pop rivets

dicsosfa

Roy,

In my experience you never have the correct amount or size, a few years ago I brought a 'selection box' that covered most sizes and types but not lots of each. When I want to do a job I order/buy the rivets I need to complete that task, and a few extra that I stick in the selection box.

Jason.

air riveter all the way! I have just rebuilt my rear tub with all cappings and floor etc. I bought 100 each sealed type (no water ingress) 4.8 x 16 & 4.8 x 11.

got them from this place on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/autoperformanceonline/m.html?_nkw=sealed+rivets&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313

Also have a box of normal rivets 4.8 x 12 for where sealed aren't needed and another box of 4.0 x 10 for stuff like fixing chequerplate to the wings

ya knackered that!!

Love my air riveter, although its a little temperamental about working downhill, but the lazy tongs were required when fixing the second row seat clips in The 109, other rivetters were too fat to fit in the gap against the C post

Air riveters are wonderful, I wouldn't be without mine. They make a much better job than ant of the hand powered devices. My LR has an aluminimum body stretched over a steel frame, like a Tomcat, and there must be at least 300 rivets holding the aluminium to the steel.

You need to be careful not to use rivets which are too long as they may not pull up tight. You only want to be about 1 diameter longer than the joint it needs to make. I mainly use 4mm diameter aluminium rivets 8mm long but somethimes also use 6 and 10mm long, only very occasionally would I ise a rivet longer than 10mm.

Cliff

Air riveters are wonderful, I wouldn't be without mine. They make a much better job than ant of the hand powered devices. My LR has an aluminimum body stretched over a steel frame, like a Tomcat, and there must be at least 300 rivets holding the aluminium to the steel.

You need to be careful not to use rivets which are too long as they may not pull up tight. You only want to be about 1 diameter longer than the joint it needs to make. I mainly use 4mm diameter aluminium rivets 8mm long but somethimes also use 6 and 10mm long, only very occasionally would I ise a rivet longer than 10mm.

Cliff

Can you explain a bit clearer on what you mean by "1 diameter longer than joint it needs to make.......?". Got a 6mm diameter hole through 2 sheets of 2mm I need to rivet (so 4mm in total)....Ta

Rob

Pop along to screwfix and get a box of each. Have you got an air rivet gun, they're a good investment :)

G

Not that impressed with Screwfix rivets, they seem to "set" far too easily and boy do they rot (ask me how I know that then), bottom line with poppers is buy the best quality you can, these ones are not the cheapest you can find, but they are good:

link http://www.toolfastd...ind_Rivets.html

I tend to use the screwfix jobbies for temporay fixing and alignment, then rplace em with better qaulity ones (most of the time!)

Can you explain a bit clearer on what you mean by "1 diameter longer than joint it needs to make.......?". Got a 6mm diameter hole through 2 sheets of 2mm I need to rivet (so 4mm in total)....Ta

Rob

The rivet should stick through by...the diameter of the rivet.

EG, take a 4mm rivet, pass it through two pieces of 2mm aluminium. You're going through 4mm of material, plus 1 diameter which is 4mm, so you need an 4+4=8mm rivet.

EG2, take a 2mm rivet, pass it through two pieces of 2mm, you're going hrough 4 plus 1 diameter, 2mm, so thats 4+2=6mm

Any help? Add the diameter of the rivet to the thickness of material you're going through, and thats your ideal length. ~f you've got a 6mm hole for a 6mm rivet, you've got 4mm of material so you need a 6x10mm rivet....and good luck pulling it up!

Pliers type riveters are bluddy hard work with landy sizes pop rivets!

I second the lazy tongs. Had mine for years and they've done a fair bit of work.

The only downside is that you can't use them in confined spaces owing to the need to open them all the way for each stroke.

That's exactly it. The rivet should stick out of the back of the joint by a distance equal to it's diameter. Too little and the rivet is expanded in the hole and fails to clamp the joint, too much and you run the risk of the 'nail' shearing before the joint is clamped.

Just come back in the house after using the air riveter; the only down side is a leak which makes the compressor keep starting up and drowning out the Archers :(

It's also useful to have washers which can be used to spread the load when rivetting softer materials.

Cliff