X-Eng Naming Competition - Poll for winner

simonr

X-Something  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following short list of generic names for security products do you like the most?

• X-Armour
    • X-Clude
    • X-Defend
    • X-Impede
    • X-Lox
    • X-Off
    • X-Protect
    • X-Repel
    • X-Stop
    • X-Vex

Last week, in this thread http://forums.lr4x4....showtopic=75701 I asked fro suggestions for what to call X-Eng's range of Security products - and the response was overwhelming! There were several that made me laugh - even if not the kind of thing you could legally use.

With a little help from my friends in the pub, we have boiled the list down to 10 or so really good suggestions - so over to you to pick an overall winner.

The person who suggested it first will win the first of the Pedal Box Locks - or if they don't have a vehicle it will fit, anything else from X-Eng to the same kind of value.

Si

I was a little surprised to be able to see the current results BEFORE I voted.

I felt sure in other forums the voter had to make their own mind up rather than 'follow the crowd'.

I realise this is a software 'issue', not specific to this poll.

I suppose there might be a configuration option somewhere that stops this 'result preview'.

Re 'how long to run'; I make it 80 votes so far. I'll leave Simon to check how that compares to the number who posted in the original suggest names thread :-)

Cheers.

David, it didn't seem to give an option for that! If it did, I missed it!

I figure on letting it run until the number of votes per unit time declines and the thread drops off the bottom of the page.

Looking good so far - I voted for one of the top two!

Si

I think the winner is pretty clear! I'll end the poll now. The winner therefore is........CwazyWabbit! Congratulations - you win the first pedal box lock.

Since X-Lox is a pretty close second, I'd like to award Zoltan the first Gear Stick Lock for either LT77 or R380 Defender boxes.

If either of you don't have a Defender (90/110/130 etc) - let me know & I'll see if we can find a decent alternative! Not sure of the timescale for either - but both are pretty close.

Si

Do you have a time scale on pedal boxes yet? I am conscious that my 110 is all too easy to get into and being a 200Tdi, all too easy to start without full electrics. A price would be helpful too.

How much is it to get Thatcham approval these days?

Jeremy,

Not sure of timescale yet. The prototype was made by welding stainless hinge to laser cut & folded panels. I've since found a company who can roll a hinge directly on to the edge of a plate - but they are not the easiest to deal with. They will not work from CAD drawings and do not use email! It's been a slow process sending drawings by fax. For the same reason, the costings are up in the air at the moment - but my plan is to make them all as cheap as they feasibly can be.

No idea on the Thatcham approval. First I need to have a product they can approve! I have a feeling it may be expensive though. I talked to a couple of insurers who said they ONLY give discounts for Thatcham approved products - but even if it has approval, they rarely offer a discount - which makes me wonder how worthwhile the approval is? I guess it will come down to cost at the end of the day.

I have another little prototype to show you!

X-Defend Valve1.jpg

X-Defend Valve2.jpg

These are my Lockable Hydraulic valves. X-Defend Valve-Lock It's rated to 1500psi and has a 1/4" bore with 1/4 BSP fittings so could potentially be used on anything from fuel to steering fluid on a vehicle. I still have to make a panel mounting kit for it - so for example it could be mounted in the seat box with the handle inside. It can be locked open as well as closed (to stop your mates playing tricks on you!). I'm hoping for a retail cost of about £80 - so a bit better than any alternative!

Si

Yup - that would be a bit of a vulnerability! I have cam lock security screws but it will be supplied with both so you can trial fit & test, then put in the permanent screw when you are happy.

Si

Simon

I am down at Thatcham next month doing a presentation to the engineering group, I will see if I can find someone to give me a clue regarding product evaluation costs, and will enquire amongst the insurers there how much value they put on Thatcham approvals.

Do they really measure the benefits of lower claims where such items are fitted, or is it a great marketing tool to help increase their customer base.

The cynic in me suspects the latter, in that anyone who has a Thatcham approved security system is likely to look after their car security more effectively, thus making a better risk and the type of customer to desire with the prospect of lower claims.

John

Another question, as a lot of your prototypes are using the cylinder type keys will there be an option to buy them keyed alike?

Unfortunately, it seems at the moment I can buy in batches of 200 locks - either keyed the same or uniquely. No mix & match!

There are only two products that use the same lock. The pedal box has the same style of key (RPI Lock), but a different type of lock (cam instead of plunger)

John: That would be great!

Si

A shear bolt is definitely an option - and more secure than one of these cam screws. The cam screw is easy to tighten with a flat blade screwdriver but damn hard to remove even if you use pliars. However, it is possible. I feel this is better as you can remove it if you have time, say when you want to move it to another vehicle. We may decide to dirll a counter-bore which the screw head fits inside. Then the only way to remove it would be a drill/grinder.

Si