Did'nt expect this

Defender 90's make me seasick! Can't seem to drive one for more than 1/2 hr before getting car sick! 110's dont do this to me, but are too big for my drive. Is there a change in spring rates for a 90 that can cure their short wheelbase pitching? or any other way?

Mine's a lot better since I swapped the springs about.

I put the standard 90 front springs (approx. 170 lbs) on the rear, and then put 110 SW springs on the front (approx. 150 lbs). This takes the front spring rate from 170 to 154 lbs and the rear from 225 to 170lbs. Result is a much nicer ride.

Or just put a load of weight in the back, half a ton of scrap metal made mine ride like a dream... although fuel economy suffered!

have you checked to see if your shocks are ok? If they're worn and coupled with rusty old saggy sloppy springs you might have a ride like a victorian pram.

90's definately pitch about a lot more than a 110 going fast along a rough track, but I wouldn't have thought it should make that much of a difference on a regular road if everything is working as it should - I regularly swap between a 90, 100 &110 wheelbase and haven't hurled yet.

You can pick up Armstrong shocks for £12 a corner on the 'bay, so worth trying that first before getting the drive extended.

Not quite sure what causes sea/motion sickness for you (no-one say 'motion' :rtfm: right!) but for you, is it too soft and bouncy or just far to harsh and choppy?

If the former, it's likely time for new springs and/or shocks.

My springs have become pretty soft, (they are at least 15 years old) and are comfortably soft at the rear end, rather Range Roverish ride. The downside is that a heavy load or trailer is rather a handful to control.

If on the other hand your truck has been a victim of a heavy duty suspension or lift kit, you'd do well to return to standard springs.

There are other factors such as tyre type and running pressures that will affect the ride too.

It depends a lot on your intended application for your 90, do you tow or run with a heavy load?

Whatever the case, it is possible to get a reasonable ride in a 90.

Thanks for the info. I like Retroanaconda's approach with swapping springs around. I will do this first. I get car sick in any car if I'm not driving but the 90 is first time I get it when I'm driving :mellow:

This may be a side step, but I had a brand new 90 and the standard ride was terrible, being used to 110's. I simply fitted 265 75 16 tyres and the extra rubber softened the suspension off to the extent that it instantly became pleasant to drive :)