Tips for getting at 200tdi starter motor

Possibly the most irritating job on a 200tdi defender engine. Having gone through 4 starter motors (solenoids kept dying due to swimming lessons). Afraid it's drop the downpipe, whip out the washer bottle and then jiggle it about till it drops out. I want someone to remake the down pipe but i can't see a way that will work.

Possibly the most irritating job on a 200tdi defender engine. Having gone through 4 starter motors (solenoids kept dying due to swimming lessons). Afraid it's drop the downpipe, whip out the washer bottle and then jiggle it about till it drops out. I want someone to remake the down pipe but i can't see a way that will work.

If you want a down pipe making give Jo White a message (also a forum member) and he will tig you one up, to your spec and design, does stainless to.

Thanks all for the info.Looks like pipe and wash bottle off and then the rubber man act then :rolleyes:.

When I had to play about with my starter motors cables I found it easier to undo the exhaust manifold nuts and tilt the whole assembly back towards the wing and remove the inlet manifold as this way you can get to the all the cable as they are jammed up underneath the inlet manifold. If you try and just remove the starter motor you then still may not be able to get to the cables. You may need to remove the screen wash bottle.

Steve

If you want a down pipe making give Jo White a message (also a forum member) and he will tig you one up, to your spec and design, does stainless to.

Thanks all for the info.Looks like pipe and wash bottle off and then the rubber man act then :rolleyes:.

Thanks for the heads up, just need to figure out the design that will work first (doesn't need removing for starter motor)

Ah ok, so flange at bottom of downpipe on TD exhaust. Old 200tdi 90 had this - assumed it was standard, and was still a pain trying to get at the starter motor.

The 110 has a different configuration I believe. Will have a look but thought it was the same? Maybe the solution is to go straight up and over instead - would keep it from being submerged :P

Both VB and I have 110s with 200tdis and the old TD downpipe, so it works on the 110 too. I have since upgraded to a full stainless exhaust but the new downpipe was designed to drop off in the same way as the old TD version.

Both VB and I have 110s with 200tdis and the old TD downpipe, so it works on the 110 too. I have since upgraded to a full stainless exhaust but the new downpipe was designed to drop off in the same way as the old TD version.

me too,

rear end of downpipe has a 3 bolt flange [see 3rd photo here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=11152 ]

upper end to turbo outlet slides on & secured with a ring clamp.

My 90 has a disco 200 tdi fitted and I ended up undoing the exhaust downpipe where it joins the turbo and then remove the manifold off with turbo still attatched this give you plenty of room. allbeit a bit of a faf about.