Oh ****...The mrs is not going to be happy ! Just bought another o

zim

Well, pretty much as per title....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300693676674

1964 Series II A with overdrive and carb'd v8.... So i guess when i get it back the v8 will be coming out and an efi will be going in :)

What are the odd's of being able to drive it back from Perth to Manchester - 260miles ? Or would i better taking the trailer to collect.........

G

I looked at the ad, and thought about how much I loved my SII (my first car!)! I'd like another one, but I don't think I could help myself modifying it! I decided against bidding on one when I started wondering what it would be like as a Diesel Electric hybrid - then decided I have enough projects!

Si

The AA theory has been mentioned today....in amongst my work mates taking the mick out of me for buying another "piece of scrap" put politely !

I am due up in Aberdeen in two weeks, so i think i'll go up to perth by train carry on up to Abdn in a Mitsi Evo with a work mate then drive (well attempt) this back after my course ?

G

The AA theory has been mentioned today....in amongst my work mates taking the mick out of me for buying another "piece of scrap" put politely !

I am due up in Aberdeen in two weeks, so i think i'll go up to perth by train carry on up to Abdn in a Mitsi Evo with a work mate then drive (well attempt) this back after my course ?

G

If you find you're around Montrose and stuck, I'm on the north quay in a big orange thing with a helideck.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, went up to Perth this morning on the train...and drove this back to manchester ! No problems (that would stop the trip).

Used about a tank of fuel, so not that bad compared to what i'm used to (RR 4.6 and 6.0 TD).

270 miles in 5 1/2 hours, with bad traffic.

Got back to find that a couple of the U bolts holding the axles on were a bit loose - it'll explain the reason it wandered on the road when you let off the accelerator ! As well as an oil leak from the gearbox or transfer box ?

Wow! They changed a whole engine because of a worn out prop shaft. That's keen...

Maybe he should have changed the diffs as well, theres loads of play in them ! Will strip the axles down and remove the backlash.

What is the rough speed limit for an overdrive ? It was quite comfortable at 60mph.

Put a timing light on it this evening and it's way out so might have a tinker tomorrow.

Fealt good to drive a good ol series again !

G

Speed limit for an Overdrive? No idea, but mines but up to 90 and not suffered. These days, we tend to sit around 60 on the motorway anyway, the TDi never really gets a workout now.

That's because of the noise, not the available performance - mine's the same; over 60 and it just gets too damned noisy.

So, the ad says it's well looked after and reliable, but then says the rad is leaking (and we know V8s are quite sensitive to that sort of thing), he hasn't bothered to do the "easily fixed" transfer output shaft seal and the tyres are mismatched, so could have some interesting characteristics braking in the wet... And how does someone who doesn't know the difference between a prop shaft and crank shaft properly maintain a vehicle? I'll add my vote to making sure your AA membership is valid before you collect it! ;)

I'll add my vote to making sure your AA membership is valid before you collect it! ;)

See above posts :) It drove home :)

To be fair the water level didn't drop either and it cools impressively - although i don't think there is a thermostat in it. So i'll machine up a boss later to fit a radiator fan switch (currently on / off switch) and check the thermostat at the same time.

Removing the thermostat can actually cause overheating too, as the flow through the rad is too fast for the coolant to shed its heat properly.

It looks like it'll be a fun vehicle after a bit of tidying up and sorting out - hope it serves to well, Zim.

The good old thermostat arguement :D At the moment it overcools, thats why i don't think there is one fitted. When I went through a rain storm, the temp gauge was nearly at the bottom :lol: That was only noticed after i spent a few minutes figuring out how to work the old style wipers :lol:

If i put a radiator switch in it, i'll also know an exact temperature and be able to remember this on the gauge as it's currently got a series dash. I have no intention of putting any extra gauges in.

G

So.................

Tinkered with it a little bit on the weekend. Found that the play in the rear axle was worn drive members, replaced these but stripped the diff out to see if there was any excess backlash - none found - but found a RR 3.54 diff in there. The front is also a RR.

Tightened up all the spring U bolts. Topped up gear oils. Replaced the vac advance diaghpram as it wasn't moving. Reset timing.

Then went greenlaning yesterday.....and the engine started missing :lol: maybe i shouldn't have fiddled with it ! I'll throw some new plugs in it today just to check. Apart from that drives nice and straight with decent brakes !

One thing i realised that i'd forgotten, is that for the last 3 years i've been driving my challenge truck. (Which has big wheels, lockers, articulation, winches etc etc etc.) Hell, in a basic old series it's hard work driving up and down bumpy / rocky lanes ! I'd forgotten what they were like. Glad i bought it though :)

G

Don't have a speedo, broken cable. They're definately 3.54 diffs, we've stripped enough to recognise them :lol:

Put new spark plugs in her today and it's running much better. So obviously threatening it with an EFI has worked :lol:

G