series 3 towing 3.5ton

discomikey

According to the manuals for a 1980 Series II (88" and 109" wheelbase) the weights are as follows:
Max. Permissible Towing Weights On-road Off -road
kg lb kg lb
Trailers without brakes 500 1100 500 1100
Trailers with over-run brakes 2000 4400 1000 2200
4-wheel trailers with continuous 3500 7700 1000 2200
or semi-continuous brakes, i.e.
coupled brakes
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?319640-How-much-will-a-1970-SWB-landrover-tow&s=53c6652cba3a8a4c090de77759689a09#YqcRyHTfefMr5YbS.99

On page 04-12 of the Series III Repair Operation Manual is the following in the attachment.

This matches my french series III 109.

It states 2000 kg on overrun brakes.

My Ford transit does 1800 kg on overrun brakes

a Nissan Patrol, Kia Sorento (2007), Land Rover Defender 110 will all tow 3500kg on overrun brakes

It states 2000 kg on overrun brakes.

My Ford transit does 1800 kg on overrun brakes

a Nissan Patrol, Kia Sorento (2007), Land Rover Defender 110 will all tow 3500kg on overrun brakes

Remember though, that is a single axle trailer. Tandem axle is 3500kg. Over here, the authorities regard the coupled braking system as the same as overrun. The only difference is that with overrun, you have to use two safety chains and with coupled brakes, you cannot have safety chains.

Remember though, that is a single axle trailer. Tandem axle is 3500kg. Over here, the authorities regard the coupled braking system as the same as overrun. The only difference is that with overrun, you have to use two safety chains and with coupled brakes, you cannot have safety chains.

don't believe it works like that in France (it doesn't in the Netherlands for sure)

On the otherhand, I don't see my old 2.25di pull > 2000kg.

don't believe it works like that in France (it doesn't in the Netherlands for sure)

On the otherhand, I don't see my old 2.25di pull > 2000kg.

And, new cars have brakes that work a whole lot better than something built pre-1980. It is not how much it can pull, it is how much it can stop, safely. Patrols, Sorrentos, 110's, and include Cruisers (except Troopies), all have disc brakes. Your series will have drums unless it has been upgraded.

And, new cars have brakes that work a whole lot better than something built pre-1980. It is not how much it can pull, it is how much it can stop, safely. Patrols, Sorrentos, 110's, and include Cruisers (except Troopies), all have disc brakes. Your series will have drums unless it has been upgraded.

True, but the brakes on the last of the Series were quite good. I used to use the 109 to tow some quite heavy loads - 3 tonnes +/-.

Stopping was never the problem, in the once case where a car pulled out in front of me and then stopped (idiot), I was able to lock up all eight wheels.

Servo assisted 11 inch front twin leading shoe brakes on the front axle are perfectly adequate, so long as you aren't cooking them coming down mountains.

Sure, vented grooved disks would be nice, but I'd much rather more power for going UP hills, given a choice.

Oh, and my 109 was rated for 4000kg towing weight and gross train weight of 6700kg, according to the plate fitted to it in the factory.

G.

Would you be able to post / send / ... a picture of that page of the owner's manual?

Although I've already sent the documents to the national authority, I'm still collecting "evidences" as they may be need in the future if an argument arises...

From all I've read, except in the internet foruns where some inconsistency has arisen, the official LR books say the same (as tacr2man stated)

* 500 kg without brakes

* 2000 kg max. recommend, braked trailer with standard LR equipment

* 3500 kg with optional towing equipment, if trailer has 2 axles and coupled brakes

It seems, though, that som LR (with optional equipment????) have been plated for 4000 kg...

Thank you all for all the input. It was valuable and hope in the end it makes a difference.

I'm quite sure my old 109 Stage One V8 was plated for a four ton trailer, as was my older Series 3 diesel. With the latter, I actually did tow four tons (with a 2¼ inch towball) and brakes weren't a problem because it didn't reach speeds which tested the brakes at all - i.e. I could stop very strongly. The Stage One was capable of much higher speeds with a heavy trailer but, in either case, I'd have avoided any big downhills with that weight because I know how freaky brake fade can be (a 1950 bus with vacuum brakes on some big New Zealand hills). Of course, coupled brakes overcome that to some extent, if you are brave enough to rely heavily on them. I have also towed a five ton horse truck up quite a steep hill with a Series 3 88" (an emergency situation, it was stranded on a blind corner), which it did deceptively easily - deceptively because it broke a half-shaft a few weeks later.

