Giglepin warn winch upgrades

headhunter

Used it on 4 events did very well just needed to sort the charging system out :o

200amp Premier Power alternator dod the job :D

simple yes or no is it as good as it looks...

Are you happy with it or very impressed with it..

are you running twin 12v or 24v

My two 8274-50's are sat at home ready to drop off to Jim for the new truck so I value your experience with his new toy.

I used Jim’s twin motor 8274 for the Argyll, I’m well happy!

Some have said the twin motor winches had failures on the Argyll……

So did a great many other winches, it was a tough event!

There is a need for a new winch which will happen in the near future but in the meantime we are having to get the most out of what we have.

Jim has taken some stick but he has put his neck on the block by offering something new which needs field trials. It has been said to me that you should not take anything new to a major event, stick with the tried and tested. Where can you test a winch better than in a true challenge environment? Jim and I took that risk, I ran out of battery and Jim stripped the motor gears when a ground anchor let go. If both winches had performed all weekend Butplug may not have taken the trophy.

Jim is working on sorting the weakness in the top end and I am looking into adequate charging and batteries, as far as I know we were the only team running 24v with twin XP’s, the speed and power is phenomenal! Trouble is we can draw 1000 amps which needs some serious batteries, alternator, switching and wiring.

To answer John’s question, on 12v go for it, it worked for Pete, on 24v wait a while till we sort things out.

Take a look HERE , video at bottom of page.

Agyll Forest - that explains the number of tasty Land Rovers I saw last weekend on the A82 around Loch Lomond. If you were on the road and wondered why some odd bloke in a silver Mercedes rag top was waving it you like a mong - that will have been me :lol:

Hello all,

We have the bottom end of the 8274 'Bullet-proof' using our uprated mainshaft and shim kit. And before the advent of twin motors have never smashed a top housing and i have tried...! :D

And as we all know, we have recently been using twin motors with great success, Until Argyll........

The problem exists with the standard gears, intermediate shaft and the needle rollers they run on.

We have already been redesigned and are waiting for parts to field trial.

Myself and Paul pushed the line at Argyll by running twin 12 XP motors and then running 24volt through them :blink:

Unbelievabable is the only way to describe it.

But for most i would recommend 12 volts, and trust me this pullls like you won't beleive.

Give me a call and i'll talk you through the upgrades available and not available at present, or check out the website

www.gigglepin4x4.net

Cheers

Jim :)

Paul youn make me giggle :lol:

Quote: If both winches had performed all weekend Butplug may not have taken the trophy.

How many times have you gloated out of the back of your meals on wheels truck about you must finish an event to win it :rolleyes:

How about up to now 90% on my truck was all experimental & teething troubles but did you hear me bitch about loosing :P

As you well know my front winch died Sataurday am then after repairing it Sat night it died again on Sunday ! Did you not put a spare winch on Saturday night & it work all day Sunday .

Come on you wrinkly old tart admit it like i have many times before you got proper F***ed "yes just like de Germans" :P

We beat you by a 3rd didnt we & we wernt late back infact 45 mins early both days & stuck behind Cheviot for 2 hrs helping { UMMMMMMM ! would you of helped UMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!}

Perhaps you should stick to COR events were big boys arnt allowed to play & you can winch youself around to your hearts desire "Technically" of course rather than drive a section :lol:

Come on Paul give us a KIss you might win next time if we break down :D:D:D

Paul youn make me giggle :lol:

Quote: If both winches had performed all weekend Butplug may not have taken the trophy.

How many times have you gloated out of the back of your meals on wheels truck about you must finish an event to win it :rolleyes:

How about up to now 90% on my truck was all experimental & teething troubles but did you hear me bitch about loosing :P

As you well know my front winch died Sataurday am then after repairing it Sat night it died again on Sunday ! Did you not put a spare winch on Saturday night & it work all day Sunday .

Come on you wrinkly old tart admit it like i have many times before you got proper F***ed "yes just like de Germans" :P

We beat you by a 3rd didnt we & we wernt late back infact 45 mins early both days & stuck behind Cheviot for 2 hrs helping { UMMMMMMM ! would you of helped UMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!}

Perhaps you should stick to COR events were big boys arnt allowed to play & you can winch youself around to your hearts desire "Technically" of course rather than drive a section :lol:

Come on Paul give us a KIss you might win next time if we break down :D:D:D

Pete, you have got me all wrong!

You (and Bryn) won the Argyll outright and with style, no argument, congratulations!

I’m not at all bitter, the best men won!muchbowing.gif

PETE AND BRYN WON THE ARGYLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!clap.gif

Now I hope that got through, I love you Pete, I worship the ground you walk on, if you could bottle a fart for me I would be forever in your debt.

I’m not bitching about not wining, just explaining to the nice people here how our weekend went. We were not late back, we were recovering a dead 90 out of a section (QUOTE/would you of helped UMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!}/QUOTE) when most were off for a shower and grub.

As for the Bulldog, you won’t see me there again, nothing technical on that event. Although I am eligible to enter as I do not need tyres the size of Hampshire to get out of the car park! scared0016.gif

You can stuff your etectric winches were the sun don't shine

HYDRAULIC is the way :D

my 8274's winches are for sale next week on eblag :D

shaft drive type ® here we come nearly twice as fast as 8274 and don't run out of battery :angry:

come on next year :D

Thats for that <_<

2 jars of freshly squeexed coming your way :D

Perhaps if you fitted bigger tyres to your zimmer frame you wouldnt need such a big winch !!!!

Hey thinking of that why not try the motor off your mobility chair on the winch :o

Or better still twin wheel chair motors :blink: With colostomy bags wired up for cooling :lol:

1000A

(Please don't try to explan I don't understand electrics of any nature :unsure: )

But I can wire ECU's with ease but not a spot light or stereo

:lol::lol::lol:

Anyone who has seen under jules jules bonnett will know

Never a truer word spoken even while elctrods conected to his scotum

:lol::lol:

they do tend to keep working though Jim without having to be replaced or repaired in a two day competition so I guess its only a matter of time before one of them gets lucky?

Please don't think of this as critisim....

Just purely stating a fact.......

The honest truth is i think hyd winches will be world beaters inside the next 3 years.....

But not yet :D

As for the ampages being bantered, That is only for those using 12 volt motors at 24 volt and then under extreme load... :rolleyes:

The motors do not tend to get anything like under those sort of loads, due to the fact they are paired and there fore assisting each other :P

Using just 12 volt we have found that 2 batteries and 100 amp alternaters are sufficent to winch all day long.

Which is nice.... :lol:

We are going to be doing full ampage and load tests very shortly, and i must stress they will be unbiased so that I can see whats happening :)

Am not intrested in inflated figures or Bullsh*t, it just gets in the way :lol:

Regards

Jim :)