Galvanised chassis a modification?

Hi

Just wondering if people know whether insurance companies class a galavanised chassis as a modification and so you have to declare it?

As far as I'm concerned its just a straight swap, old (damaged) for new, is it not? technically no modification has been done.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Chris

Declarable modification or not, I firmly believe in telling them everything about my vehicles, on the basis that every little detail they can check in the event of a theft.

This theory was reinforced when we went to collect Kettle from the compound after our accident....11 landrovers in there...all stolen recovered...but no proof of who the owner was because only the registration plate was recorded on DVLA's system :( There was a lovely early '72 SIII 109 in there, and a 90 with all the toys - looked like it had just been finished and not yet had a chance to play, it had a perfect lime green paint job, but not enough to tie it to one single owner.

An insurance company once told me that a "modification" is anything that changes it from the spec from which it left the factory. They went on to add that "purely cosmetic" modifications, they would just add to the vehicle details, and shouldn't affect the premium at all. However, in the event of an accident, if they found a modification that hadn't been declared, then they need not pay out. Therefore it would be much safer to tell them in my opinion.

OK, here's what I've been wondering for some time: how are the replacement (non OE) chassis made? Aren't genuine ones made from 2x formed C-sections welded together? But are the replacements? Am I wrong in thinking that the replacements are made from 4x shaped strips, jigged then welded up? IF this is the case, for me they don't really qualify as like-for-like/straight swap, and if I was looking at a claim, I might just be tempted to argue the toss... but as I'm too poor to buy a shiny new one, it's not something I worry about :)

I'm sure at least one of the chassis companies are counted as "original replacement" or whatever the term is. I'm with Western, tell them everything, then they can't wriggle out of anything.

I haven't said anything in this thread until now, tell your insurance co, then they cannot wriggle out of any claims if the vehicle is stolen or involved in a accident.

Also if you fit a new chassis what happens to your old chassis no? Is it "lost" or is the old number stamped in the new one? Or will it then pass the MOT/DOE with no number? What dos one tell the insurance co?

Patrick

( if i have hijacked your post ChrisLR2 i do apoligise!!)

Also if you fit a new chassis what happens to your old chassis no? Is it "lost" or is the old number stamped in the new one? Or will it then pass the MOT/DOE with no number? What dos one tell the insurance co?

Patrick

( if i have hijacked your post ChrisLR2 i do apoligise!!)

When you destroy your old chassis you stamp the same number on the new chassis. It is common to keep the piece of the old chassis that has the number stamped on it.

A NEW replacement chassis wouldn't technically be a modification but it would significantly increase the value of the vehicle as such the insurance company need to know if for no other reason than if you do end up making a claim you want the value of a restored? vehicle with a new chassis not a standard vehicle of that age. It might also be possible for the insurnace company to wriggle out of the theft cover as since the vehicle is worth more than normal if you haven't declared this it would be a higher theft risk than normal so not covered. Would be nice to think insurance companies wouldn't use every imaginable dodge to get out of paying but it isn't always to case so best to declare it then you are covered, in my experience if you want to declare a higher value than "standard" then you need to justify why, I did this with several of mine, all on modified policies as rebuilds progressed and never had any problems or significant increases in premiums.?