Is it my poor driving

I saw a topic on here the other evening and didn't want to hijack it but commented that I had experienced similar with my 90.

When I pull away if my gear change is harsh and I jump off the clutch a bit sharpish I get a clank at the rear. In the past I thought this was a normal default Land Rover soundtrack. Also If I ease of the gas and then jump back on the gas whilst going along.

Funny thing is if I am more careful not to jump off the clutch at gear change it doesn't make a clank and I only notice it if I have been driving the car and haven't driven the 90 for ages

Paranoia? :unsure:

If you want to check the half shafts and flanges it's pretty easy, just pop the rubber 'hub cap' jack up the wheel and then turn the wheel back and forth. You'll see any movement between the splines. The drive members are cheap, genuine half shafts are expensive, changing them is simplez.

A frame ball joint is quite cheap from what I have been told... but a pain to change.

When I bought my 110 the transmission slack used to make a bang that would have you searching for clean underpants, I got very good at being gentle with the clutch till I fixed it :) Yours doesn't sound that bad yet ;)

With any defender, you need to be gentle with the gear changes. It seems to be particularly true of newer ones for some reason and if you continue to slam the transmission, it seems to lead to transfer or gearbox failures!

I know of a chap who has had a succession of boxes replaced under warranty. I've never been in his truck with him, but the deafening clonk as he changes gear says it all to me! I must remember to mention it to him - but I have a feeling he may not appreciate criticism of his driving, so I'm waiting for the right moment! A moment when I can make a fast get away!

Si

With any defender, you need to be gentle with the gear changes. It seems to be particularly true of newer ones for some reason and if you continue to slam the transmission, it seems to lead to transfer or gearbox failures!

I know of a chap who has had a succession of boxes replaced under warranty. I've never been in his truck with him, but the deafening clonk as he changes gear says it all to me! I must remember to mention it to him - but I have a feeling he may not appreciate criticism of his driving, so I'm waiting for the right moment! A moment when I can make a fast get away!

Si

You'll be okay. He won't be able to catch you with his dodgy gear changes!

Dave

As with most vehicles., it is the last bit of releasing the clutch pedal that makes the most difference!

Slow up on the last little bit and you can make some fast and clonk free changes.....

I let a mate of mine drive me to hospital in my 90 once after nearly pulling my finger off - jumped down from the roof after folding a rooftent away and my ring caught in the roof bars : X

If I didn't need my good hand to hold my other hand together I'd have rabbit punched him for slapping the clutch out on every change and clonking us all the way there :angry:

You say you have a clank rather than a clonk though - have you checked the exhaust isn't tapping against the chassis where it goes over the back axle? might just need a bit of adjustment.

I found driving the new MR wagons, the puma's have quite heavy clutches compared to the TD5's that are also quiet shallow, there is a bit of a nak to it definatly. It drives me up the wall being a passanger with other folk driving them that aren;t used to defenders and they drop the clutch way too quickly and it doesn't have make the truck "slap" - not good for transmission at all.

Oh dear how embarrassing :blush: :blush: :blush: .......Went to my friend's (ace mechanic and all round fabrication god) workshop today and in passing mentioned the clang I get while pulling away if I am sloppy with the gear change. He asked if I had checked the prop I said I had. Later he said he would have a look.

On emerging from underneath my 90 he told me all the bolts that hold the "A" frame section if that is its name to the underside of the chassis were loose if not almost undone :blush:.

He said the shanked bolts used by the former owner were too long and didn't knipp up!! The embarrassing thing is I hadn't ever checked and its been through an MOT and they didn't notice either :blink:

Anyone know the correct size bolts I need that fix the frame to the chassis of my 90 or even better a part number.

Cheers

J2J :ph34r: