rotating the spare also? I have seen a wear difference between the front and back of tread blocks, you see it far more pronounced on the front wheel of a motorbike, especially on sports bikes. I had assumed this was caused by aggressive braking and with a car assumed regular swapping of wheels diagonally would balance this wear out.

You live and learn eh, although I would say I have never had a tyre delaminate on me.

Cheers for the info Diff

Here's my 2p from a few thousand miles away. In a former life, I peddled Yokohama race tyres (slicks & radials) here in the US. I was told by the engineesr to rotate front to back / same side only. It was not an issue of the rubber taking a set. It is the "belts" (steel or otherwise) that take the set. Cornering loads on a tyre, push the tread inboard. I can't remember all the detail of what happens to the sidewalls. After some running, every tyre shifts a bit & settles in. Move the trye anywhere else, you reverse load & rotation. "Supposedly" reversing the load through the tyre, can lead to failures. For all it's worth, I have seen it happen. Every few weekends a low budget racer needed to replace one tyre, buy didn't want to buy a new set. They would grab one of their rotation marked tyres (we alway identified the location/direction when we mounted them), & not care where they fitted it. Several times, I witnessed major carcass failures of the misplaced tyre. Several times, cars were written off. These were not pure race chassis, they were "Showroom Stock" class cars, running Yokohama's high performance street rubber.

Cheers,

Steve