The time has come

Andyred90

Should I or shouldn't I"...... Sell the D2 and replace with a d3?

I've done all the usual bits to mine which is a 2002 td5 that's done 87k and it's been treated to all the nice bits as well as having all new consumables.

It's worth just under 6k but a d3 will cost at least another 5k on top

Is it worth it for what is not my main car?????

No. The D3 is very nice when it all works but that's kind of the problem, and it can be a horror if (when) it goes wrong, it's one of the new generation of vehicles designed by a computer to be produced efficiently rather than designed by an engineer to be repaired easily.

As such it's a vehicle for people with money to buy new and sell when the warranty expires. If you've got a good D2, my advice is to keep it. It doesn't drive as well on the road but I've still got mine for a reason and it isn't that I can't afford to replace it!

A D2 with a better 6 cyl diesel engine would be Discovery perfection.

Still they seem to sell shedloads of D3s and D4s so what do I know... and it is a nice vehicle when it all works :)

Stick with the D2, it looks better!

Seriously, if you've done all that work, then you know what state its in, and you know whats where and when things were changed, so you've a pretty good idea of what to expect. You'd have to start all over again with a new one

That's another important point changing a vehicle for another second hand one.The grass always looks greener, but it's only after you've had it a few months that you know what the horrors are (and there will be some, on almost any used vehicle of any make). For my part my D2 might be 10 years old but I know it's been properly serviced, I know it's always been kept in a garage in the winter, I know how it has been started sympathetically on cold mornings, I know how it's been driven, and I know it's 45000 miles is genuine. All of that makes it worth more to me than its true market value (ignoring for a moment the fact it's a V8 which is worthless here anyway!). Plus if you have modded the vehicle (I haven't with my D2, but I always do with my Defenders) then you get it exactly the way you want and having changed a couple of Defenders over the years it takes ages to get a new one the way you want it :)

defo keep the D2, them new D3's and D4's just dont have the same appeal, got my D2 4 year ago wi a genuine 17'000mls on the clock and its just turned 39'000 so its here for a few years yet unless a range rover sport turns up at an absolute bargain of course.

I can only echo what the others have said. I considered a D3, but given the cost and difficulty of repairs when things go wrong, i went for a nice low mileage D2 (still go wrong but fine work on with my DIY hands!). As Bogmonster said, i wouldnt have a D3/D4 out of warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for keeping the D2.

I've had my D2 from new and sure it's got a couple of niggles, but I know exactly how it's been treated and how it's been cared for.

I'm not sure i'd want a used D3/4. I've considered a new one a few times, but there's just something about them that makes me walk away from them at the stealership.

D3s are prone to turbo, EGR, air suspension and HEVAC servo failures. Timing belts are a pig to change and clutches on manual versions cost about £1.5k to replace because the entire body shell has to be lifted off the chassis to separated the engine and transmission. They also have weak suspension wishbones and chew up tyres in about 20,000 miles. They're not very economical either, but at 2.5 tonnes, that's hardly surprising. They're extremely capable and comfortable, but they're unreliable and extremely costly to service and repair. Keep the D2.

• 3 weeks later...

When I had a D1 I thought long and hard about changing to a D2 as I had read about complicated/troublesome electronics etc.

When I did change I regretted not doing it much earlier as I found the D2 (2001) to be much superior to the D1 in regard to performance , comfort and the fact the 2 rear seats were forward facing .

It now has 226K mls done ( bought it with 160 K) and it gave me great service . I did change the airbags for coils but otherwise great service .

I am now selling it as the road tax over here is €930 per year - if you tax it at 3 mth intervals it will cost €1005.

I was offered a D3 at a very good price 2 years ago but had learnt enough about them by then to keep away.They seemed to be a poor prospect for DIY and the dlrs would soon clean you out . When I read in a LR magazine that when checking alignment on a D3 there were 14 angles to check it certainly helped make up my mind . My Trakrite wouldn't be much good there .

I had been looking out for a 2004 D2 but the taxman finished that .

Had intended to get a nice clean D2 - I think they look much better than the D3 but thats only a personal opinion .