Conversely, I have towed large loads (such as a car on a transporter) with some modern vehicles, such as my work-supplied Mitsubishi 4WD, and found the experience very unnerving, despite having more power and vastly better brakes. Twitchy power steering with little feel, over-sensitive brakes, suspension not designed for it and the ability to build up speed too easily all contribute.

What I have learned from all this (law aside) is that the inherent stiffness of a Series chassis, their brakes and steering that require a firm input and the lower speeds involved make these cars very suitable for towing heavy loads, especially as you can call on a whole lower set of gearbox ratios. My one big caveat would be to beware of brake fade on big hills but, really, if you have to tow heavy loads up and down big hills you should be using a truck.

I also recall, when I was interested in big loads twenty years or so ago, that the way to go was using electric brakes. I have absolutely no idea how they work but it could be worth a search?

Talk about a simple question and complicated answers... :unsure:

Having had the same vehicle immatricultated in 3 different countries (UK / NL / FR) gave 3 different sets of ECW / MAM / MTW over the past 30 years gave me some insight how these things work and in short: they don't. Depending on where you live, how the vehicle is immatriculated, what tow bar is fitted, what engine you have makes all the difference.

Below some scan from the Series III Owners Handbook and it makes interesting reading - hope this helps.

LR%20Series%20III%20Handbook%20-%20Page%

Here in France, our SWB diesel Series has a MTW (Max. Allowed Trainweight (Vehicle + trailer) 4.646 kgs. - leaving 3.500 kgs. for the trailer if fitted with overrun brakes. Regardless of the fact that LR themselves state in the handbook that 3.000 kgs. is max. Regarding "type approval" for towbars. Depending on where you live, how the vehicle is registered and in what year you may - or may not - fit anything with a 50 mm. ball. Or jaw in certain countries.

But the questions is, obviously, if towing 3.5 tonnes with a Series Three 2.25 diesel is wise in modern traffic..

Here in France, our SWB diesel Series has a MTW (Max. Allowed Trainweight (Vehicle + trailer) 4.646 kgs. - leaving 3.500 kgs. for the trailer if fitted with overrun brakes. Regardless of the fact that LR themselves state in the handbook that 3.000 kgs. is max. Regarding "type approval" for towbars. Depending on where you live, how the vehicle is registered and in what year you may - or may not - fit anything with a 50 mm. ball. Or jaw in certain countries.

But the questions is, obviously, if towing 3.5 tonnes with a Series Three 2.25 diesel is wise in modern traffic..

in that case....

my numbers (.france also) might add up to:

1367 kg empty ???

2765 kg full

4765 kg max train

4765 - 1367 = 3398kg trailer. But then that would assume it runs on diesel vapour, doesn't have oil and there's no driver ;)

Depending on where you live, how the vehicle is registered and in what year you may - or may not - fit anything with a 50 mm. ball. Or jaw in certain countries.

Additionally Loxam wouldn't allow my to pull a 2 tonne mini-digger on a trailer with my dutch Sorento (2800kg allowed in NL) as i only had a towball withouth the yellow clamb on top they seem to use in France.

But that's a bit off topic ;)

3 Tonne with a diesel is not fun, and is anti social.

Which is why my next task on the 109, once I get the workshop finished (starting on the doors today!!), i plan on putting the turbo back on the 200di.

G.

Don't we love rules & regulations.... ^_^ We have some nice plates near the towballs that clearly state 3500 kgs. max. - usu. quite enough the Police / Gendarme to convince, together with all the paperwork, we're legal. Having our own 3-axle trailers also helps.

We stopped renting stuff here as it is nothing but problems, they don't like you taking things abroad, etc..

The 110 got somewhere in the process a MTW that requires a HGV licence - which we have - to drive so that will be used to tow everything... :hysterical: