X-Eng Naming Competition - Poll for winner

simonr

X-Something  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following short list of generic names for security products do you like the most?

• X-Armour
    • X-Clude
    • X-Defend
    • X-Impede
    • X-Lox
    • X-Off
    • X-Protect
    • X-Repel
    • X-Stop
    • X-Vex

Another idea. As you close it can you make it so it applies the brake pedal?

In a word - no!

It's not a bad idea though - a bit of experimentation called for I think!

Si

It happened to my father's Audi this winter (handbrake on the rear caliper), took a bit of effort to get them to unstick too!

Of course, there you don't have drive on those wheels, so it's a bit different. But still, I don't think it's a very good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update to the Fuel Line / Hydraulic lock. The mounting & facia plates arrived.....

post-74-0-57902600-1337774735_thumb.jpg

Seems to work well and look good too. The facia plate is intended to go inside the cab with the valve outside.

Si

.....These are my Lockable Hydraulic valves. X-Defend Valve-Lock It's rated to 1500psi and has a 1/4" bore with 1/4 BSP fittings so could potentially be used on anything from fuel to steering fluid on a vehicle. I still have to make a panel mounting kit for it - so for example it could be mounted in the seat box with the handle inside. It can be locked open as well as closed (to stop your mates playing tricks on you!). I'm hoping for a retail cost of about £80 - so a bit better than any alternative!

Si

Out of interest if this were used on the power steering fluid would this just make the steering non-assisted? and would it shaft the pump? I'm trying to think of a sensible way to use just one of these with a twin tank veg oil set up.

If one were wanting to put one in the power steering, I would recommend inserting it in the bypass pipe which connects the orbital valve on the steering box to the far end of the PAS cylinder on the pump.

That way, if you turn the steering fully to the right before you close the valve, the fluid will not be able to escape from the cylinder when you steer left - thereby locking it in that position. If you put it anywhere else, it will likely just remove the power steering aspect. The pump has a relief valve which will open to prevent damage in this case - its the same as trying to steer when you are already on full lock.

Fuel only goes in to your engine in one place, even if it's fed from two sources. Put the valve in line with the fuel inlet to the engine! You need a non return valve in the return otherwise the engine will suck fuel through the return.

Si

I remember looking at a brake lock in the past from another supplier http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/Meck_Lock.shtml

And they state

"

Can I fit the Mech Lock System® to the brakes?

NO… & YES!

EU law states that: "Devices to prevent unauthorised use preventing release of the brakes of the vehicles shall not be permitted." We are therefore unable to advertise or supply the Mech Lock System® for use as a brake immobiliser."

You need a non return valve in the return otherwise the engine will suck fuel through the return.

Si

I've not looked at the 110 tank but the return on the 90 tank I'm modifying for my veg oil project only pokes a small amount into the tank so wouldn't pick up any fuel.

I like the pause and play symbols :)

Me too! I thought about it for a long time - and was pleased with the result!

I would not use it in the brake lines. Loosing the truck is still better than being unable to stop - and dying! Anyway, there are no shortage of other suitable places for it - so why risk it!

Si

Simon,

I like your idea of a mechanical fuel cut-off. We all know how easy it would be to over-ride the stop solenoids on Tdi engines.

Have you done any testing as to the amount of running possible with the fuel line shut off? Obviously with the return feed blanked off via an NRV the engine will be sucking against the closed valve in the main fuel line, but is it a case of it will run for a few minutes and then cut out, or is the vacuum great enough that the thing won't start at all with the valve closed?

Now if you could make it electrically actuated so it can be hidden somewhere and then remotely triggered via some security device then even better! :P

On a Td5 at least, it will run OK-ish sucking fuel through the return. It would not go above about 40 without spluttering. I plan to supply NRV's - though I've not sourced a suitable one yet!

I did not want an electrically operated valve - because it's easy to follow the fuel line, find the valve and hot-wire it in the same way you would the stop solenoid. At least with a lockable mechanical valve, it requires the thief to physically break it which takes longer.

On a previous 90, it has a solenoid shut off valve in a fuel line, I thought well hidden and tied in to the Alarm It's next owner had a problem with the alarm immobilising - stranding the vehicle somewhere. He said it took the AA less than 5 mins to hot-wire it! He got back in touch with me to find out who had originally fitted the alarm. This convinced me that a solenoid valve, and a Cat5 Alarm for that matter was worthless!

Also, this valve can be used in a number of applications where a fuel shut off solenoid valve is only pressure rated for fuel.

Si

What you would really need from an elctrically operated solenoid James would be that instead of just power it also needed a code as such. That way hot wiring would be less of an option as you would need to know the correct data sequence to squirt at it. Could be as simple as a microcontroller on the solenoid (with suitable physical protection) and a key with another microcontroller or maybe even just a memory chip. So you get your remote hidden shut off valve and with the equivalent of a key.

Why over simplify a solution when you can add a microcontroller! That's what I say! ;)

This way, you could use Bluetooth perhaps and a smartphone app to unlock it. Of course then you could add a panel full of flashing lights to look technical - and a dash mounted protocol analyser to see if someone is trying to hack the bluetooth while you are on the move.

Better still - you could add a motorised cable reel to spool out a mile or so of wire behind the vehicle and use the microcontroller to direct synthisise secure spread spectrum on VLF which you would be able to pick up from the other side of the world (so long as you added a mile of wire as an antenna for your smart phone). I'm sure there is something you could do with one of those quad-copter drones, launched from your roof too - but I've not thought what yet.

:ph34r:

Si

That would probably work quite well except then I'd come along with a length of fuel pipe and just poke it a slit made in the filler pipe under the wheel arch and then bandit connect it back to the engine, probably work ok on TDI's :P

Like you say, it's all just about slowing people down, make it too complicated and you are just wasting money and not gaining security.

Although I would be interested in one of those quad-copter drones ;)

• 2 months later...