Engine Pre Heating options and opinions...

Hi all

As I've been playing with 'The Pig' for a few days I've decided to look into an upgrade I wished for many times last winter...

Engine Pre Heating, the options I've seen so far are Webasto, Erberspacher or Kenlowe.

If people have or had any of these or others and would like to give success or horror stories it would be gratefully received!

For those who don't know The Pig is a 130 defender with a Mazda SL35 n/a engine which means no glow plugs just a rather useless heater element in the inlet manifold resulting in very difficult winter starting!

Thanks as always in advance!

Mark

Afternoon James

Sorry but although its generally ok (takes about 15 secs until you crank for an easy start in aut/wint/spr) in most conditions when the temperature really drops in winter she realllllly struggles. On 3 occasions last winter and twice the year before she wouldn't start at all (although it had stood for 2/3days)

I had made a few enquiries the other year as I figured it may be an issue with mine but found many other people with the same problem, it seems to be a known feature.

Quotes from elsewhere...

"Mine won't start when temperatures drop so had to instal kenlowe hotstart"

"My boss has a Land Rover 130 with a DI Mazda SL35 engine, it has an ineffective 'griddle' effort sandwiched between the air intake and the inlet manifold to warm the air. It just drains lots of power.

He's resorted to fitting a Kenlowe Hot-start which does the trick on cold mornings"

My Kenlow seized up after a couple of years common problem but considering the price not a great thing I think they have now put the pump externally to try and prevent this however if you wanted a 240v one I would buy one of the Sweedish heaters that comes with a fan etc. Saying that I binned the electric heater and have gone for an Eberspacher, this time of year you can pick them up for the same money and a Kenlow and far more practical when there is no 240v available.

Jason.

i've put an eberspacher in my 200tdi 110 - not really necessary but i wanted to have a warm cab.

Having been using it in feb whilst working on the car, it has been a blessing (had it on and the car blower). takes about 10 minutes to get up to temp when the engine isnt on and should take some of the load off the engine. Got mine for £400 and that included a electic timer, fuel and water pump and of course the heater (D5WZ). I looked at kenlowe heaters but eberspacher is definitely worth while imho.

I have had a Wabasto diesel burning engine pre heater in my 90 300TDi for the last 12 years. Works a treat and a real bonus on cold winter mornings when the TDi takes ages to produce any heat - and that's with the viscous fan removed. DIY fitted, nothing challenging but you do need a twin battery set up and a leisure battery to run the heater.

The series 3 has a Kenlowe 240v ac mains heater, much easier to fit, does the same as the Wabasto but no good if you park in the street. I have my own driveway so an extension lead and timeswitch are fine. Not as quick to heat as the Wabasto and only again good for the first heat of the day when you are at home. Cheaper to buy as well.

Depends when you want the heat, and how much you want to pay...

OK so its a NO to the kenlowe for various reasons.

I'd rather it not be a plug-in 240v type as Im away with work often and one of the times it wouldn't start this winter was after she had been left in the staff car park for 3days whilst away.

So we seem to have thumbs up for Webasto and Eberspacher,

Any advice on models i.e.D5WZ as suggested by PieEater3142 (Wigan? ;) ), or fitting difficulty/tips like Simonb's?

Thanks everyone

Mark

I adjusted my setup but based it around http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=72411

I have a 200tdi setup with an eberspacher rather than webasto, which differs from the guide, but there are some pics from mine on: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=65212

I am looking at a twin battery setup - not because it uses a lot of power, but because when you start the engine it kills the eberspacher, which is not really an problem but it's niggling at me....

I bought a second hand old sytle (integrated) Kenlowe Hot Start for my 109. It works well enough, especially for £20, and made starting and using the car easy and comforatble in that really cold snap, but takes over half an hour to reach full engine running heat by itself (ie. needle in normal stable temp position). As said, it's useless away from home, too.

Mine seized a couple of times, require dismantling to spin the rotor by hand. Running it for a few seconds each month would prevent this. Mine seems to resist seizure now that it is mounted on a steel plate attached to the aircon compressor mountings on the timing case - the vibration must be keeping it free.

My ford has a block heater. It warms the coolant up to about 40 degrees and then doesn't get much warmer.

Is it really neccessary in the UK though ? Or is it more hassle than it's worth.

G

My ford has a block heater. It warms the coolant up to about 40 degrees and then doesn't get much warmer.

Is it really neccessary in the UK though ? Or is it more hassle than it's worth.

G

Necessary, no, but occasionally beneficial. I'd love a Webasto, but can't afford one.

Well the prices of those systems new are errrr eye watering??!!

I can see lots of used/second hand systems knocking around but all of them seem to have some parts included some missing sooooo.....

What is required to diy fit a system?

Im guessing:-

Heater

Fuel pump

Water pump

exhaust pipe

fuel pipe

water pipe

wiring loom

timer/controller/remote

Instructions if very lucky!

Anything else or suggestions?

Thanks as always

Mark

I,ve had a Webasto heater in now for about five years and is the best mod on the Landrover ever. I t is really easy to install, and even better if you get a cheap remote from ebay, to switch on from inside the house. Much better than driving around waiting for the engine to heat up, burns only 0.23 litre on full power, your engine should be heated up in 10mins, 20mins if really icy, can't beat that, get the Webasto. NOW!

Brian

I built a webasto Thermotop C system from 2nd hadn/new bits all off ebay November last year for around 300 squid, used it quite a bit, definatly makes starting a total breeze, and when we had a bit of a cold day or 2 i put it on while driving to give me a bit more heat in the cab... we didn't really have too much of a cold winter last so never quite got a chance to put it thought its paces properly, definatly glad I've got it. gets the engine up to temp betweem 10-15 minuets.

Mav

Did intend on buying this one...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300722076349?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1655wt_1270

But got back from work too late and missed the ending Grrrrrrr!!!!

The lighting fires trick is more common than you think in some of the former soviet states, seen it a few times over in Bishkek etc, though the temp at the time was -22deg C Brrrrrrrr!!!!