Anyone using Insa Turbo Dakar's?

ejparrott

Kettle really needs new tyres, her current ones getting somewhat worn now. I've been looking at the Dakar's as they seem to be the same tread pattern I've been using, just wondering if anyone's using them and can recommend them...or not! I know one chap with a 2286 diesel using them on his off-roading 88 and he thinks they're ok.

Kettle is mainly a road car at the end of the day, but we do like to go steady laning, and the occasional winter play is always enjoyed but tends to be avoided, partly because of the current lack of tread and subsequent grip.

I do not want special tracks, friends 110 has them and is noisy as! Did also look at the Sahara's, but thought they might be a bit too noisy aswell, maybe, all other suggestions in the £100 bracket welcomed.

Thanks

yeah... they have not impressed us. Very much a budget MT tyre. Dont get me wrong theyre as good as most MT's in the mud, but on the road they hum, wear and handling is terrible.

For an all road, VERY hard wearing budget tyre id buy some of these: http://www.paddockspares.com/land-rover-wheels-and-tyres/enduro-tyres/at-all-terrain-pattern.html

The tread pattern is slightly more aggressive when you actually see them, They IMHO would suit your needs far greater than Dakars.

How many miles do you intend to do on them? My friend runs dakars as a winter tyre and having done 10,000 miles on them they're almost worn out.

That's rubbish! My Traction Tracks have happily done 35,000miles. Getting close to needing new ones but still a few k more in them.

i have had the same set of dakars on my disco and previously my rangie and after 6 years and about 20,000 miles they still have about 8 mm of tread left.

about 75% of this was offroad, they are now loosing the bite in the mud as all the knobblies have worn, but i would replace with the same without a question

I've got Insa Turbo Sahara's on my 88" - they are definitely an off road tyre rather than on road - at about 45mph they get very noisy!

If your budget is £100 a corner, dependant on size you might be able to get something like General AT2s or Cooper Discoverer ATRs - I've had both of those on my LC and they worked well in all conditions and last a long time (Generals were 40K+ miles, Coopers have been on there 15K so far and bearly look worn at all). They also have the advantage of not being remoulds...

I had a set of Dakars that were the same tread pattern as the old BFG MT. They weren't that worn, but the sidewalls had perished noticeably. Trouble is that INSA tyres are remoulds, and IMO that means they wear out quicker as the compound is softer than most new tyres

my sahara's lasted 15,000 then they contributed greatly into putting me through a wall. im now on goodyear's

insa's are great off road cant fault them but on road in wet conditions they are a bit exciting, and unlike better makes, dont seem to give you any signs of letting go of the road, they just suddenly go.

After testing my pressure gauges. :blink:

Had to wait 'til this morning anyway!

AT2's hav never struck me as particuarly agressive for some reason, I've always thought of them as an aggressive road tyre more than anything else. Ok so I'm not in to mud plugging and I don't head for the sheep dips at Coney with Kettle, I'm quite prepared to be proved wrong though. Going rate for them seems to be about £115 which is doable - I think I'll probably only be buying 4 to start with, and using one of the current tyres as a spare until I can get a fifth.

More research!

General AT2s? As said earlier, I had them for ages, although not on a LR. They worked very well in the snow, rain, shine etc. They got a bit clogged with mud when I took them round the Abingdon 4x4 day. How about Cooper STTs? They are more chunky than the AT2 and seem to be very well regarded :)

If you aren't going to damage the tyre off-road it's probably worth spending a bit more on a tyre that will last longer in mileage terms. I'd rather spend less on a tyre and sacrifice mileage as I am more likely to damage a sidewall than I am wear the tread out. Saying that my Insas have done 35000+ miles and were half the price of BFG's, so yes, the BFG's last longer but not twice as long. And I have trashed a BFG AT in a couple of thousand miles before. Cut the side wall and so it was scrapped. THAT hurt!

My Dakars are on 12'000 miles and worn down from 16mm to 13mm, with considerable offroad use....so that 10k quote above is rubbish

not necessarily. its all about how vehicles are driven on the road that determines the tire life.. my mum fitted budget tyres to her car 2 1/2 years ago, still got about 4-6 left because its driven carefully and my friend went through a set on 4 months diving like an idiot..

its depends on the driving style so you cant say is rubbish. ;)

cant say its rubbish, because i took 1mm off my insa's off road before they went on the road, then took an inch off in less than a year on road. i.e. with a remould the tyre life entirely depends on driving style and the rubber they use at the time of casting.

• 3 months later...

What about Grabber TR's, standard fit by Land Rover for some years?

When I bought my 90 it came with these fitted, and I have to say I've never known a tyre wear so slowly! I believe they have a reputation for lasting a long, long time. For me, they behaved really well on tarmac, were quiet and apparently they give better fuel economy than a 'proper' AT tyre.

They were also pretty good in the snow we've had the last few winters, although the few times they've seen wet, slippy clay they didn't cope very well at all. But with their tread pattern/class of tyre I suppose you can't expect too much from them in those kind of conditions.